Reload this Page >

edmonton areas?

edmonton areas?

Old Jun 10th 2007, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Smudge and Pid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default edmonton areas?

Can anyone assist?
we are due to emigrate from UK to Edmonton in a few weeks and have had trouble finding an apartment for the initial rent period- there doesn't seem to be much out there! apparently Edmonton has a lesss than 1% vacancy rate the moment- anyway to cut a long story short we have managed to find a flat that seems to good to be true!
It is on 116 street junction of 113 Ave
Does anyone know this area and what it may be like to rent in?? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

smudge and pid:
Old Jun 11th 2007, 12:10 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: edmonton areas?

Originally Posted by Smudge and Pid
Can anyone assist?
we are due to emigrate from UK to Edmonton in a few weeks and have had trouble finding an apartment for the initial rent period- there doesn't seem to be much out there! apparently Edmonton has a lesss than 1% vacancy rate the moment- anyway to cut a long story short we have managed to find a flat that seems to good to be true!
It is on 116 street junction of 113 Ave
Does anyone know this area and what it may be like to rent in?? Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated

smudge and pid:
stu, thats a nightmare area mate, right underneath the city airport, in the worst area, apart from the obvious noise from the planes, all the major roads around there really busy as they link up to the yellowhead, avoid like the plague.
have you tried these sites, let me know direct if you are struggling, but i am not sharing with you, i've smelt your feet. 12 days and counting!!

http://www.rentboard.ca/rentals/index.aspx?locid=207

http://www.homerent.ca/
Old Jun 11th 2007, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the same boat-ish. We'll probably be moving up to Edmonton from Texas in the next few weeks. It seems like quite a task to find somewhere for a family with four kids and four cats

I have heard Millwoods is the place to avoid, is the whole SE area to be avoided or just there? 118 Ave and 112 Ave have also been suggested as the really bad area's, particularly 118 Ave. Are there any other areas we should avoid like the plague?
Old Jun 11th 2007, 2:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
We are in the same boat-ish. We'll probably be moving up to Edmonton from Texas in the next few weeks. It seems like quite a task to find somewhere for a family with four kids and four cats

I have heard Millwoods is the place to avoid, is the whole SE area to be avoided or just there? 118 Ave and 112 Ave have also been suggested as the really bad area's, particularly 118 Ave. Are there any other areas we should avoid like the plague?
118 ave isn't as bad as people make it out to be, we are right in the heart of one of the worst areas of Edmonton, yet there are young couples and families and we haven't had any issues at all.

Yep there are hookers and bums but they tend to not bother you.

Its an up and coming area and the city is putting lots of money in to clean it up, and one day they will.

But people make it seem like its a horrible place, which it isn't, and there are tons of cultures in this area.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Hi there

It may be worth extending your search to the surrounding districts - though I do know that rental properties all over are few and far between. We stayed with my hubbies boss for a couple of weeks when we first arrived, but ended up renting in Spruce Grove until we bought somewhere.

Depending where you need to go in the city - Spruce Grove and Stony Plain are only 20 mins drive from the West side - 30 mins to Jasper Avenue and 45 or so from the East side depending how far out you need to go. Likewise, St Albert isn't far to the North and Sherwood Park is practically adjacent to the East. Devon is also very close to South West locations and the airport.

Good luck with your search
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, does anyone know anything about the Highlands area? We've seen a house for rent on 64 Street but it has 118 and 112 not far from it.

We spoke with a realtor who said the houses were nice but I am wondering if it is close to any real rough parts of town?

It seems with the way rental is at the moment you have to commit to things pretty quickly, which is hard when you don't know the areas.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:51 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Thank you, does anyone know anything about the Highlands area? We've seen a house for rent on 64 Street but it has 118 and 112 not far from it.

We spoke with a realtor who said the houses were nice but I am wondering if it is close to any real rough parts of town?

It seems with the way rental is at the moment you have to commit to things pretty quickly, which is hard when you don't know the areas.
i lived in this area for a couple of weeks not much i know, but enough to get a feel. what i would say is that the post from jsmth321 is fair enough, i had no problems at all, however, there are much nicer places to be, don't know why you would chose here when there are other places with even more to offer, without the seedier side, for not much more a month.
mills woods i would avoid also. old strathcona ok, as most places immediately south of the river bend downtown near the uni. otherwise go west past the end of jasper ave out to the mall. far north east, stay away from beverley, north west toward st. albert by the lakes nice, otherwise far south around ellserlie, rutherford and terwilleger.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, we were looking at that area just because the house had enough bedrooms, and it allowed pets which seems to be something of a miracle.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 1:28 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Leah, what about Ellerslie, Terwillegar type areas??? Tons and tons of new builds around there, and spitting distance from South Edm Common, and the new Century Park area they are building. Easy to get around the city too with the new Anthony Henday ringroad not far to access.
May be worth a look around the south/ sw/se areas of the city. Thats where I would choose if I had to live in the city limits.
Better still, come our way........its lurverly !!!!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by R2D2
Leah, what about Ellerslie, Terwillegar type areas??? Tons and tons of new builds around there, and spitting distance from South Edm Common, and the new Century Park area they are building. Easy to get around the city too with the new Anthony Henday ringroad not far to access.
May be worth a look around the south/ sw/se areas of the city. Thats where I would choose if I had to live in the city limits.
Better still, come our way........its lurverly !!!!
I'm really trying to find something in those areas. We love the look of Terwillegar but they don't seem to like pets down there Sherwood Park doesn't seem to have much in the way of four beds that allow pets either.

They either don't have enough bedrooms, don't have a garage which I am thinking we will really want in the winter, or they do have the right stuff, but want $3k per month in rent and I'm just not that wealthy

I'm considering keeping the cats and selling the kids!! Hubby is going to fly up next week and have a look around I think so I'm really hoping he can find something.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Diabolo will become famous soon enoughDiabolo will become famous soon enough

I live on the west side, south of west edmonton mail. Nice area.

Check out www.bwalk.com

also check out www.craigslist.com.

Very difficult to get rental houses for a good rate.

Last edited by Diabolo; Jun 13th 2007 at 5:04 am. Reason: Addition
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Smudge and Pid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Diabolo
I live on the west side, south of west edmonton mail. Nice area.

Check out www.bwalk.com

also check out www.craigslist.com.

Very difficult to get rental houses for a good rate.
Thankyou!, Will do

Dxx