Reload this Page >

Estimated costs involved

Estimated costs involved

Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

davesgirlie01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Estimated costs involved

Hello one and all.

This is my first post therefore this has no doubt been asked a million times previously. (Did try and search the forum with no results, may be doing it wrong) anyway, my husband and I are looking into emigrating to Canada within the next 6 months. We do not yet have visa' s although we are both applying. We would prefer to be in Nova Scotia and we have 3 young sons who would need good schools. As per a couple of posts I have read I am aware members probably wouldn't suggest areas to live etc, I am just trying to ascertain a rough guestimate as to how much shipping could be, if there is medical insurance like the states or nhs type like the UK and a million other questions really. We are complete newbies at this emigrating mallarchy. Cutting a long story short my lovely dad has not long passed away leaving us with a huge hole in our hearts and now we have nothing to keep us in the UK. We have been dreaming of moving to Canada for a long time but I wouldn't due to caring for him but if we don't do it now we never will kind of deal. Any advice would be greatly received, thanking you all in advance. Kerry
Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estimated costs involved

Originally Posted by davesgirlie01
Hello one and all.

This is my first post therefore this has no doubt been asked a million times previously. (Did try and search the forum with no results, may be doing it wrong) anyway, my husband and I are looking into emigrating to Canada within the next 6 months. We do not yet have visa' s although we are both applying. We would prefer to be in Nova Scotia and we have 3 young sons who would need good schools. As per a couple of posts I have read I am aware members probably wouldn't suggest areas to live etc, I am just trying to ascertain a rough guestimate as to how much shipping could be, if there is medical insurance like the states or nhs type like the UK and a million other questions really. We are complete newbies at this emigrating mallarchy. Cutting a long story short my lovely dad has not long passed away leaving us with a huge hole in our hearts and now we have nothing to keep us in the UK. We have been dreaming of moving to Canada for a long time but I wouldn't due to caring for him but if we don't do it now we never will kind of deal. Any advice would be greatly received, thanking you all in advance. Kerry
Get a quote of PSS International Removals , they have a good rep , we are using them
Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by happyhammers
Get a quote of PSS International Removals , they have a good rep , we are using them
Thank you v much
Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello one and all.

Welcome to BE!

If you have a look at the wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada you will find lots of information about moving here, costs, medical cover etc.

Originally Posted by happyhammers
Not with everyone - there are many who would disagree with you.

Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello one and all.

Hi, and welcome to BE.

This thread may be useful when trying to work out moving costs - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

HTH, good luck.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome to BE!

If you have a look at the wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada you will find lots of information about moving here, costs, medical cover etc.

Not with everyone - there are many who would disagree with you.

I agree , horses for courses, but we managed to nail them down
Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Wow, thank you everyone who has already replied. I will be looking at these sites ASAP. Kerry
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I hope the move works out for you, but I assume you are aware Canada isn't easy to get into? There are lots of routes in, but none of them are easy or fast track. Would you mind letting us know what you do for a living, are you skilled etc? do you have relatives in Canada, or do you have job offers? These things are all generally relevant to decide the route you want to take to get here!
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Hello, thank you for your comments. My husband is an agricultural mechanic, well any mechanic really. I am at home with our sons for the time being. I am looking at more and more posts/sites that say Canada is difficult to move to. I do have family in Canada, however they are very distant family so I doubt I could ask them about being a sponsor. My husband does not have any offers at the moment, however we are both attending a job fair expo in the next 3 weeks. unfortunately I (rather naively) thought we could move within 6 months or so, now I am researching a lot more to gain a better perspective on things. Although it may be difficult we would really like to move and try for a new outlook on life. Thank you very much for your response to my question. Kerry
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, thank you for your comments. My husband is an agricultural mechanic, well any mechanic really. I am at home with our sons for the time being. I am looking at more and more posts/sites that say Canada is difficult to move to. I do have family in Canada, however they are very distant family so I doubt I could ask them about being a sponsor. My husband does not have any offers at the moment, however we are both attending a job fair expo in the next 3 weeks. unfortunately I (rather naively) thought we could move within 6 months or so, now I am researching a lot more to gain a better perspective on things. Although it may be difficult we would really like to move and try for a new outlook on life. Thank you very much for your response to my question. Kerry
Hi Kerry,

Don't be put off!
Yes there is some difficulty in getting in to Canada, but nothing that's worth having is easy. Everyone has their own opinion of the best approach to take, but the route I am taking is that I have found a job, got a job offer and I am currently waiting for a "Labour Market Opinion" (LMO) to approve my employer employing a foreign worker. Once I am there, I will then begin the process of applying for Permanent Residence (PR). Hopefully, if there are no hiccups, I will get my LMO around June/July, when I can hand my notice in at my current workplace and one month later, get my Temporary Worker Permit (TWP) at my port of entry (POE)!

Currently, I am about 1 year into the process, since myself and my wife decided to make the move.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, but this place is a great resource and the people on here are willing and able to offer advice and encouragement, I wish I had found it sooner