Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Duvets!! WTF??

Duvets!! WTF??

Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice
Default Re: Duvets!! WTF??

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I know, keeps us happy though.
In that case it's worth it.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

emjaca85 is an unknown quantity at this point

reading stuff like this helps so much for when I move over!
Old Mar 9th 2013, 9:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emjaca85
reading stuff like this helps so much for when I move over!
If you have a good quilt already (and a little spare luggage space) you could think about using one of those vacuum bags and bringing it with you.

Must admit I find quilt covers so expensive here when compared to places like Argos in the UK (even if they are probably better quality here).

Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:48 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a comforter convert! Gradually replacing our duvets for comforters. Putting covers on duvets was always one of my big pet hates so now I just wash and dry the comforter and throw it back on the bed! Brilliant. No more struggling to get the cover on the duvet!!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheThornes
I'm a comforter convert! Gradually replacing our duvets for comforters. Putting covers on duvets was always one of my big pet hates so now I just wash and dry the comforter and throw it back on the bed! Brilliant. No more struggling to get the cover on the duvet!!
Me too - another convert to multiple layers. We haven't even dug out our (lovely but far too bloody hot) duver this winter.

I'm even a fan of the whole top sheet/bottom sheet thing now. When we first arrived (hotel and B&B), it was one constantly tangled mess. But I'm a tidier sleeper now.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I'm even a fan of the whole top sheet/bottom sheet thing now. When we first arrived (hotel and B&B), it was one constantly tangled mess. But I'm a tidier sleeper now.
Haha! I just cannot get to grips with having a top sheet at all. When we ran our B&B all the guests had to suffer that arrangement but we always just used duvets on our family beds. If/when I stay elsewhere I wake up in the middle of the night in a cocoon - I can't stand it!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

hmm i just went to the bay and picked up a decent NZ wool duvet... in and out in about 20 minutes
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:26 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I know Ikea have tog ratings.

I love the comforter in a bag thing, like MMC it allows me to change the colour scheme on a whim. I always buy coordinating top sheets that go on the bed, under the comforter, change the sheets weekly as normal that way the comforter is not in the wash every other week.
I find scattering multi coloured clothes over the floor changes the colour scheme quite effectively.c
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ailsa n Dave
Ummm - OK landed a couple of days ago and are still finding our feet. We have a furnished rental home, but we wanted to get our own bedding... easy right? Um WRONG!!!

WTF is the deal with duvets here...? We just wanted a nice heavy maybe 13.5 tog king size...

But they only seam to have bed in a box sets with comforters? The comforter looks like a duvet that is patterned/precovered? and there was nothing we could see that indicated the weight!

Do you just buy a comforter and wash the whole thing in the giant size washing machine? Is there no normal white duvets, then you buy a cover?? They seam to do this for pillows, but not duvets??

Help from the experts please!!!

Bed in a bag from Walmart, they also sell duvets and some covers.
Also try JYSK, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Winners Homesense and of course IKEA for either of the above.

The bed in a bag with comforter, I am converted to using the comforters, they are just as warm (my opinion) and I don't have to fight with the duvet and cover to put the cover on!!!!!!!

Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:49 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you, when you first go and look it seems like all there is is a sea of comforters and nothing else.
Bouclair is a store that we have here in NS, not sure if you would have it there but they have a great range of duvet covers!
They feel a bit like Next Home to me
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

I think Comforters are great for kids, they are easily washed (yes the washing machines are big enough to take all sizes) I have been known to put a comforter inside a duvet cover, they fit OK....but ya best bet as others have said for duvets and covers is Ikea, they have all the togs thickness's and the duvet covers are around $10, they have come down in price over the last few years, take a trip to the US, they are lots cheaper in the US Ikea's!!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:28 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

As said above, can't go wrong with Ikea....they've every choice of tog, filling and outer. Cheap enough and mine even fits in the 1950's style top loading washer.

By the way, how did the chap with the gorgeous eyes cope with the flight? (your dog, not Dave although I hope he coped too of course!).

Oh, and welcome to Canada....may your new life be a fab one!

Last edited by Dotty P; Mar 10th 2013 at 3:49 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette
The bed in a bag with comforter, I am converted to using the comforters, they are just as warm (my opinion)
Helped by the fact that the house in Canada is probably warmer because it has to be.

We have plenty of alternatives but the comforter I use right now, the stuff inside has become compressed and 'missing' in parts. It's mostly more like nothing but the cover and it's plenty warm enough.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BristolUK;10595296]Helped by the fact that the house in Canada is probably warmer because it has to be.

Agree with you BristolUK
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:41 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What's that sheet at the bottom of the bed of for? Not only is it not thick enough to keep your feet warm but you take off at night and have to put it back on in the morning for some reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.