Exchange rate

Old Nov 29th 2006, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by kt0157
You can even take spread bets on the house price market now. So if you are trying to sell your house, but can't yet (e.g. visa hasn't turned up) you can bet that the market will fall. Then if it does, what you lose on your house you win on the bet. And if it doesn't, what you lose on the bet you win on your house.

K.
Don't mention "selling the house" it's a real pain at the moment. Very quiet with potential buyers and those that do come round often seem to be ill prepared and ask questions which they would have known the answers to if only they read the details. The last person asked "what price is it up for"
Old Nov 29th 2006, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Don't mention "selling the house" it's a real pain at the moment. Very quiet with potential buyers and those that do come round often seem to be ill prepared and ask questions which they would have known the answers to if only they read the details. The last person asked "what price is it up for"
Yes, I had "buyers" to my house say things like "if our house were on the market" (i.e. they just fancied a morning looking round someone's house).

K.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 11:24 am
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

I needed to sell mine quickly for the move to Toronto so wifey rang around the local landlords. We've sold to a landlady for less than we would have got through an estate agent but we didn't have to pay any fees as we sold privately.

The other plus is once they've agreed to buy they can get a mortgage very quickly using their other houses as collateral.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly $2.22 now...
Old Nov 29th 2006, 11:40 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds complicated although i guess it's worth consideration.
Finance is not my strong point. (Should have paid more attenion in school)
Not something that they will ever teach in schools....

I had a go, lost a bit of money, had another go recently and whilst I understand what to do, I've decided not to continue.

It's not something you should try unless you really understand what you are doing with money - depends on the particular spreadbet, but it can be quite quick so you have to be decisive and know when to quit.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yonk
Not something that they will ever teach in schools....

I had a go, lost a bit of money, had another go recently and whilst I understand what to do, I've decided not to continue.

It's not something you should try unless you really understand what you are doing with money - depends on the particular spreadbet, but it can be quite quick so you have to be decisive and know when to quit.
Decisive and know when to quit doesn't sum me up.
Gave up smoking twice, it was easy, then again so was starting again a few days later!
Old Nov 29th 2006, 12:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Decisive and know when to quit doesn't sum me up.
Gave up smoking twice, it was easy, then again so was starting again a few days later!
Giving up is easy. I gave up for nine months once after reading Alan Carr's book. Then I went to a party..... I'm still kicking myself. Next time I quit I'll go on the wagon too.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Giving up is easy. I gave up for nine months once after reading Alan Carr's book. Then I went to a party..... I'm still kicking myself. Next time I quit I'll go on the wagon too.
Jeez, that would be a double whammy, giving up smoking and drinking all at once. You would get so stressed you would need a smoke and a drink to clam your nerves.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:24 pm

On the subject of Alan Carr, I notice that the press today is reporting his death from lung cancer. I wonder why the delay? When I was in the UK at the end of October I went for a medical. Carr came up in conversation. The doctor indicated to me that Carr had died of lung cancer.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
On the subject of Alan Carr, I notice that the press today is reporting his death from lung cancer. I wonder why the delay? When I was in the UK at the end of October I went for a medical. Carr came up in conversation. The doctor indicated to me that Carr had died of lung cancer.
Yes his website states he died at 6.25 GMT at his home in Spain today 29/11/06 ?
Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

angelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really nice

Re the exchange rate - we budgeted our wedding and honeymoon out at the start of 2005 ( 11 nights in Banff Springs Hotel, 8 night in Toronto Royal York, the wedding at BSH, trips all planned, car hire, internal transfers, Banff National Park passes, everything) and by the time we went in December the exchange rate had changed so much to our detriment that we ended up paying around 40% more than we originally budgeted for!

It's gone back the other way again now - I think it was around $1:96 per £ when we were out there.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:43 pm

Yes his website states he died at 6.25 GMT at his home in Spain today 29/11/06 ?
That is a pretty categorical statement. Hopefully the doctor was wrong about a couple of other things too.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:04 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Linda P
we called into our bank...RBC and were offered 2.2 over the counter, the manager also told us that he would do better than that as we were changing a large amount.. this was last week when HIFX spot rate was 2.18.

We have since been told that generally Canadian banks offer the best rates here!

Linda
I find this hard to believe especially as the inter-bank rate was at best 2:185. If they offered you $2:20 per pound I hope you snapped their had off? Ihave changed a lot of money since 1995 and although the Canadian banks don't rip you off like british ones it is usually better to go through a foreign exchange broker. Did you have to pounds on you or was it wired? The good thing about HiFX is that wiring is free (well they do make money on the 2cents below inter-bank rate they offer).
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:11 pm
OMG - I'm back

Just looked at the rbc website and if you want to buy Can$ with British pounds they will give you $2.1726 but if you want to buy british pounds they will exchange at $2.26

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/RBC:RW3L...l/fxconvert.pl
Old Nov 30th 2006, 1:02 pm
OMG - I'm back

Inter bank rate up over $2.23 today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.