Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Resume

Canadian Resume

Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Phoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nice
Default Canadian Resume

I have recently "Canadian-ised" my resume and I posted it on another forum (of mainly north-americans) that I frequent, for people to critique.

One thing I noticed is that in my resume I mention under Education about my third year dissertation or honours project. It was an innovative piece of computing science research and development for which I was awarded best project by the university school for that year.

I thought it was significant enough, and demonstrated my skills in such a way that it would be valuable to have on my resume, however everyone who looked at my resume said to take it out and not to put on an award won at 'school'.

So anyway, after that long-winded explanation, my question is do north-americans have another name for a third year university project? Would canadian employers understand what an honours project was?

I can attach my resume later on in this thread if anyone requires it. Thanks.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Greenstriper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Resume

Depends on how much genuine work experience you have. If you have only done 1 year of full employment perhaps add you project. If you have 2 or more years then I wouldn't bother - relevant work experience trumps academic awards unless they specifically mention "demonstrable strong academic achiever".

Good luck by the way.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:12 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel it is a shame to leave out altogether.
Why not put it under another heading:

Achievements:
Best project for Third year dissertation at University School
Subject - Computing Science Research and Development

OR

Additional Skills: Research and Development
Best project for Third year dissertation at University School
Subject - Computing Science

Depends on your content and layout as to where it could go. A bit of blurb at the end is fine if you don't already have these headings.
Good luck!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:23 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I would try to leave it on, but I wouldn't put it directly under Education. It's not really education that you have received, but rather an award that you earned (as others have said).

I would do as seaham gal suggested. Put it under another category like special achievements.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:08 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

I thought in UK we write dissertations and in North America you have to do a yea in the industry as part of your degree and then submit an internship report to be assessed by your supervisor. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.