Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Emigrate Challenge & Dogs????

Emigrate Challenge & Dogs????

Old Sep 6th 2004, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Emigrate Challenge & Dogs????

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Gritting teeth????? Almost worn them down to gums! Got to do what must be done though. (I actually really love the pony too, as she was a rescue pony and very badly done-by when I bought her 7 years ago, so I wouldn't have wanted her to be sold on either.)

We have a 100 acres farm in Campbellford, Ontario. Sort of inbetween Peterborough and Belleville.

Pony flies from Heathrow to Toronto in a 3 horse container. They put them on a Boeing 747 which is decked out as a cargo plane. The vast cost is not the shipping of her, but she travels with a groom and a vet and they need return airfares too.
Well, from one mom to another - (and you probably already know this)....you're really doing a great and actually self-sacrificing thing. When you arrive you are going to be so busy getting settled.....that if your daughter is less of a handful.....it might make your life a bit easier.....

Campbellville area is really beautiful. I'm from the KW area but as a kid we travelled a great deal - and remember the area well. Your acreage sounds wonderful, I'm sure your family (including the pony) of course, will be very happy

Best of luck to you and your family!!!!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:03 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squarepants
with the recent floodings in peterborough, that area could be prone to similar nature effects.
Erm, NO

The flooding in peterborough was a result of the city storm drains not coping and backing up into the streets, rather than some great natural disaster. The river in Peterborough never got close to flooding, none of the water made it that far!

There is practically no danger of the Trent flooding in heavy rain, there are flow control dams all along. Even in the highest spring runoff period it only comes about halfway up our neighbours backyard. Nothing to worry about. I wish it would flood, my house would be worth a lot more as waterfront property!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=We'd also like to move somewhere rural so that dogs have more room to drag us!![/QUOTE]

Hi Cynthia,

Nice to know that there are other likeminded folk about. How on earth do you walk the dogs on your own or have you some help. My Mal called Nando (short for Fernado - bred in Spain) has the strength of an Ox and just walking him alone requires all my strength. Matt manages to walk both together on a splitter lead. I'm sure as with yours when we recently went on holiday for a week and had them kennelled on our return they were so up for a drag. Were lucky having large open fields very close and Keiko (Akita) and Nando have a good run. We would love to get into racing but wouldn't have the first clue about how we'd go about it.

Were planning on attending the next Sandown exhibition (Saturday), if think on the 8th October. Maybe if your going we could meet up.

One of our dreams is to get our Mal in a sled team he would absolutely adore it and he's made for it (other dogs don't tend to like our Akita much - she also likes lots of respect and smaller dogs especially always have a go).

I would like to see a picture of your gang I've tried to attach a photo above I hoped it has worked.

Have you thought what you're going to do with the dogs once you land in Canada?

Nice to hear from you.

Last edited by Alison33; Sep 6th 2004 at 8:25 pm. Reason: Photo changes
Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:24 pm
squarepants

Surely you don't mean that? It does get very windy round that area, and because of the openesss of the area, winter/snow times round there, can be very challenging for motorists.

Have they finishd the constructions on that stretch of the 401 yet?

Originally Posted by iaink
Erm, NO

The flooding in peterborough was a result of the city storm drains not coping and backing up into the streets, rather than some great natural disaster. The river in Peterborough never got close to flooding, none of the water made it that far!

There is practically no danger of the Trent flooding in heavy rain, there are flow control dams all along. Even in the highest spring runoff period it only comes about halfway up our neighbours backyard. Nothing to worry about. I wish it would flood, my house would be worth a lot more as waterfront property!

Old Sep 6th 2004, 9:00 pm
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
LOL!! There shouldn't be a problem getting the dogs out there although they may be too big to go on the same plane as you. I was the one quoted ƂĀ£150 per pet by BA, however we are also taking a pony with us and the price quoted for her is ƂĀ£4,500!!!!! So you may need to be prepared for a very expensive flight for them. If that is okay then there is no need to worry.........you will get them out there. Good luck.
Hi sorry to interupt. I noticed that you said you had been quoted ƂĀ£4,500 to transport your mare. I have been quoted ƂĀ£3,000 to take my gelding over and I was going to shop around more. Did you try many other companies or is it not worth me shopping around anymore. The amount I was quoted seems quite reasonable now but they did say that it was cheaper for geldings (although I don't know why).
Do you know whether they have to be in quarantine for long? I know that they said that the price included quarantine but not for how long.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 9:53 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sydney
Hi sorry to interupt. I noticed that you said you had been quoted ƂĀ£4,500 to transport your mare. I have been quoted ƂĀ£3,000 to take my gelding over and I was going to shop around more. Did you try many other companies or is it not worth me shopping around anymore. The amount I was quoted seems quite reasonable now but they did say that it was cheaper for geldings (although I don't know why).
Do you know whether they have to be in quarantine for long? I know that they said that the price included quarantine but not for how long.
Yes when I was going to take my geldings that was the price I was quoted too. The mares have an extended quarantine as they are potentially breeding stock, unlike geldings. They have loads more tests that need to be performed so I guess that is the biggest difference. My mare has to have 30 days pre-export and 30 days post-export quarantine. I can do the UK sid emyself so no cost there, apart from the vet bills and I have been in contact with a local Canadian Vet to see whether I can qualify to do the post-shipping quarantine at our farm in Canada. The price quoted did include all the quarantine at the Canadian end and shipping to our property, so not too bad.

