Reload this Page >

Easy to cross the border?

Easy to cross the border?

Old Aug 16th 2006, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Andygirl will become famous soon enoughAndygirl will become famous soon enough
Default Easy to cross the border?

Hey guys and gals,

I'm thinking of joining 2 of my canadian friends on a road trip to Seattle. I know they won't have any problems crossing the border in the car, but will I? I'll have my passport, but no actual proof of when I will leave. I'm only going to be in the states for 4 or so days, and am coming back with my mates in their car, but will the Americans expect me to show anything to prove I'm leaving? Usually when you fly in, you HAVE to have a return ticket showing when you leave the country, but what about if you're coming in by car?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Andy x
Old Aug 16th 2006, 6:00 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Easy to cross the border?

I read somewhere that for British passport holders you have to fill in a declaration card at the border and pay $7 for an I-94 visa that lets you come and go for three months.

Originally Posted by Andygirl
Hey guys and gals,

I'm thinking of joining 2 of my canadian friends on a road trip to Seattle. I know they won't have any problems crossing the border in the car, but will I? I'll have my passport, but no actual proof of when I will leave. I'm only going to be in the states for 4 or so days, and am coming back with my mates in their car, but will the Americans expect me to show anything to prove I'm leaving? Usually when you fly in, you HAVE to have a return ticket showing when you leave the country, but what about if you're coming in by car?

Andy x
Old Aug 16th 2006, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys and gals,

Andy x
As I understand it, when you cross the boarder you will be directed to an immigration official who will ask lots of dumb questions, like "How long your gonna be in the country?" "Where will you be staying?" If you satisfy the bod he will take your picture and finger prints and then demand $6.00 and clip a form in to your passport; I think it's an I-94, and stamp your passport with the visa and the date you have to leave by, if there is no date stamp you can stay up to 90 days. You will probably be admitted for a set amount of time and then you leave and go on you merry way.

On your return to Canada you must remember to hand back the form that was clipped in your passport to an Canadian border official, may be a US on not sure on this point. The form must be handed in before you right to stay had expired or you will have all sorts of problems getting in next time.

I think that is how it works.

Dozzzzy

Applied Skilled Worker (London)
Application submitted - 05th July 2004
AOR Dated - 21st July 2004 (18 Months)
Delay Letter - Arrived Jan 2006 (Delayed till June 2006)
Medical Request - 26 May 2006 (NO Interview or Updated Docs Required)
Medical Taken - 28th May 2006
Medical Received - 4 July 2006
Info Request - 17 July - Update Available Funds
PPR - 14 Aug 2006 !!!!!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 6:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Take US cash. Last time I did this (a while ago now, granted) they would not take Cdn cash, and did not have CC facilities to pay for the I94

That was at the Ambassador bridge...the busiest border crossing onthe planet, so it wasnt cos it was some obscure crossing point.

You dont have to hand the I94W back when leaving this time, for example if you plan to return to the US in the next few months, but make sure you return it at some point.

Take your PR card(if you have it yet) or IMM Record of Landing too to get back into canada.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 16th 2006 at 6:12 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Mr B (British passport) usually gets a quick "where do you live, are a you a PR in Canada, is this your vehicle?" and he's in. I think they just want to see you have permanent ties to Canada to show that you are not likely to overstay or work in the US.

what about if you're coming in by car?
Old Aug 16th 2006, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

when i was in canada, we used to have fun everytime we crossed into the States via Niagara! almost 99% of the time we were treated to the US customs overtly famous "friendliness"! needless to say, we never tried to give them a chance to get us on anything. as long as you are sensible and answer all their questions in a straight forward manner, you'll be ok!

Hey guys and gals,

Andy x
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:21 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: Easy to cross the border?

Originally Posted by iaink
Take US cash. Last time I did this (a while ago now, granted) they would not take Cdn cash, and did not have CC facilities to pay for the I94

That was at the Ambassador bridge...the busiest border crossing onthe planet, so it wasnt cos it was some obscure crossing point.

You dont have to hand the I94W back when leaving this time, for example if you plan to return to the US in the next few months, but make sure you return it at some point.

Take your PR card(if you have it yet) or IMM Record of Landing too to get back into canada.
Ambassador Bridge? Windsor, Ontario? Been across there many times, and under the tunnel too between Detroit and Windsor. I have family in Windsor somewhere, but lost track of them now since they moved to a new address.

Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:35 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think you will have any problems. I once drove my car (registered to me), with Texas plates, back in to the US from Canada. At that time I didn't have a VISA, I entered on the VWP. I paid my $6 (take correct change, cash only), they issued a new i94.

