Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton, would you?

Edmonton, would you?

Old Jul 31st 2006, 9:56 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Edmonton, would you?

Hello all. I'm in the very fortunate position to have PNP and so circumvent the very long process others are having to endure(you have my sympathies). Given this i hope people don't start throwing things at their PC's when they read this, as i may appear ungrateful.
As the date to go gets ever closer though and i read more posts on here, doubts set in. I appreciate there will always be contrasting views, but there seems such a marked difference. I'm beginning to wonder whether the place really matters, more like are you suitable. Only i know this of course, but i would like the opinion of others, good and bad, if knowing what you now know about the Edmonton area, weather, housing, schools, people, expense, local government, crime, roads, free time, would you still make the move. Is it really that much better?
The whole point of the forum summed up in one thread i suppose. Not asking much then!. Thanks Rae.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Edmonton, would you?

Originally Posted by rae
Hello all. I'm in the very fortunate position to have PNP and so circumvent the very long process others are having to endure(you have my sympathies). Given this i hope people don't start throwing things at their PC's when they read this, as i may appear ungrateful.
As the date to go gets ever closer though and i read more posts on here, doubts set in. I appreciate there will always be contrasting views, but there seems such a marked difference. I'm beginning to wonder whether the place really matters, more like are you suitable. Only i know this of course, but i would like the opinion of others, good and bad, if knowing what you now know about the Edmonton area, weather, housing, schools, people, expense, local government, crime, roads, free time, would you still make the move. Is it really that much better?
The whole point of the forum summed up in one thread i suppose. Not asking much then!. Thanks Rae.
I will probably be the brunt of all sorts of negativity for this but I will weather the sh!tstorm anyway. I am a native of Edmonton and to be honest I can't find much good to say about the place. WHERE you move is incredibly important. Canada is a huge country and different parts have different problems. Each part also has different things to offer. Being a migrant myself I have experienced first hand how important it is to choose the place that suits you best. One year in Sydney drove me to the brink but I am now relatively happy in Melbourne.

Good things about Edmonton -

-People are friendly and you will not doubt make friends quite easily.
-Housing is much cheaper there than in bigger cities such as Calgary.
-There are many beautiful areas within driving distance of Edmonton.

Bad things about Edmonton -

-It may have changed now but there is a lot of crime amongst the aboriginal communities and it isn't pretty. Avoid the north end like the plague it is full of crack addicts and solvent abusers. (I am not racist so before anyone accuses me of that I am aware that not all First Nations are junkies, I am simply stating facts).
-People have a very small town mentality in Edmonton, there are many rednecks and yobbos that as a police officer you will have the displeasure of dealing with on domestic calls on a daily basis.
-There isn't much going on in the way of culture.
-It gets VERY cold in winter and your first winter will be a shock.

As for schools and costs I can't be of much help there. I hope I haven't dashed your hopes of having a great future! These are my opinions and I'm sure that there are many happy migrants in Edmonton too. Hope this helps and good luck!!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
What areas have you previously visited ? What did you like/dislike about them ? What are you looking for ?? "Better" in comparison to what - other areas of Canada or the UK ?

If you give people on here pointers you will be amazed at how helpful their answers can be.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:53 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
What areas have you previously visited ? What did you like/dislike about them ? What are you looking for ?? "Better" in comparison to what - other areas of Canada or the UK ?

