Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Schooling

Canadian Schooling

Old Jan 7th 2022, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Fwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian Schooling

Hi
we have been here a year so I know covid has a lot to answer for but my 2 girls 11 & 6 really haven’t advanced in there schooling since coming here.
my 11 year old seems to be able to do what she wants at school, chew gum, take her phone in and use a calculator for even the most basic maths questions. My 6 year old hasn’t improved with reading or writing since arriving.
does anyone have any experience with the education system? I’m so used to the uk where it’s so structured.
I’m really worried about there future if we stay here and the education remains like this.
thanks to anyone that can help.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Schooling

We were extremely worried at the Grade 6 - 8 point with our boys. They didn’t seem to be doing anything at school and we felt they were way behind where they should have been. However, things really ramped up between grades 9 and 12 and we are very pleased with where they eventually ended up after their education was over. The slow early years gave them an opportunity to develop other interests and activities, and the lack of stress allowed them to be kids. They must have been learning something in those early years because they really took in a huge amount in the last 4 years so there must have been more groundwork done than was apparent.
Old Jan 10th 2022, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fwilkin

my 11 year old seems to be able to do what she wants at school, chew gum, take her phone in and use a calculator for even the most basic maths questions. .
They are preparing her well for Tim Horton's.
Old Jan 11th 2022, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fwilkin
Hi
we have been here a year so I know covid has a lot to answer for but my 2 girls 11 & 6 really haven’t advanced in there schooling since coming here.
my 11 year old seems to be able to do what she wants at school, chew gum, take her phone in and use a calculator for even the most basic maths questions. My 6 year old hasn’t improved with reading or writing since arriving.
does anyone have any experience with the education system? I’m so used to the uk where it’s so structured.
I’m really worried about there future if we stay here and the education remains like this.
thanks to anyone that can help.
IB Program was suggested in other threads.
we are thinking along the same lines for kindgerten, felt it's all play compared to what we saw in UK a year before. But having a long chat with the teacher... made us relax a little... apparently the very relaxed approach in the early years seems preferred and also prepares them for later years. and said the approach (in BC) is somewhat similar to the Finland approach.
Old Jan 11th 2022, 12:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eversmannx
IB Program was suggested in other threads.
we are thinking along the same lines for kindgerten, felt it's all play compared to what we saw in UK a year before. But having a long chat with the teacher... made us relax a little... apparently the very relaxed approach in the early years seems preferred and also prepares them for later years. and said the approach (in BC) is somewhat similar to the Finland approach.
Are the Finns considered to be particularly well educated?
Old Jan 11th 2022, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Are the Finns considered to be particularly well educated?
Maybe subjective...
10 reasons why Finland's education system is the best in the world | World Economic Forum (weforum.org)

I am going with IB... like you suggested.
Old Jan 11th 2022, 6:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eversmannx
That was an interesting piece, thanks for the link.
Old Jan 12th 2022, 5:56 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think what you're all missing is Canadian eduction systems work well for Canadians. They get the basic liberal understanding and that's it. It's not a competitive and dynamic system because it doesn't need to be. The county is blessed with an abundance of natural and cultivated resources. If they need money they just cut stuff down, dig stuff up or grow stuff, and their uncle will give them a job. The UK has very few natural resources so the main resource is human capital and as such, a competitive advantage is gained through education and the rationing of education.
Old Jan 12th 2022, 11:34 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think what you're all missing is Canadian eduction systems work well for Canadians. They get the basic liberal understanding and that's it. It's not a competitive and dynamic system because it doesn't need to be. The county is blessed with an abundance of natural and cultivated resources. If they need money they just cut stuff down, dig stuff up or grow stuff, and their uncle will give them a job. The UK has very few natural resources so the main resource is human capital and as such, a competitive advantage is gained through education and the rationing of education.
Although the way the housing market is here, my kids will have to do very well at becoming a stock broker/venture capitalist to be able to afford to buy something here. In the last two years our house has conservatively gone up in value by $700k. It’s quite ridiculous.
Old Jan 12th 2022, 11:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oink
It was a running joke when the kids were at school that they didn't know anyone who had two parents from the same country. It's only now that I realize none of those countries was Canada. Admittedly, they went to French language schools and in central Toronto, but, still, the proportion of immigrant children was off the chart. I suppose this may be because cradles have faith in the local system while people from educationally competitive nations search out the IB schools. Certainly the sign at the entrance showing the chart of scholarships won had disproportionately Asian names. I think that, if you are considering that your children may want a future anywhere then French immersion and the IB is the way to go. If you think they'll be happy in Saskatchewan then not so much.
Old Feb 3rd 2022, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Secam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to all

International testing of 15 year olds.
Science - Canada 7th, UK 15th
Mathematics - Canada 9th, UK 26th
Reading - Canada 3rd, UK 21st

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-math-science/