Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Education work in Laurentians/Montreal area?

Education work in Laurentians/Montreal area?

Old Dec 19th 2008, 4:51 am
Just Joined

claudemulvihill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education work in Laurentians/Montreal area?

Wow! First off - nice ExpatBrit site - only wish I had seen it twenty months ago!

Married a Quebec girl two years ago in UK (true romance) - moved to Montana for three months, Whistler for six months, then Florida for . . . well, no need to give a detailed life story. We decided to move back to her hometown of Morin Heights, QC. Been here for 2-3 months now - working on local ski hills - tons of work, 10-grade skiing and outdoors activities.

My real profession is as a teacher - chemistry and sciences (et.al.). Been too busy having fun to contact local education authorities about permit trasfer, etc. Anybody work (or know somebody) in the Laurentian/Montreal region involved in education (secondary, Quebec college or university level)? Need about 10-15 months of employment. I'm fluent in French, some Spanish and German (bits), little Italian too.

I know that QC/Canada jobs are all obtained by word of mouth, and the CV thing is worth crap. Really looking for an "in" with some fellow pom.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 11:49 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Education work in Laurentians/Montreal area?

Originally Posted by claudemulvihill
Wow! First off - nice ExpatBrit site - only wish I had seen it twenty months ago!

Married a Quebec girl two years ago in UK (true romance) - moved to Montana for three months, Whistler for six months, then Florida for . . . well, no need to give a detailed life story. We decided to move back to her hometown of Morin Heights, QC. Been here for 2-3 months now - working on local ski hills - tons of work, 10-grade skiing and outdoors activities.

My real profession is as a teacher - chemistry and sciences (et.al.). Been too busy having fun to contact local education authorities about permit trasfer, etc. Anybody work (or know somebody) in the Laurentian/Montreal region involved in education (secondary, Quebec college or university level)? Need about 10-15 months of employment. I'm fluent in French, some Spanish and German (bits), little Italian too.

I know that QC/Canada jobs are all obtained by word of mouth, and the CV thing is worth crap. Really looking for an "in" with some fellow pom.
I'd say your best bet would be to talk with some local school principals, or the school board. My guess is that your chances are highest if you go after a job teaching advanced English at the secondary level, in a private school. You're in a bilingual area, so I reckon the demand is there.

The only Brit I have met in Gatineau was a Manc. She was one of the English teachers at my stepson's private school. She's gone now, so I can't talk to her, but I think she was recruited directly into the job (ie no hoop-jumping).

Where are you from in the UK?
Old Dec 19th 2008, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

claudemulvihill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I'd say your best bet would be to talk with some local school principals, or the school board. My guess is that your chances are highest if you go after a job teaching advanced English at the secondary level, in a private school. You're in a bilingual area, so I reckon the demand is there.

The only Brit I have met in Gatineau was a Manc. She was one of the English teachers at my stepson's private school. She's gone now, so I can't talk to her, but I think she was recruited directly into the job (ie no hoop-jumping).

Where are you from in the UK?
Thx for info - I have spoken to a number of school boards and schools (English and French). Supply work is in big demand; I'm looking for a short-term contract. Problem is knowing someone on the inside.

BTW - From tropical Cumbria.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Love 2 know how you get on. We are in the process of moving to Aus but friends of ours want us to move to Canada. I too am a teacher - Head of a sport and health faculty but at the age of 43 I think I might be considered too old to teach PE, although the skiing sounds good.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by claudemulvihill

Hi

My kid's (private) school in Kirkland is always on the lookout for english teachers. The headmistress asked me if I knew anyone from UK who could teach english. It is only elementary level though ie kindergarten to Grade 6 and they already have a woman from Scotland teaching Grade 6.

Will be heading up your way next week for a bit of skiing. Usually go to St Sauveur but thought we'd give Chantecler a try