Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice wanted on social work employment in Canada

Advice wanted on social work employment in Canada

Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice wanted on employment in Canada and moving West

Hi, I moved to London Ontario from the UK in 2002 for my husband's employment. We split up in 2010. I completed an undergraduate social work degree in London last year (BSW) and have been looking for work. The job market here is highly competitive and I have never felt at home in London as the community is known for being "conservative" (i.e. reserved) - while I've met some nice people, people don't tend to be openly warm and friendly to strangers and it's hard to get to know anyone beyond the superficial niceties. The last couple of months I've gone up to do some short courses in Toronto and I really like how friendly people are but the job market is also very competitive there - I've been advised to do a Masters course in Social Work in order to "open doors" to employment.

The thing is, I'm 50 and I have 2 degrees from the UK as well as my Canadian degree plus I need to save more money towards a pension. I'm not unwilling to do a Masters (perhaps p/t) but I would like to get a job first.

I've been thinking about moving to Alberta or Saskatchewan as I've heard the employment prospects are better. However I have some reservations and would appreciate any information on:

1. Getting a job - my experience in Ontario is that it all comes down to who you know not what you know despite the fact that employers demand a high level of education. Is it the same in Alberta/Saskatchewan? I can afford to volunteer for a little while in order to get known but I really need to get paid work sooner rather than later so any information on how the job market works in practice would be much appreciated. I am a new entrant to the social work profession and I don't have any paid experience as a social worker (although I do have volunteer experience working with different populations in various sectors but not doing professional social work work in these sectors).

Related to this - if I decide to get a survival job (e.g. Starbucks) how easy is it to get one? And how much should one dumb down one's resume? Do I leave all my degrees off or just some of them? And do you have to know someone to get a survival job too?

2. The cost of living - I've heard that while the jobs are more plentiful out West, the cost of living is considerably more. I've been managing on 30,000 gross this last year (spousal support) which will reduce considerably over the next few years. My rent is around 900 dollars and I don't have a car. The social work profession isn't known for it's high salaries and people generally need a car for work - I've been putting off getting one until I get a job. How much can one get by on in Alberta/Saskatchewan ? For example, the Globe and Mail recently published an article on people struggling on 50,000 a year in Calgary ...

3. The people - are people any friendlier out West? I've really really struggled with London (but it is known for it's "conservatism"). To put it in perspective, every time I go to Toronto (which isn't that often) I'm bowled over by how friendly people are. I also went back to England last year for a holiday and nearly burst into tears on the spot at the railway station newsagent who was so warm and chatty (that rarely happens in London). It was then that I realised how much living in London Ontario was affecting me. I think I can stand to give Canada another try (and I can't really afford not to given the UK economy) but I would really like to move somewhere where people are more warm and friendly. In Toronto people say "hello" on the street - it's not like that in London Ontario

4. Renting/housing shortage - I keep reading that there's a shortage of rental accommodation out West - is this true? CBC ran a story a while back about people struggling to find rooms in Regina. I'm thinking of trying to rent a room in Edmonton but curious to know how difficult it is to find accommodation (once I have a job, I would like to living in a bachelor apartment if I can afford it).

5. The weather ... I'm not a fan of the cold but I have been told that the one advantage out West is that you get a blue sky and sunshine with the snow. How do people cope with the long winter's? Is it possible to live there without getting depressed by the winter weather? Is there much to do in winter? (BTW I like nature, walking, cinema, cafes, libraries, that kind of thing)

6. Ergonomics - this may be a hard one to answer but I'll ask it anyway - I had a career as a librarian before being taken on by an employer in London (on a short term contract, no benefits) who set me up in a job which caused damage to my arms (repetitive strain injury) due to poor ergonomics with a computer keyboard and a job which came in p/t hours but was f/t work. I eventually had to leave the job but not before it completely ended my library career. That was about 7 years ago and I've spent a small fortune trying to get my arms better and my body stronger. I can use a keyboard now but not for 7 hours a day. I still miss my library career but now I have to focus on entering social work - so, what are employers attitudes towards ergonomics out West? Are workplace sets up any better than the experience I've had here in Ontario? I don't intend to declare an issue up front with the employer as I can use a keyboard now but I am going to try and find work that involves seeing clients and doing paperwork so that hopefully I can avoid 7 hours a day computer work. Also, I plan on spending additional money for any workplace adjustments out of my own pocket (like getting an occupational therapist to check that my keyboard is set up correctly if I start to experience problems).

Moving is going to be a big deal for me - I have no support network except myself and I'm currently trying to fathom the logistics of it. I've been advised by a friend that it can be difficult applying for jobs at a distance as employers generally want you "now" as opposed to waiting for you to move from where ever to out West. However I would hate to move and then still encounter the issues I've encountered with trying to get work in Ontario.

