email advice

Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default email advice

when applying for jobs online via the job bank, what sort of thing are you putting in your emails when applying for any of them, do i include my resume or say i have it ready to send if you are interested ??? i state that i am looking to move to canada as soon as a job has been secured for me, but im not sure if that makes it sound like im only using them to get into canada....any advice is greatful..
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: email advice

Originally Posted by shazza69
when applying for jobs online via the job bank, what sort of thing are you putting in your emails when applying for any of them, do i include my resume or say i have it ready to send if you are interested ??? i state that i am looking to move to canada as soon as a job has been secured for me, but im not sure if that makes it sound like im only using them to get into canada....any advice is greatful..

Hi

You need to add a cover letter which will catch the recruiters eye and your resume, well that's the theory, but the reality is that no one will be in the slightest bit interested in recruiting you while you are still in the UK.

Recruiters receive hundreds of emails per day and they will never reply to one that says please get in touch if you want my Resume.

Unless your job role is in extremely high demand, and you have skills that are not available locally, you will probably draw a blank every time.

You need to get over there and press the flesh I'm afraid.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:11 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wearsider
Hi

You need to add a cover letter which will catch the recruiters eye and your resume, well that's the theory, but the reality is that no one will be in the slightest bit interested in recruiting you while you are still in the UK.

Recruiters receive hundreds of emails per day and they will never reply to one that says please get in touch if you want my Resume.

Unless your job role is in extremely high demand, and you have skills that are not available locally, you will probably draw a blank every time.

You need to get over there and press the flesh I'm afraid.
Wrong.............just send the resume with a brief note in the email about what you want etc. Recruiters can't be bothered to read a cover letter, they are only interested in your resume and situation.

True that if your skills are not massively in demand then you will find it hard to get a job whilst in the UK, however if you do then it should be a lot easier.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I recently applied for a job on-line. I submitted a resume as a pdf document, with a cover letter at the beginning as all part of one doc - as directed by the website.

When I'd hit the submit button, another little questionnaire appeared, apparently pretty tailored to this position. It asked a few questions, and then asked proficiency in Word, Outlook and Excel which I ticked accordingly.

It's somewhat depressing that I feel this 10-item questionnaire will over-ride my nice letter, and the resume I spent hours refining!!! A paper-sift in the most blunt form. My 'basic' knowledge of Excel will let me down, I am sure!!

Why not just ask applicants to do the questionnaire first
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

The company I work for has a pretty high turn over of staff and we are on a fairly constant recruiting drive. Although we have some very highly qualified immigrants working for us (me included) we are in essence a "No experience necessary, all training given" company. Those who do have qualifications, might be accountants, bankers, lawyers etc but unable to get work in their own field because of "Canadian qualification" deficiet.
In any 3 day period I have in the region of 80 emailled resumes to wade through. We attract applicants from absolutely all walks of life, all origins and backgrounds.
Not wanting to answer for every company, but it's now part of my job to select "suitable" applicants - No one who is not in the country will get a response any more than "Please contact us again once you are in the city".
I started off a year ago accepting a crappy job with this company - Having proved myself in a job with which I had no experience whatsoever and never would have imagined myself doing I am now 4th from the top in charge of 38 staff, recruiting, schedulling and training............... There are jobs out here, perhaps not the one you want straight away, but there are jobs!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:15 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Wrong.............just send the resume with a brief note in the email about what you want etc. Recruiters can't be bothered to read a cover letter, they are only interested in your resume and situation.

True that if your skills are not massively in demand then you will find it hard to get a job whilst in the UK, however if you do then it should be a lot easier.
A misleading answer and is rarely the way it is, unless the recruiter is lazy or inexperienced (or both). Send only one attachment, as has been stated a cover letter as part of the resume document would likley be more effective and as a pdf if you must e-mail it. If you rely on the body of the e-mail to get them to read your resume and fail you are dead in the water. If you include a cover letter in the one document with your resume (as a pdf and don't use any fancy fonts) there is more chance of them scanning through the whole document once the attachment is open. In the e-mail body just a sentence to state you are applying for the job and have attached your resume.

As a resume is to get you through the door, send by e-mail if that is asked for, if it is not then send by mail. Being different to the herd can make you stand out. There is no substitute for being here and visiting potential employers. As the economy is tanking right now and there are a lot of lay offs, local labour is going to get the priority unless there is a shortage in your field of expertise or your skills are higher than those of the local market.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

ok i knew i would get great advice here...now im probably going to sound a bit dumb but how do i get my resume into pdf format, ive done it in microsoft word...
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Aviator
A misleading answer and is rarely the way it is, unless the recruiter is lazy or inexperienced (or both). Send only one attachment, as has been stated a cover letter as part of the resume document would likley be more effective and as a pdf if you must e-mail it. If you rely on the body of the e-mail to get them to read your resume and fail you are dead in the water. If you include a cover letter in the one document with your resume (as a pdf and don't use any fancy fonts) there is more chance of them scanning through the whole document once the attachment is open. In the e-mail body just a sentence to state you are applying for the job and have attached your resume.

As a resume is to get you through the door, send by e-mail if that is asked for, if it is not then send by mail. Being different to the herd can make you stand out. There is no substitute for being here and visiting potential employers. As the economy is tanking right now and there are a lot of lay offs, local labour is going to get the priority unless there is a shortage in your field of expertise or your skills are higher than those of the local market.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shazza69
ok i knew i would get great advice here...now im probably going to sound a bit dumb but how do i get my resume into pdf format, ive done it in microsoft word...
No, you need Adobe Acrobat, but I have used this website before and it works a treat, and is free!

http://www.doc2pdf.net/

Simply click on the doc you want to turn in to a pdf and click convert.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

No, you need Adobe Acrobat, but I have used this website before and it works a treat, and is free!
oh wow i didnt realise it was as easy as that, many thanks for the link i tried it and its brill...