Reload this Page >

'Estimator' Roles in Alberta/British Columbia

'Estimator' Roles in Alberta/British Columbia

Old Jan 8th 2013, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Slimslim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Estimator' Roles in Alberta/British Columbia

Hi All.

I currently work in London as an Assistant Surveyor and I'm interested in fulfilling my ambition of moving abroad to Canada. The firm I currently work for is a 'small' (Turnover; £7-8m) main-contractor which has enabled me to work across the board in Project Managing, Surveying and Estimating numerous projects. Thanks to a very steep learning curve and a lot of hard work and some great advice.

Interested to know whether Canadian employers would consider me if I don't have a specific QS Degree...? Currently been working for the company for just under a year but despite the short time period I've headed projects costed at £1.5m....

Any Info would be very appreciated! As I am currently eligible for a Working Holiday Visa (21 Years of Age) but I would prefer heading over with at least a TWP to ensure my partner would be able to travel over and work as well.

Thank you in advance!

Old Jan 8th 2013, 5:33 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Estimator' Roles in Alberta/British Columbia

you would be classed as a trainee often called EIT (Engineer in Training)...if that's any help?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 5:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slimslim
Any Info would be very appreciated! As I am currently eligible for a Working Holiday Visa (21 Years of Age) but I would prefer heading over with at least a TWP to ensure my partner would be able to travel over and work as well.
Is she over 30 then? What does she do? It may be that her occupation is a better option for a LMO/TWP.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

No she's 20. She will have been employed as a financial assistant for a year in March. Her role is effectively as an assistant to her firm's accountant and she has literary just started a book-keeping college course this evening...

Thank you for the replies.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No she's 20. She will have been employed as a financial assistant for a year in March. Her role is effectively as an assistant to her firm's accountant and she has literary just started a book-keeping college course this evening...

Thank you for the replies.
OK, so why not both get an WHV? That would be much easier than finding an employer prepared to go through the hassle/wait/paperwork of hiring you tbh.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

True....Tbh this will more than likely be the route that we would take....

However I am interested in any info relating to the job market for Estimators at my level.

Thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:37 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

True....Tbh this will more than likely be the route that we would take....

However I am interested in any info relating to the job market for Estimators at my level.

Thanks.
As i stated you would not be classed as an Estimator because of your age, lack of vocational qualifications and experience..at best you would be classed as an EIT but not sure how that would work either as you are not in college or university..if you did manage to secure a role the company would almost certainly send you back to "school" as part of your employment.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
As i stated you would not be classed as an Estimator because of your age, lack of vocational qualifications and experience..at best you would be classed as an EIT but not sure how that would work either as you are not in college or university..if you did manage to secure a role the company would almost certainly send you back to "school" as part of your employment.
Ah thats fair enough.

Weighing up the requirements as I do have the option of starting a part-time degree (In the UK) which would take me at least 3-4 years and should leave me more experienced for the future....Just dents the pocket a bit

Otherwise that helps narrow the search down for whats available at the moment if I decided to come over in the near future.

Thank you for the advice.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Mynsey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Slimslim,

I work in a consulting engineering firm in Vancouver, so I can offer some insight on the construction industry from an expat's view.

Firstly, to clear up something that was said earlier, you will not be classified as EIT as you have to have a suitable engineering degree to be registered as that. Check out APEGBC and APEGGA websites for further info on that. They will want to check the colour of your undies before they allow you to use the term "engineer".

Have you done much research into companies and what not? That's what I did. Even if you don't secure a job before heading here you should know who you are aiming to apply to etc. It's a very different market here for jobs than in the UK. Not many jobs are actually advertised and it's all about who you know. Don't be disheartened by this though. A bit of perseverance will pay off.

I came here on a WHV with a job secured. The visa was pretty easy to sort compared with others. Much easier than LMO's and all that shizzle.

I can't tell you what estimating in Canada is like in terms of degree requirements, but I can tell you it is absolutely necessary in engineering. Unless you want to be a cad drone for the rest of your life that is.

Good luck and if I were you I would just go for it!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:40 pm
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by Mynsey
Hi Slimslim,

I work in a consulting engineering firm in Vancouver, so I can offer some insight on the construction industry from an expat's view.

Firstly, to clear up something that was said earlier, you will not be classified as EIT as you have to have a suitable engineering degree to be registered as that. Check out APEGBC and APEGGA websites for further info on that. They will want to check the colour of your undies before they allow you to use the term "engineer".

Have you done much research into companies and what not? That's what I did. Even if you don't secure a job before heading here you should know who you are aiming to apply to etc. It's a very different market here for jobs than in the UK. Not many jobs are actually advertised and it's all about who you know. Don't be disheartened by this though. A bit of perseverance will pay off.

I came here on a WHV with a job secured. The visa was pretty easy to sort compared with others. Much easier than LMO's and all that shizzle.

I can't tell you what estimating in Canada is like in terms of degree requirements, but I can tell you it is absolutely necessary in engineering. Unless you want to be a cad drone for the rest of your life that is.

Good luck and if I were you I would just go for it!
Where does the poster say he has any degree let alone an engineering degree??..im a senior manager for one of the largest construction groups in North America and know exactly what the requirements are for degrees and experience for Estimators in Canada...also he is only 21..most EIT will already have their degrees in place and are generally aged between 21-26.

That's the trouble with Canada they do things ass about face in construction management..they stuff their managers to the gills with qualifications but they are given very little or no practical experience and are then expected to run multi million dollar projects...at least the OP has some of that experience which his Canadian counterparts of the same age will not have.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Where does the poster say he has any degree let alone an engineering degree??..im a senior manager for one of the largest construction groups in North America and know exactly what the requirements are for degrees and experience for Estimators in Canada...also he is only 21..most EIT will already have their degrees in place and are generally aged between 21-26.

That's the trouble with Canada they do things ass about face in construction management..they stuff their managers to the gills with qualifications but they are given very little or no practical experience and are then expected to run multi million dollar projects...at least the OP has some of that experience which his Canadian counterparts of the same age will not have.
Re-read Mynseys' post!

"Firstly, to clear up something that was said earlier, you will not be classified as EIT as you have to have a suitable engineering degree to be registered as that".
Old Jan 11th 2013, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Mynsey is an unknown quantity at this point

As Arthurbrit said in his post, please check what I wrote.

You say you are a senior manager and therefore know the requirements for entry into a career as an estimator, yet you clearly don't know what an EIT is. i only posted to clarify what you said was wrong so as not to mislead OP and others.

People are rather top heavy with degrees in the industry, but that's the way it is here. I do find less oiks though, which is good.

Anyway, best of luck to OP.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Initially there are very few jobs in Canada for QSs other than PQS. The role is divided between Estimators and Project Managers. Most Canadian Construction Companies don't even know what a contractor's QS does and few are willing to take on TWP. Some European Companies that have offices in Canada use QSs but those opportunities are really far and few between.

That said there is currently a position on Ranstads website that might sit you. If you can't find it, send me a personal email and I will forward the details. Also Graham's have an advert on their website but they are looking to convert QSs to Estimators.

Not wanting to put you off but he industry is vastly different to what you have experienced in London and it is difficult to adjust but if you can the lifestyle makes it worthwhile.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice and pointers Yelkcub.

Email already sent to you!

To be honest the challenge of adapting to a different work environment makes it all the more interesting for me. Throughout my albeit short career I've been thrown in the deep end and had to adapt and learn quickly.

Thank you all for your advice!