Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Emigrate Challenge & Dogs????

Emigrate Challenge & Dogs????

Old Sep 5th 2004, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all
Default Emigrate Challenge & Dogs????

Hi

We recently watched the emigrate challenge with the Greens moving to Canmore. Just wondered if anyone had experienced any probs taking rather large dogs to Canada. On the video there was some problem with the dogs weights and other issues. This slightly worries us as we have two dogs (Alaskan Malamute or sled dog who is aprrox. 9stone and an Akita who weighs abour 8.5stone).

We consider our dogs to be part of the family and I can't see that weight should be a problem. The Greens were flying with Air Canada maybe this airline has restrictions? Does anyone know? Would love to hear from anyone that has moved with dogs of this size and hear their experiences. Waiting in anticipation. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrate Challenge & Dogs????

Uh, excuse me, but how much is 1 stone in kgs?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Sorry - kgs is new to me. 14lbs = 1 Stone or 2.2lbs = 1kg. My maths is not so good. Umm 6.5kg to stone I think. Is that heavy??
Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alison33
Sorry - kgs is new to me. 14lbs = 1 Stone or 2.2lbs = 1kg. My maths is not so good. Umm 6.5kg to stone I think. Is that heavy??
That's quite a heavy stone, I guess.

In an other thread I read something about people who took their dog with British Airways and they paid 150 pounds for the dog's flight. Have you contacted BA?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

No we have'nt contacted BA as yet as we are in very early stages and checking everything out. If youve watched the emigrate challenge video it appeared that the couple couldn't take their dogs due to a weight issue. They had german shepherds and subsequently rehomed them being making the move. I spoken to my partner about this and can't understand where the problem lies as horses are shipped all the time for comps. I think we may have some homework in store.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 9:09 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

No we have'nt contacted BA as yet as we are in very early stages and checking everything out. If youve watched the emigrate challenge video it appeared that the couple couldn't take their dogs due to a weight issue. They had german shepherds and subsequently rehomed them being making the move. I spoken to my partner about this and can't understand where the problem lies as horses are shipped all the time for comps. I think we may have some homework in store.
LOL!! There shouldn't be a problem getting the dogs out there although they may be too big to go on the same plane as you. I was the one quoted £150 per pet by BA, however we are also taking a pony with us and the price quoted for her is £4,500!!!!! So you may need to be prepared for a very expensive flight for them. If that is okay then there is no need to worry.........you will get them out there. Good luck.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the positive feedback. I think my otherhalf would rather stay in UK than leave our dogs. Regardless of cost he will pay.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:02 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the positive feedback. I think my otherhalf would rather stay in UK than leave our dogs. Regardless of cost he will pay.
That is exactly the way I feel about my animals. Luckily I only have Border Collies so they can come on the same plane as us. Don't worry too much about the cost I gave you for the pony, obviously your dogs won't be anything like that price, more than likely a five or six hundred pounds each. It is just that on the passenger flights your sky kennels may not fit in the hold so they will have to be put on a cargo plane.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
That is exactly the way I feel about my animals. Luckily I only have Border Collies so they can come on the same plane as us. Don't worry too much about the cost I gave you for the pony, obviously your dogs won't be anything like that price, more than likely a five or six hundred pounds each. It is just that on the passenger flights your sky kennels may not fit in the hold so they will have to be put on a cargo plane.
Sorry to intrude.....but I'm just dying of curiousity .....anyway, why are bringing a pony to Canada?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Mapboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Would love to hear from anyone that has moved with dogs of this size and hear their experiences. Waiting in anticipation. Thanks in advance.
We brought two dogs with us, one of which was 80-90lbs at the time. I don't think is a problem specifically with size. It may obviously cost more, but also you have to supply a crate that is big enough to allow the dog to stand up, turn around and lie outstretched. So the bigger the dog, the bigger the crate. They have the authority on arrivel here to fine you if they determine that you've not used a large enough crate.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:31 am
Premium Member

