Wikiposts

Exchange rate

Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:15 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Exchange rate

steve666, yo are entiteld to your opinions, even though they border on the inane.

A weaker pound is the best thing for the U.K., it makes their exports more competitive, results in more jobs for people, makes the U.K a more attractive travel destination, makes locating their for Foreign companies more feasible.

A few people may be somewhat , mildly,influenced by a change in rates, but a lower pound sterling is overall beneficial to the U.K.

I would guess that you have had little formal education, I have a post Grad in Economics, I never drove a truck, but I did have a V.P of Logistics who looked after those kind of things.

I suggest you do a little reading, you would find that the strengthening $CDN is a major concern to Manafacturers, and since when did you speak for others???
Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:21 am
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Howard1944
steve666, yo are entiteld to your opinions, even though they border on the inane.

A weaker pound is the best thing for the U.K., it makes their exports more competitive, results in more jobs for people, makes the U.K a more attractive travel destination, makes locating their for Foreign companies more feasible.

A few people may be somewhat , mildly,influenced by a change in rates, but a lower pound sterling is overall beneficial to the U.K.

I would guess that you have had little formal education, I have a post Grad in Economics, I never drove a truck, but I did have a V.P of Logistics who looked after those kind of things.

I suggest you do a little reading, you would find that the strengthening $CDN is a major concern to Manafacturers, and since when did you speak for others???
No, I think you could be more tactful at times too!

And I'm married to a guy with 3 Economics degrees, doesn't man di*ksh*t at the end of the day!
Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

I was nice to you about your comments on a previous post but guess what I DO NOT have a post Grad in Economics and I DO drive a truck/hgv don't bother replying your the 1st on my ignore list,

a really pissed off house seller !!
Rosie
Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:30 am
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beebop
No, I think you could be more tactful at times too!

And I'm married to a guy with 3 Economics degrees, doesn't man di*ksh*t at the end of the day!
Oh, I forgot to say my dad and brother are lorry drivers.....a proper job, if ever there was one and a damn hard way to earn a living.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
I question your motives posting on this web site. ...... Making comments such as that just alienate you from the rest of us.
I suspect Howard is not interested as to whether he alienates himself. He does it all the time, and with practically every post. And in the MBTTUK section too.
Howard, you are happy in Canada - I think we all get that now - but making your incisive but particularly unhelpful comments all the time on matters that may be sensitive, anxiety-ridden or emotional for others will never win you any friends on here. Like many, I just don't get your motives for making your posts, apart from to wind people up. But you are happy in your world, I guess, alone in there .....

This may or many not be the case. I, too, do not have an economics degree. Again, you can take a hint that this whole thread - all 33 pages of it - has been banter and chatter about how the exchange rate is going, why it might be happening and how it affects those moving to Canada.
Empathy ain't your strong point Howard - but even your economics degree should have taught you to 'know your market' ....
Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:43 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Howard whilst i do not have a degree in economics i have run a small business for 10 years, in a macro economic situation yes you are right a weak pound is fairly good for UK business, but i don't think you have noticed that BE is not a large corporate forum, it is forum of people that, $3000-$5000 (or more) is an awful lot of money especially when some of us are risking an awful lot on a new and exciting life.

I would suggest that before you make potentially inflammatory statements that you read a post fully, because if you had read this post properly you may have realised that a lot of people are hurting over the strong dollar

Steve
Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

You're so far up our own arse you must have problems breathing.

Mildly influenced? When was the last time you stepped out of your house?

Like the poster before me, you're on my ignore list.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:58 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

You're so far up our own arse you must have problems breathing.

Mildly influenced? When was the last time you stepped out of your house?

Like the poster before me, you're on my ignore list.
Agreed.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:11 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL
http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...tm/troller.htm
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Danny B
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:31 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Guess your economics class did not teach grammar & spelling eh? Before casting disparaging remarks about others, suggest you look closer to home.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I question your motives posting on this web site. I would say that there are a very high percentage of people on this forum who are watching the fall of the pound to the Cd dollar with some anxiety, even with trepidation. Making comments such as that just alienate you from the rest of us. I try to ignore your drivel and put it down to some form of insanity but, hey! For all I know you're a great guy and good friend to your dog but for sh%^t sake keep your inane unhelpful comments to yourself.
We moved here in 2004 and I think at the beginning of that summer the rate for the canadian dollar was something like around 2.50 and by the time we got here in September and transferred our money across it was more like 2.26. It wasn't nice and we certainly felt like we'd lost out. When I see what it's like now I'm grateful for what we got.

As I now plan a trip back to the UK the rate the rate is obviously good for a visit so it's just about what works for each of us. I feel for all you guys but it's just personal circumstances and how life is but it's not nice I know. Gains and losses.

Howard seems like an awkward individual or likes to get a reaction and he's achieving that. I think it's better to ignore someone by not telling them that you're going to ignore them and avoid feeding the fire.

Last edited by stepnek; Oct 18th 2007 at 6:36 am.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

TinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Indeed.

Something of minor interest -

Sterling: US Dollar, approx 1:2.04
Sterling: Canadian Dollar, approx 1:1.98
Canadian Dollar: US Dollar, approx 1:1.02

My maths may be a bit shaky but given the above you'd seem to get more out of doing a three way shuffle from Sterling to US to CA$ than you would from moving Sterling directly into CA$.

If you have the international accounts to support that sort of thing, of course.

Wonder why that is / if that is in fact the case.

I put this a few days ago to the FX co. i am using, and they advised against it - they said with the cuts they take and a 3 currency risk instead of 2 definitley to be avoided. I thought it would be simple enough( i'm sure its my inexperience and ignorance of fx), maybe someone in the know could be more specific as to why not? please.....
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:57 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but Howard you are missing the point - Steve666 isn't interested in what's the "best thing for the UK" - he is interested in what's best for him and his family. I expect everyone else on here feels the same because, after all, they are all leaving the UK! The strength of the UK manufacturing sector is not a concern. Nor is the amont of tourism revenue that flows into the UK.

What people are concerned about is maximising the results of working hard all their lives to save and build-up equity in the homes and using that to provide the best life for their families in Canada that they can. Those might seem like slightly selfish objectives but having been in business I would have thought you more than anyone would relate to them.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:16 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Come now Howard, 'fess up. You're the Hyde to dbd33's Jeckyll aren't you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.