Reload this Page >

Children Citizenship

Children Citizenship

Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

toyer1 is on a distinguished road
Smile Children Citizenship

Hi all,

Just a quickie, I think I was told earlier in the year that because my children are young (3&6) that I can apply for citizenship for both of them as soon as we land, so once they are canadian citizens they can't throw out Mum and Dad (a loophole apparently). Anyone heard of this or experienced it? Or did I dream it?

Thanks
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:22 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children Citizenship

Hi

Originally Posted by toyer1
Hi all,

Just a quickie, I think I was told earlier in the year that because my children are young (3&6) that I can apply for citizenship for both of them as soon as we land, so once they are canadian citizens they can't throw out Mum and Dad (a loophole apparently). Anyone heard of this or experienced it? Or did I dream it?

Thanks
Nope, when you apply for Citizenship and meet the residency requirement, your minor children can be included in the application even if they don't meet the residency requirement 3 years in the 4 prior to applying. See:http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/...h/cp/cp04e.pdf

PMM
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks

The residence requirement does not apply to children under 18, however they normally expect a parent to be a Canadian citizen (or an applicant for citizenship). So they won't generally get citizenship until you do, or unless they pursue it independently as adults.

Jeremy
Old Nov 25th 2005, 2:26 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

Thanks

the best way to manage that would be to have another child in Canada and then wait 18 years for that child to sponsor you in!

Alternatively, after 3 years of PR, apply to be a citizen. Then wait 12 to 18 months (!!! :scared: !!!) for them to work through the mountain of applications to call you to sit the test.

TTFN

Clare