If you give people on here pointers you will be amazed at how helpful their answers can be.
Thanks for the replies so far.
unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it i suppose, i am tied to Alberta and Edmonton because of the job offer and PNP, so choice goes out the window.
i have visited Calgary and Vancouver also, and liked them both in their own right, however, costs of living would rule these out anyway. as for Edmonton St. Albert, actually in sturgeon to the north west of Edmonton would be our choice. 2 visits here now confirm this.
what i liked is so far pretty much what i have read, the main things being the schools and the people. not too much to dislike really, though the 'real' price of things is a worry, is $70k top line per year enough to live on with around $800 mth in home bills(mort, tax etc) for family of three. Obviously the weather also, i was there in -27c, wasn't as bad as i thought, though this was only for a few weeks, does cabin fever set in after a few months?
i am looking for quite simply a decent future for my child. One where i don't envisage having to hide the dismembered body of her tracksuit wearing, spliff smoking, car stealing boyfriend when he tells me she is pregnant at 13 and now he is off.
The better is in relation to the UK, where we are the highest in a number of European top tens, illiteracy under 11's, teen pregnancy, cocaine usage, leniency in custodial sentencing, road deaths and on and on. I'm sure from my research with the UN and other polls canada is much better, but this is the theory, whats the reality.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
Thanks for the replies so far.
unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it i suppose, i am tied to Alberta and Edmonton because of the job offer and PNP, so choice goes out the window.
i have visited Calgary and Vancouver also, and liked them both in their own right, however, costs of living would rule these out anyway. as for Edmonton St. Albert, actually in sturgeon to the north west of Edmonton would be our choice. 2 visits here now confirm this.
what i liked is so far pretty much what i have read, the main things being the schools and the people. not too much to dislike really, though the 'real' price of things is a worry, is $70k top line per year enough to live on with around $800 mth in home bills(mort, tax etc) for family of three. Obviously the weather also, i was there in -27c, wasn't as bad as i thought, though this was only for a few weeks, does cabin fever set in after a few months?
i am looking for quite simply a decent future for my child. One where i don't envisage having to hide the dismembered body of her tracksuit wearing, spliff smoking, car stealing boyfriend when he tells me she is pregnant at 13 and now he is off.
The better is in relation to the UK, where we are the highest in a number of European top tens, illiteracy under 11's, teen pregnancy, cocaine usage, leniency in custodial sentencing, road deaths and on and on. I'm sure from my research with the UN and other polls canada is much better, but this is the theory, whats the reality.
All noted

Best of luck with your new life - how far into the process are you ? Will you be landing this year ?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:53 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
All noted

Best of luck with your new life - how far into the process are you ? Will you be landing this year ?
i'll have the answer i'm assured before aug 21st, hopefully Nov at the latest.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 2:21 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

OK, where do I start.

Firstly Edm is a city. Like any city it has its problems. It has its rough areas, but it also has many lovely areas. You make sure you live in a respectable community and don't go anywhere nr the so-called no-go areas. This is THE SAME for any city surely ! The River Valley is truly stunning and as you drive around you are hit by the amount of trees and green space everywhere. Its very pretty. It is set up with miles and miles of trails and you can see people blading and cycling and walking..........just out enjoying the great outdoors.

The "downtown" is maybe not as 'happening' as other cities, but thats because the focus of the nightlife is elsewhere Ie Old Strathcona. As for Culture.......there are a zillion festivals that go on throughout the city, catering for many diverse cultures. Come and see for yourselves.

The Edmontonians comment on the traffic situation here, and we tell its nothing. Not compared to what we were used to in the UK, Edm does NOT have traffic problems, its a busy city thats all. Hub drives down the Whitemud to the Southside daily and NEVER gets stuck. Sometimes slow, but never stuck!

....the weather. We have just done our first winter here and it was no big deal. Granted, they said it was the mildest winter they have had, but apart from the odd day when it really dipped, and days when the wind-chill kicked in..................it felt no worse than the cold, damp, grey winters we are used to in England. Wrap up appropriately and don't go out walking the dog for half an hour when its bitter......simple ! We often compare temps on the Weather network, and sometimes Calgary is lower than us, sometimes higher.

House prices here are going up rapidly, compared to what they were. But I think $70k per annum should see you living quite well here. You won't be rolling in it, but as long as you don't have a huge mortgage you should be oK.

If St Albert is your intended destination, you may find you don't actually NEED to go into the city much. We don't from here, as day to day provision in Sh Pk is ample. St Albert, Sherwood Park and Beaumont are fab communities outside of the city. We feel safe here. It is very family orientated, freindly, clean, modern, huge amounts of leisure opportunities, great schooling, good shopping, ..infact everything you could need is here. We love it and are very happy. When we go out in Sh Pk and look around us at all the beautiful homes ans lakes and parks we feel incredibly lucky to be living in such a lovely place, and couldn't give it up in a hurry.
We visited BC a few weeks ago, and although it is much more scenic and lush than AB, we never saw any towns out of the ones we saw that even come close to Sh Pk

We are 4 hrs from the Rockies, so not as convenient as Calgary for that, but we have ELK Island NP 30 mins away which is a lovely wilderness haven. And many more places within reach for day trips. And if you want the mountains then just make a weekend of it. We do it all the time. Must have been in at least 6 times now in a yr. And now we have a tent, can probaly do it even more...........and more inexpensively too.