Any advice appreciated - the last few years have been particularly difficult for me and it would be nice to get something going well for a while ...!

Last edited by Englishmaple; Nov 24th 2013 at 9:21 pm. Reason: To change the title to reflect my questions
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice wanted on employment in Canada and moving West

Originally Posted by Englishmaple
Hi, I moved to London Ontario from the UK in 2002 for my husband's employment. We split up in 2010. I completed an undergraduate social work degree in London last year (BSW) and have been looking for work. The job market here is highly competitive and I have never felt at home in London as the community is known for being "conservative" (i.e. reserved) - while I've met some nice people, people don't tend to be openly warm and friendly to strangers and it's hard to get to know anyone beyond the superficial niceties. The last couple of months I've gone up to do some short courses in Toronto and I really like how friendly people are but the job market is also very competitive there - I've been advised to do a Masters course in Social Work in order to "open doors" to employment.

The thing is, I'm 50 and I have 2 degrees from the UK as well as my Canadian degree plus I need to save more money towards a pension. I'm not unwilling to do a Masters (perhaps p/t) but I would like to get a job first.

I've been thinking about moving to Alberta or Saskatchewan as I've heard the employment prospects are better. However I have some reservations and would appreciate any information on:

1. Getting a job - my experience in Ontario is that it all comes down to who you know not what you know despite the fact that employers demand a high level of education. Is it the same in Alberta/Saskatchewan? I can afford to volunteer for a little while in order to get known but I really need to get paid work sooner rather than later so any information on how the job market works in practice would be much appreciated. I am a new entrant to the social work profession and I don't have any paid experience as a social worker (although I do have volunteer experience working with different populations in various sectors but not doing professional social work work in these sectors).

Related to this - if I decide to get a survival job (e.g. Starbucks) how easy is it to get one? And how much should one dumb down one's resume? Do I leave all my degrees off or just some of them? And do you have to know someone to get a survival job too?

2. The cost of living - I've heard that while the jobs are more plentiful out West, the cost of living is considerably more. I've been managing on 30,000 gross this last year (spousal support) which will reduce considerably over the next few years. My rent is around 900 dollars and I don't have a car. The social work profession isn't known for it's high salaries and people generally need a car for work - I've been putting off getting one until I get a job. How much can one get by on in Alberta/Saskatchewan ? For example, the Globe and Mail recently published an article on people struggling on 50,000 a year in Calgary ...

3. The people - are people any friendlier out West? I've really really struggled with London (but it is known for it's "conservatism"). To put it in perspective, every time I go to Toronto (which isn't that often) I'm bowled over by how friendly people are. I also went back to England last year for a holiday and nearly burst into tears on the spot at the railway station newsagent who was so warm and chatty (that rarely happens in London). It was then that I realised how much living in London Ontario was affecting me. I think I can stand to give Canada another try (and I can't really afford not to given the UK economy) but I would really like to move somewhere where people are more warm and friendly. In Toronto people say "hello" on the street - it's not like that in London Ontario

4. Renting/housing shortage - I keep reading that there's a shortage of rental accommodation out West - is this true? CBC ran a story a while back about people struggling to find rooms in Regina. I'm thinking of trying to rent a room in Edmonton but curious to know how difficult it is to find accommodation (once I have a job, I would like to living in a bachelor apartment if I can afford it).

5. The weather ... I'm not a fan of the cold but I have been told that the one advantage out West is that you get a blue sky and sunshine with the snow. How do people cope with the long winter's? Is it possible to live there without getting depressed by the winter weather? Is there much to do in winter? (BTW I like nature, walking, cinema, cafes, libraries, that kind of thing)

6. Ergonomics - this may be a hard one to answer but I'll ask it anyway - I had a career as a librarian before being taken on by an employer in London (on a short term contract, no benefits) who set me up in a job which caused damage to my arms (repetitive strain injury) due to poor ergonomics with a computer keyboard and a job which came in p/t hours but was f/t work. I eventually had to leave the job but not before it completely ended my library career. That was about 7 years ago and I've spent a small fortune trying to get my arms better and my body stronger. I can use a keyboard now but not for 7 hours a day. I still miss my library career but now I have to focus on entering social work - so, what are employers attitudes towards ergonomics out West? Are workplace sets up any better than the experience I've had here in Ontario? I don't intend to declare an issue up front with the employer as I can use a keyboard now but I am going to try and find work that involves seeing clients and doing paperwork so that hopefully I can avoid 7 hours a day computer work. Also, I plan on spending additional money for any workplace adjustments out of my own pocket (like getting an occupational therapist to check that my keyboard is set up correctly if I start to experience problems).