Originally Posted by willmore
Sorry to intrude.....but I'm just dying of curiousity .....anyway, why are bringing a pony to Canada?
Not greatly exciting!!!!! Just that the pony is my 8 year old daughter's pony and they have been together for 7 years and she would be absolutely heartbroken without her. I tried to bribe her with the opportunity of getting her 2 ponies once we are out there, but to no avail! I could buy 10 ponies in Canada for the cost of transporting one! When I sold all my dearly loved horses and then it came round to selling her pony, it was just all too much to bear I'm afraid and we felt that it could be highly detrimental to our daughter settling in to living in Canada if we were to go without the pony.............purely sentimental and a huge compromise!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Emigrate Challenge & Dogs????

Hi Ali and Matt

We've got 4 huskies (smaller than Mals!) and are also in the very early stages of looking into emigrating (also with the dogs, no way could we leave them here!)
Just wondering if you race them and if so we could meet up at one of the rallies and discuss emigration...???

We'd also like to move somewhere rural so that dogs have more room to drag us!!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Not greatly exciting!!!!! Just that the pony is my 8 year old daughter's pony and they have been together for 7 years and she would be absolutely heartbroken without her. I tried to bribe her with the opportunity of getting her 2 ponies once we are out there, but to no avail! I could buy 10 ponies in Canada for the cost of transporting one! When I sold all my dearly loved horses and then it came round to selling her pony, it was just all too much to bear I'm afraid and we felt that it could be highly detrimental to our daughter settling in to living in Canada if we were to go without the pony.............purely sentimental and a huge compromise!
Sometimes....value of money just does't come into the equation does it? i would probably do the same thing for my kids - it's far more important for them to begin to feel at home as soon as possible in their new land....than the money you spent transporting the pony (although I know you're gritting your teeth at the cost)!!!

You must have bought some acreage somewhere.....where are you going to end up?

And lastly, I just curious again.....sorry...how do they transport the pony - does it come by ship to Canada and then by train to your home?
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:02 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by willmore
Sometimes....value of money just does't come into the equation does it? i would probably do the same thing for my kids - it's far more important for them to begin to feel at home as soon as possible in their new land....than the money you spent transporting the pony (although I know you're gritting your teeth at the cost)!!!

You must have bought some acreage somewhere.....where are you going to end up?

And lastly, I just curious again.....sorry...how do they transport the pony - does it come by ship to Canada and then by train to your home?
Gritting teeth????? Almost worn them down to gums! Got to do what must be done though. (I actually really love the pony too, as she was a rescue pony and very badly done-by when I bought her 7 years ago, so I wouldn't have wanted her to be sold on either.)

We have a 100 acres farm in Campbellford, Ontario. Sort of inbetween Peterborough and Belleville.

Pony flies from Heathrow to Toronto in a 3 horse container. They put them on a Boeing 747 which is decked out as a cargo plane. The vast cost is not the shipping of her, but she travels with a groom and a vet and they need return airfares too.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:12 pm
squarepants

That is a lot of acres, how much does something like that cost, not so much in that part of the country I'll imagine. It's a nice part of ontario, and I like the tranquil and calmness of that area, but with the recent floodings in peterborough, that area could be prone to similar nature effects.

Anyway....how many animals are going to be roaming that land, what kinds, and what happened to the viceroy?

Gritting teeth????? Almost worn them down to gums! Got to do what must be done though. (I actually really love the pony too, as she was a rescue pony and very badly done-by when I bought her 7 years ago, so I wouldn't have wanted her to be sold on either.)

We have a 100 acres farm in Campbellford, Ontario. Sort of inbetween Peterborough and Belleville.

Pony flies from Heathrow to Toronto in a 3 horse container. They put them on a Boeing 747 which is decked out as a cargo plane. The vast cost is not the shipping of her, but she travels with a groom and a vet and they need return airfares too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.