I crossed at a small crossing (i believe the crossing closed at 5pm or something similiar!) on Highway 395. I got there with my Sat Nav and presumed Highway 395 would be a main crossing, but it was manned by just two border patrol gaurds and had just one lane! As it turned out this was perfect as I didn't have to queue at all. Just be honest with them, and you will have nothing to fear.
I crossed alone, but if you have 2 Canadian friends with you, and the car isn't yours you should be just fine.

Hey guys and gals,

Andy x
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Usually when you fly in, you HAVE to have a return ticket showing when you leave the country, but what about if you're coming in by car?

There is no legal requirement for a return ticket on the land frontier. However you should bring your ticket (or at least a copy of it) in case the border guards ask questions about your planned return to the UK.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:21 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is no legal requirement for a return ticket on the land frontier. However you should bring your ticket (or at least a copy of it) in case the border guards ask questions about your planned return to the UK.
Even in the case of the OP? Isnt whatever resident visa they have for canada sufficent evidence that they will leave the US?

Its a good point for people visiting the US as part of a visit to Canada though. My brother had a hard time at the border on his honeymoon on the way to NY from Niagara because of that. Left it at the hotel they were returning to in Toronto.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Even in the case of the OP? Isnt whatever resident visa they have for canada sufficent evidence that they will leave the US?

Its a good point for people visiting the US as part of a visit to Canada though. My brother had a hard time at the border on his honeymoon on the way to NY from Niagara because of that. Left it at the hotel they were returning to in Toronto.
If person is living in Canada, then evidence of that will be helpful instead of a ticket elsewhere. It's not obligatory in either case but will make things easier if questions are asked.

Incidentally, Canadians can be (and often are) asked the exact same questions as those from visa waiver countries. Being Canadian (or Bermudian) means you get 6 months to visit in the U.S., can fly in one way, and don't have to complete the I94W, but it doesn't necessarily give an easier ride otherwise.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys and gals,

I'm thinking of joining 2 of my canadian friends on a road trip to Seattle. I know they won't have any problems crossing the border in the car, but will I? I'll have my passport, but no actual proof of when I will leave.
Andy x
I would think your best bet is to call the US consulate in Vancouver.

http://www.amcits.com/vancouver.asp

You might also try the British consulate also as they should be familiar with these situations.

Consulate General – Vancouver, British Columbia

Hours

Open to the public Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm
(Time difference from Ottawa: Minus 3 hours)
For office closures please see Public Holidays.

The office is located in downtown Vancouver on the corner of Melville and Thurlow Streets.

Contact Details

1111 Melville Street, Suite 800
Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 3V6
Tel: 604 683 4421
Fax: 604 681 0693
Email: [email protected]

Last edited by montreal mike; Aug 17th 2006 at 3:25 am.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:48 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I would think your best bet is to call the US consulate in Vancouver.

http://www.amcits.com/vancouver.asp

You might also try the British consulate also as they should be familiar with these situations.
How on earth is a British consulate going to know about U.S. immigration laws?

Anyway, there's no need to waste time and money trying to speak to a real person when the answer is available online:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...iv.html#niv101

Can I enter the United States by land from Canada or Mexico under the Visa Waiver Program?

Yes. If you enter by land there is no requirement that you be in possession of a round trip or onward ticket. The immigration authorities at the border crossing will issue you with the arrival/departure record card, I-94W. You will be charged a $6.00 administrative fee; the fee is payable in U.S. dollars only.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 4:35 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys and gals,

Andy x
If I were you, I'd take a copy of your rental agreement or whatever you have that shows you live in Canada. Chances are that it won't be a problem and that you won't need to show it, but I have seen two Canadians turned back at that particular border crossing because they couldn't prove intent to leave. One of them was told to go home and get her lease agreement. The other was told not to even bother coming back. Granted, she was in VW bug headed for California, but still....

Myself, I've been through that crossing several times without (major) incident.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
If I were you, I'd take a copy of your rental agreement or whatever you have that shows you live in Canada. Chances are that it won't be a problem and that you won't need to show it, but I have seen two Canadians turned back at that particular border crossing because they couldn't prove intent to leave. One of them was told to go home and get her lease agreement. The other was told not to even bother coming back. Granted, she was in VW bug headed for California, but still....

Myself, I've been through that crossing several times without (major) incident.

hi!
stop confusing the poor girl!
its dead easy from vancouver, officers on the whole are really nice, they seem to like brits.
take your passport, and your status for canada, ie pr card. and you will be asked to fill in the green waiver, and pay $6. All they usually ask is whats the purpose of your trip?
i cross the border from vancouver every couple of weeks. no problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.