Exchange rate

Old Nov 30th 2006, 1:22 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange rate

Right, that's it. I'm bringing my pounds over. I base my calculations on an average of $2.2, so I think the time is right.

If you see the rate shoot up to $2.5 overnight in about two weeks, that'll be because the pounds arrived the day before.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

angelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really nice

Originally Posted by welshchem
I needed to sell mine quickly for the move to Toronto so wifey rang around the local landlords. We've sold to a landlady for less than we would have got through an estate agent but we didn't have to pay any fees as we sold privately.

The other plus is once they've agreed to buy they can get a mortgage very quickly using their other houses as collateral.
Don't talk to me about selling houses. Ours has been on the market since APRIL. Two offers (one fell through, one was ridiculously low) two people who've returned for a second look, and a price drop of £6000....actually, it was the non mov ement in the house sale that convinced us we should just take our time and move to Canada!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 2:08 pm
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

Originally Posted by angelic_fruitcake
Don't talk to me about selling houses. Ours has been on the market since APRIL. Two offers (one fell through, one was ridiculously low) two people who've returned for a second look, and a price drop of £6000....actually, it was the non mov ement in the house sale that convinced us we should just take our time and move to Canada!

We've been really fortunate with all aspects of our move. We both had interviews last July and managed to sort out an intra company transfer for the wife and a post doctoral research position for myself. As both are exempt from having to have HRSDC exemption we've had no hassles. Mrs Welshchem has been in work in Toronto for 7 weeks now and I'm flying over on the 20th of December when I've submitted my PhD.

When I think of the stresses we've had in the past 6 months I feel so sorry for people who have to wait years without knowing what's going to happen.

All I can say is I hope you sell your home and Canada is all you hope for

Welshchem
Old Nov 30th 2006, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Investor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud of

Moneycorp spot rate is currently 2.239
Old Nov 30th 2006, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Over $2.24 now as the US dollar sinks without a trace...
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

NewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkG
Over $2.24 now as the US dollar sinks without a trace...
Yet the USD is more than holding its own against CDN?

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/f...3/intraday.stm

A fair chunk of the $2.243 (and rising) is down to that.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, because a fair chunk of the Canadian economy is a result of the US economy .
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

NewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkG
Yeah, because a fair chunk of the Canadian economy is a result of the US economy .
And apparently, in even worse a state!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../Business/home

Or rather, not in as buoyant a situation as had previously been thought. :scared:

Whatever the reason, I just hope it stays there until Feb.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nivlad
Just looked at the rbc website and if you want to buy Can$ with British pounds they will give you $2.1726 but if you want to buy british pounds they will exchange at $2.26

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/RBC:RW3L...l/fxconvert.pl
We are with RBC and last week when HIFX's spot rate was 2.18 the bank offered us 2.2 over the counter, the manager then told us he would increase this as we were exchanging a large amount.

This was £ to Canadian $

Linda
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:14 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Linda P
We are with RBC and last week when HIFX's spot rate was 2.18 the bank offered us 2.2 over the counter, the manager then told us he would increase this as we were exchanging a large amount.

This was £ to Canadian $

Linda
yep I heard yeah, but I think they got it wrong (I am not saying you have!). Like I said before I hope you snapped their hands off. Also, as the rate is close to $2:25 today (inter-bank rate with HiFX) you should go back again and see if they offer you $2:27. You could be on a real earner
Old Nov 30th 2006, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

yep I heard yeah, but I think they got it wrong (I am not saying you have!). Like I said before I hope you snapped their hands off. Also, as the rate is close to $2:25 today (inter-bank rate with HiFX) you should go back again and see if they offer you $2:27. You could be on a real earner

We will be .....as soon as our money hit's our account.

I'll let you know what rate we get!!!!

Linda
Old Dec 1st 2006, 1:28 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

and still it goes up, currently $2.255 on hifx
Old Dec 1st 2006, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

markw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant future

Grrr always the way I took a punt at 2.2 now perhaps regretting my caution glad i didnt exchange it all perhaps may be time to look at it again. oh well such is....
Old Dec 1st 2006, 1:37 pm
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

and still it goes up, currently $2.255 on hifx
I opened a HIFX account and call me a wuss if you like but does it bother anyone else to transfer their entire life savings to a company for transfer.

I don't know why I feel safer with HSBC but I do, at the same time though the rate with HIFX is really tempting. Anyone care to put my mind at rest?
Old Dec 1st 2006, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

angelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really nice

Originally Posted by welshchem
We've been really fortunate with all aspects of our move. We both had interviews last July and managed to sort out an intra company transfer for the wife and a post doctoral research position for myself. As both are exempt from having to have HRSDC exemption we've had no hassles. Mrs Welshchem has been in work in Toronto for 7 weeks now and I'm flying over on the 20th of December when I've submitted my PhD.

When I think of the stresses we've had in the past 6 months I feel so sorry for people who have to wait years without knowing what's going to happen.

All I can say is I hope you sell your home and Canada is all you hope for

Welshchem
Awww thanks.

Job wise, assuming that H's company plays ball, we'll come over on an inter company transfer and at least the security of knowing that one of us will have a decent job on arrival. The house sale will pay off all debts and mortgage and costs, leaving a little bit over - and due to circumstances in the civil service where I work that are too complimacated to go into, I'm hoping to get an early voluntary exit payout next year (September) which will top up the pot nicely so we have enough to be going on with when we arrive.

Plus, if we move into rented early next year, assuming we do sell soon (we have TWO confirmed second viewings this weekend) we can save money through not having to pay loans and debts any more, and until September/October we can rent somewhere smallish and just save as much as we can.

The two major stepping stones and areas where the dastardly plan could fall down are H's company being obstructive...and the house just not selling. but by the law of averages, it must sell soon. We get a lot of viewings. It's not only us...the two similar properties near us both sold for way under the original asking price...and the new development across the road is resorting to offering £750 legal costs, stamp duty paid AND a free HD wide screen telly to flog their overpriced houses...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.