Edmonton

Old Dec 20th 2013, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute
Default Edmonton

I'm planning on visiting Edmonton for a week in January (I currently live in London, Ontario) - to get a feel for the place and see if I like it. I'm thinking of moving to Edmonton and seeing if I can get a job in social services as there is no work where I am.

I still miss the UK though (been in Canada since 2002).

Anyhow, just wondering where would be the best place to base myself for a week exploring Edmonton? (I don't know anyone there).

I'd like to find somewhere where I can walk to and from places (yes, I know it will be cold!). I might rent a car but I haven't driven for about 3 years so I'm a bit hesitant about getting behind a car in a city I'm not familiar with and I have limited experience driving an automatic.

Where would be the best place/area to stay? Downtown? Or some other area? I'd like to have the opportunity to walk, catch a bus and visit a few different places.

Any thoughts appreciated.

And if anyone is here who lives in Edmonton and can give me more of a sense of the place that would be helpful too.

I'm thinking that, if I like the place, then moving and then getting a job might work ... I have the sense there are more jobs there? And that Westerners are a bit more friendly?
Old Dec 20th 2013, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton

If you are in Edmonton in January you should probably rent a car even if you haven't driven for a while. And you can easily rent a standard so you won't have to deal with an automatic (although they are easier to drive).
Old Dec 21st 2013, 4:35 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmaple
I'm planning on visiting Edmonton for a week in January (I currently live in London, Ontario) - to get a feel for the place and see if I like it. I'm thinking of moving to Edmonton and seeing if I can get a job in social services as there is no work where I am.

Anyhow, just wondering where would be the best place to base myself for a week exploring Edmonton? (I don't know anyone there).

I'd like to find somewhere where I can walk to and from places (yes, I know it will be cold!). I might rent a car but I haven't driven for about 3 years so I'm a bit hesitant about getting behind a car in a city I'm not familiar with and I have limited experience driving an automatic.

Where would be the best place/area to stay? Downtown? Or some other area? I'd like to have the opportunity to walk, catch a bus and visit a few different places.

And if anyone is here who lives in Edmonton and can give me more of a sense of the place that would be helpful too.

I'm thinking that, if I like the place, then moving and then getting a job might work ... I have the sense there are more jobs there? And that Westerners are a bit more friendly?
You may need to register with the Alberta College of Social Workers before you would be able to work as a Social Worker in Edmonton/Alberta.

http://www.albertacanada.com/FQR_Soc...r_May_2011.pdf

The Working in Canada website is showing 56 community and social worker job vacancies in Edmonton.

Old Dec 21st 2013, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

ukcop2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmaple

Coast Edmonton Plaza on 105 ave, is a good place to stay, stayed here back in 2008, it within walking distance to the downtown shopping mall, and the bus to West Edmonton mall stops almost outside.

Canterra suites on Jasper Ave are also good for extended stays as all the suites are like mini apartments so save $$ on eating out everynight!

if you need any other info feel free to PM me.

thanks
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute

Thx for all this info - it's really helpful.

Re: registering with the Alberta College of SW's - yep I do need to do that Siouxie, but my visit in January is just going to be a look see to see if I like Edmonton before paying out around $400+ in registration fees ... I really hope I do like Edmonton because I'm really struggling where I am in Ontario.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is that you'll want to stroll down Whyte Avenue. Whyte Ave is Edmonton's only "happening" street. It's also one of the few where you'll find busy sidewalks full of pedestrians. Here are some photos: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?t=204824&. By contrast, here's downtown Edmonton: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=204866

Other than that, the city was built around automobile infrastructure. Its harsh winter climate and sprawling city footprint means a car is practically a necessity.

I recently spoke with a colleague's friend who recently visited us here in Vancouver from Edmonton. A cradle, he mentioned that Alberta's oil boom has brought an overabundance of male workers into the city, changing up the social dynamics. Men outnumber women at the bars/nightclubs.

One question: Other than work prospects, what is it that attracts you to Edmonton, or that you think will make you miss the UK any less? I'd imagine a move to Edmonton will provide even greater culture shock than living in London, Ontario, but that's merely a guess.

Last edited by Lychee; Dec 28th 2013 at 10:59 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

There is a Brit expats in Edmonton Facebook page with a lot of active members. I'm sure you'll even be able to get someone to take you out for a drink when you get here.

One of the members is a social worker so may be happy to give you some tips too. https://www.facebook.com/groups/edmontonexpats/