Moving is going to be a big deal for me - I have no support network except myself and I'm currently trying to fathom the logistics of it. I've been advised by a friend that it can be difficult applying for jobs at a distance as employers generally want you "now" as opposed to waiting for you to move from where ever to out West. However I would hate to move and then still encounter the issues I've encountered with trying to get work in Ontario.

Any advice appreciated - the last few years have been particularly difficult for me and it would be nice to get something going well for a while ...!

Hi There,
hmmm lots of questions there. im a SW in BC i applied for a job before coming here, i had my PR in place and so moved from the UK here on my own.
i have a SW degree from UK which is accredited here.
i looked for work on the government websites this kept me updated and aware of the climate. there was a jobs freeze on for a couple of months but slowly the positions filtered through.
the people here are lovely and im right near the border to alberta and the states so i think ive got a good spot. the cost of living evens out with the salary. i didnt have any issues finding somewhere to rent. there is tons of stuff to do year round, lots of groups etc for all ages . the team i work with are fab as are my landlords, neighbours and community. they manage with my sense of humour and accent and appear to be pretty genuine folk. i work for the government so my desk set up is run in line with health and safety to prevent future issues. i feel looked after if that makes sense.
not really sure if any of the above helps but if your not finding the opportunities and life you want where you are maybe a move is just the trick
Old Nov 27th 2013, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice wanted on social work employment in Canada

Thanks for that info. BC is a place I've often thought of moving to (I'm a yoga teacher as well as a social worker and BC is yoga mecca!) - but I've hesitated because of the cost of living there - I've heard accommodation is very expensive to rent ? How much does it cost to rent in BC? I pay around $900 for a 1 bedroom apartment in London but that is expensive (it's because it's close to the university).

I also wasn't sure of the job situation in BC? I know Alberta tends to be the place where people head to for work at the moment. As well, I've had such a difficult time with getting work in Ontario - it really is all about networking here. Does the same hold true in BC? Am thinking it must be a bit more of a transparent job application process if you were able to apply for a job from the UK ?

Any info on BC appreciated - and I will check out the government website.

I'm still on the fence about Alberta because I'm not sure I can handle minus 30 temperatures!

Thanks
Old Nov 28th 2013, 9:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice wanted on employment in Canada and moving West

Hi, I moved to London Ontario from the UK in 2002 for my husband's employment. We split up in 2010.
Perhaps it's somewhere in the middle of the long post, but it seems that you've not told us what's your immigration status in Canada. Are you a Canadian citizen or permanent resident?
Old Nov 29th 2013, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Hello, Fellow BSW, MSW here. Canadian born, I will receive my British Citizenship next week (which is why I am on this forum). As for SW in Ontario, the whole province is tough to find a job in. Like you, I had my BSW, couldn't find work and was told to complete my MSW, which I just did (while having two babies). Guess what? Now I need French, they tell me (Ottawa). Forget it!

I have an MSW friend in Toronto who spent six months unable to secure any work post graduation. Guess where she is headed? UK on a visa. She applied across Ontario and couldn't find work.

Do not make the mistake of thinking an MSW will open doors. It is the new teacher's college... swamped and oversubscribed. I find what is happening to social work and the MSW in particular to be highly unethical. It is a cash cow masters for Ontario universities. Don't waste your time.

If I were you, I would take your perfectly good BSW and move to Alberta. I have social work friends who have done so and the pay is excellent ($45-65/hr) in child protection. A BSW will suffice. Another option is Vancouver Island, where BSWs work in hospital, a job, as you know, you need an MSW to do in ON.

I was born here in ON. I don't find the job market, nor the people welcoming. Perhaps in a smaller town, like Kingston, for example, you could find contentment, but to be honest, there will be competition even in small towns from MSWs. When I did my MSW post BSW, I was shocked to find my "classmates" had degrees in drama, history, etc. It is a bad sign for the profession. An employer will value your BSW followed by work ( out west) followed by an MSW. You have a valid degree. Take it West where it is appreciated.

Just my two cents. Been there, struggled. I am taking my degrees to the UK or Oz. I have wasted enough time in Ontario. Just my forty years of experience.

Good luck!
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

JAJ I'm a Canadian citizen - I took on Canadian citizenship after I arrived in Canada (I also have British citizenship too as I'm from the UK).

Lilipuddlian - You voice so much of what has been my perception with respect to social work education and I too know people who got an MSW and still couldn't get work. I cannot understand why a BSW is not given a little bit more credence by employers compared to an MSW - particularly when the individuals undergraduate degree is completely unrelated to the social sciences. I think education has very much become corrupted by the "business model" where degrees are products which then increases the level of credentialism in the whole job market.

You mentioned Vancouver Island - do you have any sense of what the job market is in Vancouver for social workers? My sense is that everywhere in Canada is struggling employment wise except Alberta where all the jobs are? But I don't know whether this is accurate?

