Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DVD regional codes?

DVD regional codes?

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVD regional codes?

Computers don't care about PAL or NTSC when you're just viewing on the monitor. They do care about regions, but there is some software you can buy which will convince Windows that your DVD drive is region-free even when it's not; I still have an older DVD drive which is region-free, so I don't have to care about that, but do have to run other software to change region on the player since that is also limited to five changes.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:29 pm
LHK
Forum Regular

LHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, MarkG!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:46 pm
LHK
Forum Regular

LHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura about

Just wanted to update this one. I've got my Region 2 DVDs (Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister) the day before yesterday and they worked in my notebook like a charm!

An odd note, the DVD box says it's good for Regions 2+4 (which includes Brazil). Anyway, my notebook was bought in the US, but thanks to a software (DVD Region+CSS Free), it didn't pay attention to the region at all.

Thanks to all who helped me!

Most interesting thing is the route the DVD took up to get here: I sent it to a US PO Box of a friend who lives in Canada. He picked it up and took it to San Francisco, where another friend picked it up and brought it to me - together with some books that yet another friend brought from the UK to SF!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:00 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

VLC is an excellent piece of software:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

and it should get round your problems. The other issue you may have is that the actual firmware of your DVD drive might be region locked. If this does seem to be a problem, you might want to search for region-free firmware for your particular drive.

Here's a guide on that:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/articles/H...e_region_free/

EDIT: Hmm, I seem to have missed the previous posts somehow. I'm an idiot.

Last edited by bazzz; Nov 7th 2007 at 3:05 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Welshman
Hi
Wal-Mart $30 Diamond Vision. Plays all regions. At that price, what can you say!
I bought this same DVD player Diamond Vision, it kinda worked,skipped alot...hard to watch....anyway it worked for about a 2/3mths. so i bought more UK kid dvds. and now it doesn't play them at all...and now its been too long to return the stupid thing. so there is sits!!!!...let's hope it will work the other way around, anyone go back and try cnd or british dvd's...
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:36 pm
ARH
Forum Regular

ARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Earl J
I am trying to play DVD's from the UK on my region 1 DVD player..have read the regional code hacks on this site and tried the one for a Sony solution but it didn't work, ....... so , I just bought a cheap MAX DVP-6100 player that is supposed to work for all regions and that won't play them either ...any suggestions would be appreciated
Buy a new DVD that will allow a multi-region hack. I got a Philips DVP-5982 Up-Converting HDMI player and it works great with my UK DVD's, about $70.