Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Eat your heart out Christopher Dean

Eat your heart out Christopher Dean

Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:23 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Eat your heart out Christopher Dean

Our 5 year old had his very first ice skating session at the weekend, and took to it like a duck to water (so to speak)

Step one.............eased gently onto ice holding "zimmerframe", with Mummy's hand firmly gripping rear end !

Step two..............confident enough to have a go, just holding the frame

Step three...............quite the clever clogs now..............going it alone

Step four................flat on his backside....................Aaaaaah. Still, no pain, no gain.

Its just so nice to have all these winter facilites on your doorstep. We were in two minds wether to give him his first go at skiing as well this winter, but now we've seen him take to the ice, my doubts about him being too little are fading. I sense an expensive few months coming on .......kerchinggggggg !!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:29 am
Cowtown

Default Re: Eat your heart out Christopher Dean

Originally Posted by R2D2
Our 5 year old had his very first ice skating session at the weekend, and took to it like a duck to water (so to speak).........
I sense an expensive few months coming on .......kerchinggggggg !!

Where did you get the idea it was only 'months'. Just wait until he discovers he can play hockey - he is not too young. This season is well underway but next year he will still be in the Tykes - not too pricy at that age!

Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Our 5 year old had his very first ice skating session at the weekend, and took to it like a duck to water (so to speak)

Step one.............eased gently onto ice holding "zimmerframe", with Mummy's hand firmly gripping rear end !

Step four................flat on his backside....................Aaaaaah. Still, no pain, no gain.

Its just so nice to have all these winter facilites on your doorstep. We were in two minds wether to give him his first go at skiing as well this winter, but now we've seen him take to the ice, my doubts about him being too little are fading. I sense an expensive few months coming on .......kerchinggggggg !!
Our son took to it similarly, and then did reasonably well at hockey too. Fortunately he decided not to bother with hockey this winter, but he's into skiing so his "Young Olympian" skiing club in the mountains is costing us a few dollars. But who knows, a couple of winters skiing at Lake Louise and he might make the GB Olympic team

He wants to do speed skating too, and that would almost be a certainty for a GB team place. Where in the UK is there a 440m skating oval at 3000 ft above sea-level?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:32 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Our son took to it similarly, and then did reasonably well at hockey too. Fortunately he decided not to bother with hockey this winter, but he's into skiing so his "Young Olympian" skiing club in the mountains is costing us a few dollars. But who knows, a couple of winters skiing at Lake Louise and he might make the GB Olympic team

He wants to do speed skating too, and that would almost be a certainty for a GB team place. Where in the UK is there a 440m skating oval at 3000 ft above sea-level?
Hi fellow Albertans,
Does anyone know of a good safe creche attached to one of the ski-clubs in Lake Loiuse, Jasper, Banff. Just thinking, that if we do go into the Mountains to give Junior a go, we need somewhere to put diddy junior as he is definately too young to be let loose with a pair of ski's. We have a local ski area here called Sunridge, so might just start of with this to begin with.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Yep, both mine are doing the ice-skating thing. Have you bought their skates yet? We got them from Wal Mart, apparently Canadian Tire also do them - both very reasonably priced (about $40+tax). They sell helmets too, which are mandatory if you enrol them in lessons.

Me in ice-skates with my two, regularly provide the entertainment at the ice-rink.

The first time we went I told my husband that my 3yo made my 5yo look like Robin Cousins and I'm not saying my 5yo was good. We didn't do the zimmer frame thing as the lessons don't use them. They are both up and skating and better than me already

Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:40 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

I've been told as my 2 year old can walk, then she can learn to skate. so..........here's the dilemma. do I risk me on skates (trip to A&E after) or wait until her brother can take her - at 9 years old and only 2 lessons, he's probably better than me anyway
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Seeing what our 3yo was like, I'd be inclined to hang on a bit and let her brother take her. My son gets on much better with his big brother holding his hand. Also buy her skates, you can either get ones that adjust over 4 sizes. If they are too big for her tiny feet, you can get the blades that strap onto normal shoes. Buy some guards and then let her practice walking around the house in them. That was our big problem we put skates on our 3yo at the rink and he couldn't walk on them off the ice, let alone on the ice. They also don't understand why they can't just go off and skate. The first lesson our younger son spent most of the lesson on his hands and knees trying to crawl to where he wanted to go

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
I've been told as my 2 year old can walk, then she can learn to skate. so..........here's the dilemma. do I risk me on skates (trip to A&E after) or wait until her brother can take her - at 9 years old and only 2 lessons, he's probably better than me anyway
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:13 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
Just strap some bob-skates to her boots, protect her noggin, find some ice - even a frozen puddle in your backyard is enough to start - and let her figure it out! She's not going to do much except stand there and wobble for the first while anyway. And you can just wear regular boots for your own stabilty and pull her around a bit so she can experience the gliding.

I honestly don't remember not knowing how to skate and can't remember how I learned but I've seen many kids learn and they really do just figure it out like they do walking. Adults learning to skate... now that is a scary thing to witness! :scared:
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:42 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade

Wouldn't that be the Canadian Olympic Team ?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tangram
Wouldn't that be the Canadian Olympic Team ?
I think that would require a lot more work.

The kids have dual nationality so they could choose either, I figured there wouldn't be much competition for speed-skating places given the difference in facilities.

Skiing might be a bit harder, there was a Brit skiing in the World Cup downhill at Lake Louise last weekend. When I was watching he was in 3rd place ... after 5 skiers had gone down the hill
Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Just strap some bob-skates to her boots, protect her noggin, find some ice - even a frozen puddle in your backyard is enough to start - and let her figure it out! She's not going to do much except stand there and wobble for the first while anyway. And you can just wear regular boots for your own stabilty and pull her around a bit so she can experience the gliding.

I honestly don't remember not knowing how to skate and can't remember how I learned but I've seen many kids learn and they really do just figure it out like they do walking. Adults learning to skate... now that is a scary thing to witness! :scared:
Yep, that's how both my kids learned to skate, both at the age of 2. My little guy now 5 is playing hockey with friends on a regular basis or with my husband, and my little girl (3) skates quite well!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:22 pm
sticky beaking

Adults learning to skate... now that is a scary thing to witness! :scared:
Oh Mr Pea's, you are so right, Mr R2D2 joined us for our little session on Sat, and the only instruction I gave to our 5 yo was......... 'just don't copy what Daddy is doing' Bless his cotton socks..............he appeared to have leg lock !
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:58 pm

Oh Mr Pea's,
Ahem... Ms Peas...
Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:12 am
sticky beaking

Ahem... Ms Peas...
Apologies......................I thought that might happen after I wrote it. I don't know why I thought you were a chap...........SORRY !
Old Nov 30th 2005, 3:00 pm

Apologies......................I thought that might happen after I wrote it. I don't know why I thought you were a chap...........SORRY !
No worries, I get that a lot online. And in real life, when I've gone to gay bars, it's the men who hit on me. I think I've a transexual-ness air about me.