Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The eternal question...

The eternal question...

Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:02 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default The eternal question...

$70,000 pa, mortgage of $50,000 over 20 years, family of two adults and one 8 year old. Don't spend huge amounts on luxuries but don't sit huddled around a candle at home either .

A resonably comfortable lifestyle in say London Ontario ?
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:04 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The eternal question...

Originally Posted by Tangram
$70,000 pa, mortgage of $50,000 over 20 years, family of two adults and one 8 year old. Don't spend huge amounts on luxuries but don't sit huddled around a candle at home either .

Job offer?
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

yes I would think so for London ON.
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

Bsed on my own siutaion and numbers I think you can have a good life based on this....as always you need to plan and be careful...but I think it is definitely doable

Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:09 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Job offer?
LOL still waiting for phone call but being prepared !!

Hows the teeth ?
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

With an average household income of $50,000, and running costs averaging half that without mortgage ..... I think so. And I thought you were in finance.

Sitting in London Hilton, Ont as I type watching the snow blowing.

(Just bought a house) (waiting for PPR)
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:11 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
With an average household income of $50,000, and running costs averaging half that without mortgage ..... I think so. And I thought you were in finance.

Sitting in London Hilton, Ont as I type watching the snow blowing.

(Just bought a house) (waiting for PPR)
Used to be...IT for the last 15 years
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd think that'd work. After a year or so you might be able to switch the mortgage to bi-weekly payments so as to pay it off in time for the eight year old to go to university and land you with a new wodge of debt.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:12 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'd think that'd work. After a year or so you might be able to switch the mortgage to bi-weekly payments so as to pay it off in time for the eight year old to go to university and land you with a new wodge of debt.
Yeah that would be about right DB
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:20 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL still waiting for phone call but being prepared !!

Hows the teeth ?
I must of figured the times zones incorrectly; that wouldn't be a first.

My teeth are good, thanks! All patched up, pain free... mostly.

Good luck with the call!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Should be comfortable. Remember to save using the RRSP and RESP options though to maximise your tax rebate and to be prepared for the future.

Good Luck!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:06 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Smile Re: The eternal question...

Originally Posted by iaink
Should be comfortable. Remember to save using the RRSP and RESP options though to maximise your tax rebate and to be prepared for the future.

Good Luck!
Quick update..... 2nd i/v went well, lots of questions about how quick I could be over ( still no mention of money !! ) but 3rd i/v to be arranged over the next couple of weeks with MORE Tech Directors. How many more of the same questions need answering LOL

Thanks for the well wishes from everyone on here in this and other threads.

Have a great day !
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Great news Paul!

Sounds really positive. Friends of ours waited ages for his employers to comfirm the nitty gritty like pay and conditions. They were beginning to think it was all off. Next thing they know it's Welcome aboard! like there had never been any question about it!
Maybe it's a canadian thing!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:14 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Quick update..... 2nd i/v went well, lots of questions about how quick I could be over ( still no mention of money !! ) but 3rd i/v to be arranged over the next couple of weeks with MORE Tech Directors. How many more of the same questions need answering LOL

Thanks for the well wishes from everyone on here in this and other threads.

Have a great day !
Its not unusual to go through several rounds over here. Its a positive sign believe it or not. When it comes to money the first one to mention a hard number usually looses

Just be clear in your mind what you will settle for and stick to it. If they want to hire you, you are in the drivers seat, they dont want to spend a long time going through all this again either...just be realistic though and dont ask for the moon if you know there is probably someone else in the wings as a second choice, but remember they will probably be more flexible before they hire you over things like vacation and moving expenses than they will after they own you!