I think Edm is a good choice. When we first came here my hub had a bee in his bonnet about litter on his journey to work and tthe drab industrial areas he has to pass......................BUT ITS A CITY. We were not city people, and you have to expect a certain amount of that. As long as you don't see it out of you bedroom window.! Not everyone can have a view of the Mountains from their windows unfortunatley.........

Anyway, each to their own. I'm sure some people will dislike Edm as others will love it. What someones likes is so individual....so come and check it out and make your own mind up.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 2:24 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Over to you Linda P..................she's a big fan of Edm, and lives more IN the city than I do...........so I'm sure she'll be able to enlighten you more.

Sorry.........just re-read your post and realised you have already visited Edm, so a lot of what I said, you've probably already discovered.

We honestly have felt we made the right move coming here. Lifestyle here is Sooo much better than we had back in the UK. I can afford to stay home with my kids here. Didn't have that luxury in the UK. We watch less TV, do more and more varied things with our weekends. Are never bored. Are never unfulfilled. Love the (almost) endless blue skies...........except the last couple of days........but only a minor blip.!!! Love exploring things that are new and differnt. Love the fact you can get away from the crowds and find your own space so easily here. We have driven into the Mountains down the stunning David Thompson Highway and we were the only car on the road for the longest time. I even stood in the middle of the road to focus my camera and get the best shot of the amazing Abraham lake.................and didn't get mowed down !!!!!

Hand on heart, its an amazing place to live. Not perfect, but where is. Amazing non the less.!
Attached Thumbnails Edmonton, would you?-banff-weekend-sept-05-082.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2; Jul 31st 2006 at 2:43 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 2:37 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by R2D2
OK, where do I start.

Firstly Edm is a city. Like any city it has its problems. It has its rough areas, but it also has many lovely areas. You make sure you live in a respectable community and don't go anywhere nr the so-called no-go areas. This is THE SAME for any city surely ! The River Valley is truly stunning and as you drive around you are hit by the amount of trees and green space everywhere. Its very pretty. It is set up with miles and miles of trails and you can see people blading and cycling and walking..........just out enjoying the great outdoors.

The "downtown" is maybe not as 'happening' as other cities, but thats because the focus of the nightlife is elsewhere Ie Old Strathcona. As for Culture.......there are a zillion festivals that go on throughout the city, catering for many diverse cultures. Come and see for yourselves.

The Edmontonians comment on the traffic situation here, and we tell its nothing. Not compared to what we were used to in the UK, Edm does NOT have traffic problems, its a busy city thats all. Hub drives down the Whitemud to the Southside daily and NEVER gets stuck. Sometimes slow, but never stuck!

....the weather. We have just done our first winter here and it was no big deal. Granted, they said it was the mildest winter they have had, but apart from the odd day when it really dipped, and days when the wind-chill kicked in..................it felt no worse than the cold, damp, grey winters we are used to in England. Wrap up appropriately and don't go out walking the dog for half an hour when its bitter......simple ! We often compare temps on the Weather network, and sometimes Calgary is lower than us, sometimes higher.

House prices here are going up rapidly, compared to what they were. But I think $70k per annum should see you living quite well here. You won't be rolling in it, but as long as you don't have a huge mortgage you should be oK.

If St Albert is your intended destination, you may find you don't actually NEED to go into the city much. We don't from here, as day to day provision in Sh Pk is ample. St Albert, Sherwood Park and Beaumont are fab communities outside of the city. We feel safe here. It is very family orientated, freindly, clean, modern, huge amounts of leisure opportunities, great schooling, good shopping, ..infact everything you could need is here. We love it and are very happy. When we go out in Sh Pk and look around us at all the beautiful homes ans lakes and parks we feel incredibly lucky to be living in such a lovely place, and couldn't give it up in a hurry.
We visited BC a few weeks ago, and although it is much more scenic and lush than AB, we never saw any towns out of the ones we saw that even come close to Sh Pk

We are 4 hrs from the Rockies, so not as convenient as Calgary for that, but we have ELK Island NP 30 mins away which is a lovely wilderness haven. And many more places within reach for day trips. And if you want the mountains then just make a weekend of it. We do it all the time. Must have been in at least 6 times now in a yr. And now we have a tent, can probaly do it even more...........and more inexpensively too.

