Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

electrical goods uk to canada

electrical goods uk to canada

Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

angie123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrical goods uk to canada

I am packing up my belongings to be shipped and wonder whether i should bother taking my uk electrical goods (hedge trimmer, power washer, sander, stereo??

any ideas? i know i can get a converter, but last time i went to canada, my hair dryer didnt work

anyone got tips on how to make electrical goods work? i only used the cheap type appliance convertor (little white one i bought at asda) do i need something else?

thanks
Old Jun 19th 2009, 7:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrical goods uk to canada

Originally Posted by angie123
I am packing up my belongings to be shipped and wonder whether i should bother taking my uk electrical goods (hedge trimmer, power washer, sander, stereo??

any ideas? i know i can get a converter, but last time i went to canada, my hair dryer didnt work

anyone got tips on how to make electrical goods work? i only used the cheap type appliance convertor (little white one i bought at asda) do i need something else?

thanks
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compatability_of_Goods
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

islandboy will become famous soon enough

thanks
Unless they are very expensive goods I would not bother electrical goods are cheep here,good luck with the move.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:21 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandboy
Unless they are very expensive goods I would not bother electrical goods are cheep here,good luck with the move.
If you are shipping anyway and there is space in the container why not bring them ? Goods are not cheap if you don't have the spare cash.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Read the wiki and then decide.

Some things work on converters better than others. Generally high power items require more transformer than its worth, so sell and replace. Smaller items are OK if you can live with the inconvenience of needing the converter. Some things just wont work right on 60Hz instead of 50, regardless of voltage. Some things would be an insureance liability to run here without the appropraite canadian certification.

If you are shipping a containter of stuff anyway it wont cost you extra, but if thats not the case there is something to be said for selling them for what you can get for them and start again here, even if you buy used on kijiji or yard sales or whatever if money is tight.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

thanks
angie

I brought transformers from this shop in Calgary. Also they do UK to north American lamp conversion.

http://www.glazierelectric.net

hudd
Old Jun 20th 2009, 10:51 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Also be aware --- PLEASE

If you bring any electricial item over and that said item is not CSA approved and the said item sets fire, it will make your insurance null and void............

Electricial items are cheap here, needs leg work to find them, but as hubby said its not worth it.
I also know expats that have brought stuff open and never used them as they have found better here.

Most lamps if worth the money can be re-wired, but unless its a special item, i would get the cash for it in the uk or give to a special friend
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

alwar is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
I want to take my tv ,will that work with a converter
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alwar
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...87&postcount=2
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

alwar is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah read that but thats only small electrical items. a love my big telly dont want to beparted from it.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:53 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
Also be aware --- PLEASE

If you bring any electricial item over and that said item is not CSA approved and the said item sets fire, it will make your insurance null and void............
not just CSA approved
but items with UL approval which is the US standard are also valid for use in Canada
you find this will appears on almost all dual voltage/hz items and so is legal here (and anywhere in North America)

In fact you will be more likely to find an item in Canada with just a UL approval than you would one with only a CSA approval
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:55 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't know and you’re not sure how to find out

Then I wouldn't recommend bringing it

Purely from a safety point of view
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

yeah read that but thats only small electrical items. a love my big telly dont want to beparted from it.
No, its not...did you actually take the time to read it?
TVs; right there. Section 3.1