I have had prices from Pedens, Parkers, Doyles Transport (Canadian Company) and a couple of others. I have also been quoted for import to the States and then transported over the border, this was the cheapest way to do it if I had had a gelding, but a lot more hassle. PM me if you want any more details and if I can be of help to you I will (I know a couple of companies that you definitely should NOT go with.)

Tia
Old Sep 6th 2004, 10:02 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by squarepants
That is a lot of acres, how much does something like that cost, not so much in that part of the country I'll imagine. It's a nice part of ontario, and I like the tranquil and calmness of that area, but with the recent floodings in peterborough, that area could be prone to similar nature effects.

Anyway....how many animals are going to be roaming that land, what kinds, and what happened to the viceroy?
Definitely no chance of flooding on our farm LOL! We are the highest place for miles around (Iaink will vouch for this). I don't think that Campbellford floods at all, as it is split into a canal and this manages the water effectively. The locals would know better than I but I think I asked this when we were there and they haven't been flooded in the lifetime of everyone I have asked.

Ahhhh! The Viceroy! Well I started to go off them as I felt they were no more than a glorified mobile home. But the main reason for not having one is that I just love our old farmhouse! It is really scruffy outside but inside it is really special and now that it has been cleaned and furnished I just adore it and there is no way we are going to tear it down. It has a good feeling and is such a friendly home.

Animals: Cloud will be there along with another 10 - 20 ponies, my 2 dogs and cat. Will have some more cats though as you need them on a farm. There are a number of cattle on the land right now and they will probably stay as I love cattle. There are the family of wolves that live in the woods, a good herd of deer with a very substantial buck leading them and lots of jack rabbits and apparently 2 well-fed foxes (although I haven't seen them) and we have tonnes of hawk that fly overhead, so it must be a good feeding ground for the wildlife. Who knows how many really live off this land, but the more the merrier I say.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Alison33]
Originally Posted by We'd also like to move somewhere rural so that dogs have more room to drag us!![/QUOTE

Hi Cynthia,

Nice to know that there are other likeminded folk about. How on earth do you walk the dogs on your own or have you some help. My Mal called Nando (short for Fernado - bred in Spain) has the strength of an Ox and just walking him alone requires all my strength. Matt manages to walk both together on a splitter lead. I'm sure as with yours when we recently went on holiday for a week and had them kennelled on our return they were so up for a drag. Were lucky having large open fields very close and Keiko (Akita) and Nando have a good run. We would love to get into racing but wouldn't have the first clue about how we'd go about it.

Were planning on attending the next Sandown exhibition (Saturday), if think on the 8th October. Maybe if your going we could meet up.

One of our dreams is to get our Mal in a sled team he would absolutely adore it and he's made for it (other dogs don't tend to like our Akita much - she also likes lots of respect and smaller dogs especially always have a go).

I would like to see a picture of your gang I've tried to attach a photo above I hoped it has worked.

Have you thought what you're going to do with the dogs once you land in Canada?

Nice to hear from you.
Hi Ali

It does get a bit difficult to walk all 4 of them alone, especially when they see something they like! We use a walking belt, so much easier on the arms!!
If you're interested you should come along to one of the rallies once the season starts again. We used to just go and watch, it's good fun, even more fun when your dogs are actually running!!
I will try to add a photo later, need to find one first and then figure out how to attach it...

A friend of ours has 2 huskies and an akita. He sometimes has problems with other dogs, not sure if it's the other dogs that don't like the akita or the other way round but he sometimes runs her too, although not too much as she's getting on a bit! How old are yours?
Where abouts in Canada are you thinking of moving to? I've been reading Tiaribbon's posts and am so envious! I'd love a nice big farm with lots of land and wolves on the "doorstep"!

