Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton, would you?

Edmonton, would you?

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:01 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Edmonton, would you?

Originally Posted by Ki76
Wow, it's so nice to read all these things about Edmonton - having made an all too brief visit there recently we decided we loved St. Albert and Spruce Grove but could anyone tell me what the 'real time' drive would be from there to the Calgary Trail/Whitemud Drive area would be? My hubby will be working on 97th (I think) and he doesn't fancy a super trek there and back, especially in the winter...
Ki
Have you considered/visited Sherwood Park. Similar in lots of ways to St Albert and only 15/20 mins to Calgary Trail off the Whitemud!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:09 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
Have you considered/visited Sherwood Park. Similar in lots of ways to St Albert and only 15/20 mins to Calgary Trail off the Whitemud!
Yes thank-you, we saw it briefly but my hubby wasn't too keen on the area (apologies to those who live there)
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:10 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
You can expect a driving time of 25 - 30 minutes from St. Albert to Calgary Trail/Whitemud, and a couple of minutes more from Spruce Grove.

One thing I like about Edmonton is that the traffic is rather light.
Thanks Ocean - we are not used to the possible snow implications so need to judge these things carefully LOL
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:54 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Yes thank-you, we saw it briefly but my hubby wasn't too keen on the area (apologies to those who live there)
Bah-humbug.............. No.... only joking. But we love it here anyway.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:55 pm
sticky beaking

Thanks Ocean - we are not used to the possible snow implications so need to judge these things carefully LOL

They keep all the major routes pretty clear, and are so geared up for the snow its untrue. The place doesn't ground to a halt.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:37 pm
Bright light!!

Originally Posted by R2D2
Bah-humbug.............. No.... only joking. But we love it here anyway.

hehe.... no worries, we only saw it briefly so if you can tell me more about it at some point that would be fab - and thanks for the info about the routes
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:47 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Nah we didnt like it, much prefered St Albert.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

dogboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I initially thought that Edmonton would be a poor blue collar brother to Calgary, which is where I thought I'd end up (I work in the oil industry), but 5 months later I'm glad we're here. The people are fantastic; there really are some amazing areas and scenery within the city itself (that aren't apparent at first); we can easily afford a 3 bedroom 2000sq foot house here (much better than our 2 bed terrace in Reading); the rockies are closer than you think (Jasper NP is way better than Banff NP in my humble opinion); there's always something going on - people here put effort into getting out and doing things.

I'm sure you'll love it, but there's bound to be the initial feeling of what the %$#% have I done...
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:44 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

BTW, I should also mention that Edmonton is getting a major new ring road around the city. It is known as the "Anthony Henday Drive Ring Road". It is partially competed, and might be of benenfit when driving from St. Alberta or Spruce Grove to the WhiteMud/Calgary Trail area. You would have to check out the new route. It's so new that a don't know the details myself.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 2nd 2006 at 11:47 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:55 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

If you only saw it very briefly, you may want to go back and take a second look?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:40 am
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
If you only saw it very briefly, you may want to go back and take a second look?

My thoughts exactly..................and it totally depends which 'bit' you saw too. The Park has its older areas with lovely mature trees and homes backing golf-courses etc and huge new sub-divisions which aren't necessarily everyones cup of tea, I know, but they really have been done beautifully. Lakes, trail systems, playgrounds galore. We live in a fab spot and just adore our home, our community, our life. Period........ as they say over here.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:44 am
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by dogboy
I initially thought that Edmonton would be a poor blue collar brother to Calgary, which is where I thought I'd end up (I work in the oil industry), but 5 months later I'm glad we're here. The people are fantastic; there really are some amazing areas and scenery within the city itself (that aren't apparent at first); we can easily afford a 3 bedroom 2000sq foot house here (much better than our 2 bed terrace in Reading); the rockies are closer than you think (Jasper NP is way better than Banff NP in my humble opinion); there's always something going on - people here put effort into getting out and doing things.

I'm sure you'll love it, but there's bound to be the initial feeling of what the %$#% have I done...
Toatally agree with you dogboy about Jasper over Banff. Lurve Jasper.....love the feel of it , and the 'at one with the surroundings' feel you get there. Canoeing on Pyramid Lake, early on a still, calm Sunday morning has to be one of life's highlights to date. Fabulous !
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:19 am
Bright light!!

Thanks to all for the more info - we did drive the Anthony Henday and it did seem really quick from Spruce Grove but St. Albert seemed more complicated, but then again we probably too the wrong way completely!! LOL

I am glad you guys all like the place so much - it did seem a really nice green area in general and coming from such a green place it made us feel more 'homely' - even in just short time we were there.

I just wish we'd had more time to explore!! It wasn't the town of Sherwood Park that hubby didn't like, it was the drive I think... past the industrial bits and stuff, the place itself seemed nice enough (and sounds it - thanks for more description R2D2 )

I think we will just have to rent and do some major exploration when we get there.... now, where to rent!!

We both really liked lots about Edmonton and the surrounding areas so are really looking forward to it and I know I said it b4 but it really does help having people there like you guys saying how great it is so keep up the good work!! LOL
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:06 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for the more info - we did drive the Anthony Henday and it did seem really quick from Spruce Grove but St. Albert seemed more complicated, but then again we probably too the wrong way completely!! LOL

I am glad you guys all like the place so much - it did seem a really nice green area in general and coming from such a green place it made us feel more 'homely' - even in just short time we were there.

I just wish we'd had more time to explore!! It wasn't the town of Sherwood Park that hubby didn't like, it was the drive I think... past the industrial bits and stuff, the place itself seemed nice enough (and sounds it - thanks for more description R2D2 )

I think we will just have to rent and do some major exploration when we get there.... now, where to rent!!

We both really liked lots about Edmonton and the surrounding areas so are really looking forward to it and I know I said it b4 but it really does help having people there like you guys saying how great it is so keep up the good work!! LOL

quick one on the west ed mall, does any one have any issues with it later on, i mean for kids to visit on their own, or does it get a bit leary around the club bit. thanks.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 1:33 pm
sticky beaking

The route from Edm into Sh Pk down the Sh PK Freeway is horrid. Its scruffy & industrial and I NEVER go into Edm that way. I always go down the Whitemud, then up Gateway Beaulevard as its much much nicer. The Yellowhead highway in the north is another rd to avoid like the plague. Ugly and lots of lights, so its stop start.

Past the Sh PK Freeway, just before you come to the town, there is the large refineries, and yes I would rather they weren't there, and its a blot on the landscape, they are far enough away to not bother you in Sh PK and you can only see it from the very edge of the park where Baseline Rd begins. We live right over the far side of the PK where it is all residential and lovely.

There are 55 thousand + people living in the park and talking to people you will hear how happy everyone is to be here and that its one of the best family communites around. New people moving in all the time and loads of construction in the new sub-divisions that are selling like hot cakes. Speaks for itself don't ya think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.