Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Equivalent dog food from UK in Canada

Equivalent dog food from UK in Canada

Old Feb 2nd 2022, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

UK44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Equivalent dog food from UK in Canada

Hi all, my dog is very settled on Chappie Complete dog biscuits here in the UK, has anyone found a food that is an easy transition in Canada?
He’s a senior dog and tends to have a sensitive stomach when it comes to changing his food and we’re moving in 3 months so looking for ideas. Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 3:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equivalent dog food from UK in Canada

I suppose you could try to find a brand that's sold in both countries (and has the same formula in both) and transition to that in the UK. I think though that I'd bring a sack of Chappie Complete and do the phase over on arrival. The dog is likely to be disturbed by the relocation anyway so why have two rounds of disruption.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I think that’s what it might come to. I might take a smaller bag in the suitcase or something.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 4:07 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK44
Hi all, my dog is very settled on Chappie Complete dog biscuits here in the UK, has anyone found a food that is an easy transition in Canada?
He’s a senior dog and tends to have a sensitive stomach when it comes to changing his food and we’re moving in 3 months so looking for ideas. Thanks
have a look at the Dog Food Advisor webpage. Plenty of info there on types of food available. Performattin is a Canadian make that scores highly as does Kirkland from Costco.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, that’s really helpful.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 5:26 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by UK44
Thank you, that’s really helpful.
1, You should be prepared to have the dog food seized.

See: "

Personal imports

Travellers may bring into Canada a personal import of pet food (limit of 20 kg), if the import meets all of the following requirements:
  • the pet food or product must be of United States origin and be commercially packaged
  • the pet food or product must be in the possession of the traveller at the time of entry from the U.S.
  • the animal that will eat the imported product must accompany the traveller at the time of entry
  • the imported product is fed only to the animal that accompanied the traveller into Canada
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Ah I see, thanks for that, I don’t think I’d like to risk it on that basis. I’ve just found that both countries sell Pedigree Chum, so I think I’ll be best off transitioning him here and just buying it there. Hopefully it’s similar enough to do a straight swap.