Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Duvets!! WTF??

Duvets!! WTF??

Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:41 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duvets!! WTF??

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I never noticed. Duh
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ailsa n Dave
Thanks for all the replies!! Sounds like a trip to ikea is in order!! Maybe we should try this comforter thing though... I actually like the sound of not having to put duvets into covers anymore!!
If you're in Ancaster, you have an IKEA nearby in Burlington.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

Went to the Ikea in Burlington today as suggested and yes they do have duvets! They don't show togs but do have weight ratings on them... But oooft! expensive! (compared to UK costs)

Thanks all for the help and info!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Went to the Ikea in Burlington today as suggested and yes they do have duvets! They don't show togs but do have weight ratings on them... But oooft! expensive! (compared to UK costs)

Thanks all for the help and info!
Try Costco.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Kitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to all

hello!!!

I was thinking about bringing my duvet covers & pillow cases (UK King size), but buying new quilts etc over there (in need of new ones anyway!)...So, if a UK King size is a CAD Queen size...we should be good right? Or no...?

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kitslane
hello!!!

I was thinking about bringing my duvet covers & pillow cases (UK King size), but buying new quilts etc over there (in need of new ones anyway!)...So, if a UK King size is a CAD Queen size...we should be good right? Or no...?

Thanks for your help!
Yes...you should be OK.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

hello!!!

Thanks for your help!
I'd bring what you have quilt wise if you have good ones... They are expensive here!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Kitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes...you should be OK.
fab thanks!

I'd bring what you have quilt wise if you have good ones... They are expensive here!
haha well Ive wanted a new quilt for ages as ours are so old, but perhaps I may be better buying a new one here and shipping it over with everything else?!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

fab thanks!

haha well Ive wanted a new quilt for ages as ours are so old, but perhaps I may be better buying a new one here and shipping it over with everything else?!
I would go with the comforter thing. Most people here heat the house at night out of necessity, I have found that UK winter weight duvets are too hot.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 6:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

fab thanks!

Personally, yes I would because it depends on the type of house you are living in and the amount of heat you can afford to pump into it at night as to how warm it will be.

One of those ones that have a summer weight/winter weight that can be put together would be a good buy, perhaps.

I live in an older house with no insulation other than in the roof space and I have a duvet (Canadian) and a comforter on the bed - wear 2 sweaters to bed, socks and track pants and freeze my bits off every night. If I turn the heat up to more than 17c my heating bill almost doubles because as fast as the heat is pumping in it's going back out again and the furnace ends up running constantly.

Just sayin'
Old Mar 17th 2013, 6:45 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by siouxie
Personally, yes I would because it depends on the type of house you are living in and the amount of heat you can afford to pump into it at night as to how warm it will be.

One of those ones that have a summer weight/winter weight that can be put together would be a good buy, perhaps.

I live in an older house with no insulation other than in the roof space and I have a duvet (Canadian) and a comforter on the bed - wear 2 sweaters to bed, socks and track pants and freeze my bits off every night. If I turn the heat up to more than 17c my heating bill almost doubles because as fast as the heat is pumping in it's going back out again and the furnace ends up running constantly.

Just sayin'
Ooer, ee heat the house to 16C and I think that's warmer than my uk house. It is draught fre unless I open a window which I do when it isn't desperately cold. We did spend half the winter with no heat coming in through the duct, now fixed, and then I had extra blankets.

We tried a lower temp but it ended up costing more getting the house back up to a liveable temp when we are at home.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:44 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by siouxie

Just sayin'
I may be going gaga but I'm sure i was always told to go to bed in the naughty naked buff to keep warm. The more layers, the colder you get. I was told that info by a bloke, mind.
Old May 18th 2013, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

hello!!!

Thanks for your help!
A UK king duvet is wider than a Canadian queen duvet so with your UK bedding you will have a few inches spare duvet cover on either side of the Canadian duvet if that makes sense. I have this and it drives me mad!! The duvet gets all twisted inside
I'm in the UK now for a bit and planning on bringing a Uk duvet back with me if I can get it in my bag. I don't like the small selection of comforters or covers in Canada (or the price) so figure I'll just shop for new bedding online in the UK when I need it.
Old May 18th 2013, 11:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1
A UK king duvet is wider than a Canadian queen duvet so with your UK bedding you will have a few inches spare duvet cover on either side of the Canadian duvet if that makes sense. I have this and it drives me mad!! The duvet gets all twisted inside
I'm in the UK now for a bit and planning on bringing a Uk duvet back with me if I can get it in my bag. I don't like the small selection of comforters or covers in Canada (or the price) so figure I'll just shop for new bedding online in the UK when I need it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedding
Old May 19th 2013, 12:49 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Bedding drives me bloody bonkers! Over the years I have had several friends from the USA and Canada, who have met and had kids with people from Spain, France, the UK and Germany! I've moved around a bit myself, and now I think what the hell just try to jam it in! It's then that you realise...those extra 2 cms make all the difference!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.