Would love to go to exhibition, what's it called? Only one I could see in Sandown on 8 Oct was World of Property exhibition, is this the one...?

We're actually thinking of going over to Canada without the dogs first for a week or two and looking for somewhere to live, even if it's just temporary, what have others done? It's all a long way off though I guess, can't wait!! The dogs change so much when there's snow on the ground, just like little kids!!
Speak soon
Cynthia
Old Sep 7th 2004, 8:56 am
Professional Princess

I have written a booklet on exporting animals to Australia. Although it is geared up specifically for that country, most of it can be applied to any country and there is also useful websites of export companies ect. on there.

If you want a copy send me a pm and I will email it to you.

AS MENTIONED, INTENDED FOR AUSTRALIA BUT CAN BE APPLICABLE TO CANADA

Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cynthia2373
Would love to go to exhibition, what's it called? Only one I could see in Sandown on 8 Oct was World of Property exhibition, is this the one...?
Hi Again Cynthia,

There is an exhibition at Sandown Racecourse, Esher, Surrey on 8th, 9th & 10th October "Opportunites Abroad" we are also attending a seminar called "Start a New Life in Canada". I have bought tickets to go on the Saturday. Do you subscribe to Canada News? If not, Check out their webside www.outboundpublishing.com or www.canadanews.co.uk. I've been told this show is a must.

Have you any thoughts on where you would want to settle. We are hoping Southern rural Ontario. Although due to work placements this may be limited. We have also been looking at a place called Wetaskiwin, Alberta (good place for husky racing). Its a city but only has a population of 11,000. The town I live in is about 10 times this.

Please explain to me what this belt you have is and how you wear it. Before we had two large dogs when Keiko was really pully I had to wrap the lead around my bum and everytime she pulled I leaned all my weight into it. Keiko is 3 1/2 years and Nando was 1 in July so I think we would have to wait a few more months before doing any sort of racing with him. Nando is going through the stage of wanting to hump everything - you can't bend over in our house. I work mornings and keep our dogs in a kennel with run - else Nando would dig craters around the garden. What do you do with yours?

Sorry to witter on. Would be nice to meet up - let us know if your going to the show.
Ali x
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough

Hi Ali

Thank you very much for the link, have now booked tickets, hope to see you there!!

We're thinking about Manitoba, got friends there and also nearly bought some land which sounded very nice, but Wetaskiwin, Alberta sounds good too, will have to look into it!!

OK walking belts, you can get various types, we got ours from a company called Culpeppers (they do husky and Mal gear) Basically it's a padded belt similar to a weight lifters belt (but more comfortable!) with a bungee-type attachment so that you can attach the lead and it acts as a shock absorber. Highly recommend this to anyone with pully dogs!!!

Our dogs (all girls): Willow will be 4 in November, Wisp is 2.5 and we have two puppies who'll be 1 in November. Nando has to be 1 before he can compete in a rally but you'd be able to start running him from about 9-10 months I think! Have a look on www.siberianhuskyclub.com there might be a link to ABSA and other sled dog associations.
Sounds like it's all good fun in your household at the moment, so glad we've got girls!!!
I work from home therefore they basically have the run of the house and garden although this doesn't stop them digging, looks more like a rabbit warren or the battle of Somme!!!

PM me and we can get together at the exhibition!!
Speak soon
C

Originally Posted by Alison33
Hi Again Cynthia,

There is an exhibition at Sandown Racecourse, Esher, Surrey on 8th, 9th & 10th October "Opportunites Abroad" we are also attending a seminar called "Start a New Life in Canada". I have bought tickets to go on the Saturday. Do you subscribe to Canada News? If not, Check out their webside www.outboundpublishing.com or www.canadanews.co.uk. I've been told this show is a must.

Have you any thoughts on where you would want to settle. We are hoping Southern rural Ontario. Although due to work placements this may be limited. We have also been looking at a place called Wetaskiwin, Alberta (good place for husky racing). Its a city but only has a population of 11,000. The town I live in is about 10 times this.

Please explain to me what this belt you have is and how you wear it. Before we had two large dogs when Keiko was really pully I had to wrap the lead around my bum and everytime she pulled I leaned all my weight into it. Keiko is 3 1/2 years and Nando was 1 in July so I think we would have to wait a few more months before doing any sort of racing with him. Nando is going through the stage of wanting to hump everything - you can't bend over in our house. I work mornings and keep our dogs in a kennel with run - else Nando would dig craters around the garden. What do you do with yours?

Sorry to witter on. Would be nice to meet up - let us know if your going to the show.
Ali x