I am struggling with the idea of moving to Alberta because of the cold - although everyone prefixes it by saying it's a dry cold - but minus 30 is minus 30! So I can't help thinking it's still very very cold. I also wonder how easy it will be to make connections with people when it is so cold in terms of community - as I mentioned in my first post, one of the things I have really struggled with is forming connections of any depth with people. I would really like to live in a community where people say hello or good morning to each other when they walk down a street.

Also curious about the job market in the UK? - I looked into moving back but when I posted on a social work board I was advised to get some work experience first ... also I know from growing up there that it's very challenging being a social worker in the UK because of the way the media portray social workers ... which is very sad.

Thank you for posting - I really appreciate it.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

JAJ I'm a Canadian citizen - I took on Canadian citizenship after I arrived in Canada (I also have British citizenship too as I'm from the UK).

Lilipuddlian - You voice so much of what has been my perception with respect to social work education and I too know people who got an MSW and still couldn't get work. I cannot understand why a BSW is not given a little bit more credence by employers compared to an MSW - particularly when the individuals undergraduate degree is completely unrelated to the social sciences. I think education has very much become corrupted by the "business model" where degrees are products which then increases the level of credentialism in the whole job market.

You mentioned Vancouver Island - do you have any sense of what the job market is in Vancouver for social workers? My sense is that everywhere in Canada is struggling employment wise except Alberta where all the jobs are? But I don't know whether this is accurate?

I am struggling with the idea of moving to Alberta because of the cold - although everyone prefixes it by saying it's a dry cold - but minus 30 is minus 30! So I can't help thinking it's still very very cold. I also wonder how easy it will be to make connections with people when it is so cold in terms of community - as I mentioned in my first post, one of the things I have really struggled with is forming connections of any depth with people. I would really like to live in a community where people say hello or good morning to each other when they walk down a street.

Also curious about the job market in the UK? - I looked into moving back but when I posted on a social work board I was advised to get some work experience first ... also I know from growing up there that it's very challenging being a social worker in the UK because of the way the media portray social workers ... which is very sad.

Thank you for posting - I really appreciate it.
Hi EnglishMaple,

Canada, from my perspective, suffers from credential inflation. That is why a BSW is seen as the poor cousin to a masters, even with a ridiculous undergrad. It is crazy. MSW is now the entry point degree, not because it is required, but because somebody else benefits from this credential inflation (universities).

Almost every industry in Canada suffers from this... they want occupational therapists and physios to have masters, too. Greedy universities, professional bodies and TOO MUCH COMPETITION.

Everybody has an undergrad here, we're all trying to secure jobs... the masters is the new undergrad and loads of people now have one. Universities are only too happy to take their money. The next hurdle? PHD. I'm not kidding. I know many desperate PHD students hoping to gain an edge. Crazy.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 1:34 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm am so surprised that Canada is not in more need of SW. My local council are advertising nearly every week for qualified SWs (might be down to the fact they had a bad ofsted report though!)

I am a residential care worker in a children's home and a youth worker as well and I liaise with SWs. I understand a little about the qualification ladder here but in Canada it sounds much more cut throat and not what I expected at all.

I thought I always assumed SWs were in high demand everywhere :S
Old Dec 28th 2013, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

In Ontario the job market is very challenging for sw's for a whole range of reasons ... hence my decision to move. One of the biggest challenges I think is the whole MSW thing - I'm all for people doing an MSW if it's worth something but the way it's being run at the moment in Canada it's credentialism at it's worst.

That said, I've looked into working in the UK and I get the impression that it can be just as challenging getting into sw there - particularly if you are new to the profession (as I am) and haven't followed a particular path to obtaining your qualification (for eg, in the UK there seems to be a lot weighted on which LA placement you did as part of your degree course).
Old Dec 28th 2013, 10:42 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

In Ontario the job market is very challenging for sw's for a whole range of reasons ... hence my decision to move. One of the biggest challenges I think is the whole MSW thing - I'm all for people doing an MSW if it's worth something but the way it's being run at the moment in Canada it's credentialism at it's worst.

That said, I've looked into working in the UK and I get the impression that it can be just as challenging getting into sw there - particularly if you are new to the profession (as I am) and haven't followed a particular path to obtaining your qualification (for eg, in the UK there seems to be a lot weighted on which LA placement you did as part of your degree course).
Its not just sw. There are admins where I work with MBAs and other degrees, courses @ Sorbonne, etc.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 6:59 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

There was a poster called 'dingbat' who was knowledgeable on working as a social worker in BC, especially Vancouver and vicinity. If anyone's interested in sw in BC you might want to review her posts. I think she trained here as well. I don't think she had a lot of great things to say about sw in BC though.