I think Edm is a good choice. When we first came here my hub had a bee in his bonnet about litter on his journey to work and tthe drab industrial areas he has to pass......................BUT ITS A CITY. We were not city people, and you have to expect a certain amount of that. As long as you don't see it out of you bedroom window.! Not everyone can have a view of the Mountains from their windows unfortunatley.........

Anyway, each to their own. I'm sure some people will dislike Edm as others will love it. What someones likes is so individual....so come and check it out and make your own mind up.
thanks a lot, my wife and i loved the river valley, I've seen it with and without snow and was truly inspired by everyone getting out and enjoying it, might even pry me away from the football and kronenburg.
i take your point about good and bad in cities, 7yrs royal navy and 10yrs Manchester police means my eyes are wide open, and, i stayed in Beverley!!.
as long as we don't struggle for cash, which we do here and are by no means extravagant i'm happy, just don't want the 'can't go for a family dinner out as no money-well we might be dead tomorrow' argument anymore, not too much to ask?
visited elk island, very nice, impressed with school field trip there at time. never made the rockies but understandably big draw.
views of mountains great i agree, English mortgage and back to square one, not so great.
thanks for your input, a chat can definitely focus your mind and i appreciate it.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

HB and I just moved here at the start of July and so far we are very happy. HB came over from England to marry me and we spent a year in Halifax (my hometown) until he received his work permit and we moved to Toronto. Two years there was more than enough, and when I received a job offer here we jumped at it. So we have a fairly good basis of comparison at least regarding other areas of Canada. There is a real "can-do" attitude and people are amazingly friendly, sometimes almost overwhelmingly so. It is true the downtown core is not especially pretty, but I find we spend most of our spare time in the other areas of the city, which has a huge number of parks and green spaces. We just got a car this weekend and are looking forward to exploring the national parks and of course the Rockies soon.

Re prices, we currently rent so I have no advice on mortgages, but I find you get far more for your rent money here than in Toronto and possibly even Halifax. Groceries have taken us by surprise by being more expensive than we thought they might. The absence of a provincial sales tax is a nice bonus, though this might not mean much to you coming straight from the UK. I have no experience of the education system yet although it is supposed to have one of the best in Canada, however I am very familiar with the healthcare system (I work in health policy) and it is excellent.

Overall we are very happy to have come here. Edmonton is a big enough city to have most of the conveniences we want, yet it is not overwhelming and the inhabitants don't have a "big city" attitude. There is an atmosphere of optimism and innovation that I haven't found in our two previous Canadian residences. I think our main complaint is that it is difficult and time-consuming to get around on public transit, but as I said we bought a car so problem solved (for us if not the environment).
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:20 pm
sticky beaking

Hi Anya
Its great that you posted your comparison on here, as although we have visited other Canadian cities we have never lived anywhere else.

You always wonder, .when choosing a destination from the UK, wether you are making the right choice. Could somewhere else offer us more...............but we are happy with our choice. Its enough for us to visit these other cities then 'come home' to Edmonton.

I knew instantly that we could never live in Toronto, although i liked it for a city break.

Now you have transport I bet you can't wait to get into the mountains.!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by R2D2
Now you have transport I bet you can't wait to get into the mountains.!
For sure - although our first priority is to find a hardward store or Rona of some sort!! There are a couple fix-it type things we have needed for our apartment since moving in and can't find any place near up that sells them!!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that there a lots of nice communities within easy commuting distance of Edmonton.
I was a cop for 20 years but decided on a change. We visited friends in Westlock and were amazed with the strong sense on Community both there are in a couple of other towns we visited. I know a lad in the RCMP and his job was similar in structure to the UK but far easier to do in practice. We liked the Edmonton area so much we decided to move there but opted for one of he sattelite towns instead of the City because I like fields and cheaper houses.
Stuarty
Old Jul 31st 2006, 5:25 pm
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by AnyaT
For sure - although our first priority is to find a hardward store or Rona of some sort!! There are a couple fix-it type things we have needed for our apartment since moving in and can't find any place near up that sells them!!

There is a big Rona on Calgary trail, just off the Whitemud.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 6:01 pm
rae
Settled.

thanks for the replies, kinda thought that edmonton would fare well, but then don't all the canadian cities according to those who live there in comparison with the UK where they came from.
the question still remains, does it matter, if its for you, you'll make it work where ever you end up. its the person making the city work, not the other way around?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.