Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Drug addiction in the UK

Drug addiction in the UK

Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:15 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drug addiction in the UK

Originally Posted by kt0157
These kids aren't victims of drugs. They are victims of bad parenting. I can be a bad parent without going anywhere near illegal drugs. I can be an alcoholic, smoke 100 cigs a day and give my kid asthma, I can rot my brain sniffing glue, and then bray the kids with a baseball bat. The alcohol, cigs, glue and baseball bats aren't illegal, so why should making some drugs illegal help maltreated kids?

K.
Bad parenting can be corrected. A dead mother can't be.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i disagree i'm afraid and anyway the above is contradictory. drugs do harm other people, by the very health risks you describe, with discarded needles for instance. i suffered a needle stick, even though i was wearing gloves and asked the person if he had a needle which he assured me he didn't. several weeks waiting for aids and hep c results had somewhat of an effect on me and my family life.
the black market as you put it is not the issue, the demand for certain drugs invariably, in some cases, outstrips the ability to pay for it, its this that leads to criminal acts in order to fund it, whether you can buy your drugs on the corner, or the store on the corner, if you havn't the money, the need is such that you will find it somewhere no matter what, to make that purchase.
All this from a joint?
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:22 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one. Conflating burglary (which does have victims) with drug taking (which doesn't). The analogy is completely bogus. You think that dbd33, by puffing the odd bit of weed, is somehow going round to his neighbour and stealing his TV? If I take alcohol, which is demonstrably harmful and addictive to certain people, I'm somehow causing misery to my my community? The act of drinking it causes a plasma TV to be stolen in some kind of bizarre butterfly effect?

K.
i would say that the victims of drug abuse are the poor people who find themselves in an endless cycle of crime and abject misery due to their abuse of drugs and are either physically or mentally to weak to drag themselves out of it. the families of deceased victims of drug abuse. the victims of related crime, caused only by abusers needing money to buy drugs-further victims. its the acceptance of an illegal act, no matter how morally reprehensible you find it, as o.k. i can't accept.
don't quite get the last bit. what i would say is that alcohol fuels crime as much as drugs and i didn't advocate its misuse.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i disagree i'm afraid and anyway the above is contradictory. drugs do harm other people, by the very health risks you describe, with discarded needles for instance. i suffered a needle stick, even though i was wearing gloves and asked the person if he had a needle which he assured me he didn't. several weeks waiting for aids and hep c results had somewhat of an effect on me and my family life.
And how much of that is the effects of making it illegal? Why are these diseases so common among drug users? Shared needles. And why do they share needles? Because getting needles has been restricted, forcing you into contact with the legal system, something to be avoided.

the black market as you put it is not the issue, the demand for certain drugs invariably, in some cases, outstrips the ability to pay for it, its this that leads to criminal acts in order to fund it, whether you can buy your drugs on the corner, or the store on the corner, if you havn't the money, the need is such that you will find it somewhere no matter what, to make that purchase.
I'm sure if you gave a contract to AstraZenica to make the stuff it wouldn't be expensive. In fact, the Dutch Government currently pay about $10 for a gram of diamorphine. It wouldn't cost more than $100/month to fund a habit. If someone can't afford that, then some charity could give it away on the street in Heroin Kitchens.

Oh, and AstraZenica stuff wouldn't be contaminated. No carcinogenic additives (unlike a nasty batch of stuff in the UK right now). There you go: no crime required to pay for it, and reduced risk of cancer. Sorted.

K.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:24 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Something really impressive about Canada, btw, is the weed distribution system; even on a lake in a forest in the middle of Newfoundland some guy whizzed up on a trike offering a bag. It's a lot better than the pizza distribution system, though one might expect them to go hand in hand.
i much prefer these posts from you instead of the ones demanding LINKS, you almost make it sound appealing even to me.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Bad parenting can be corrected. A dead mother can't be.
What's that got to do with drugs?

K.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:26 pm
rae
Settled.

No, not many people do. But gambling, alcohol and tobacco addiction can and do wreck lives but I don't see the Home Office rushing to outlaw those. By making gambling (for example) legal it's possible to regulate it to a level where the extreme forms of harm can be limited. By making it illegal, you can't. We should learn this lesson and legalize (then regulate) the supply of drugs.

K.
again contradictory, yes they wreck lives, yes its legal, so legalising it hasn't made a jot of difference.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:28 pm
rae
Settled.

All this from a joint?
its whether you accept there is a link between soft and harder drug use.
have to go, my deals havn't provided the income for peak hour AOL, and simply can't keep up with KT whatisname who must have some amphet.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:29 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

What's that got to do with drugs?

K.
Eloquent though you are, I wonder that you can be so obtuse. I shall say no more as the snow ploughs have been and I must go to work. I have drug addicted parents to speak to about how their predicaments have nothing to do with their voluntary use of drugs.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rae
i would say that the victims of drug abuse are the poor people who find themselves in an endless cycle of crime and abject misery due to their abuse of drugs and are either physically or mentally to weak to drag themselves out of it.
Absolutely. Gambling and alcohol do the same thing.

the families of deceased victims of drug abuse.
How much of the health risk comes from the drugs, and how much from the illegality?

the victims of related crime, caused only by abusers needing money to buy drugs-further victims.
.. caused entirely by prohibition.

its the acceptance of an illegal act, no matter how morally reprehensible you find it, as o.k. i can't accept.
The law and moral behavior aren't the same thing. There are immoral things that are legal (e.g. adultery), and immoral laws (e.g. in New Zealand until 1986 it was illegal to be gay). Prohibition of drugs makes the situation worse and is an arbitrary infringement of the freedom of individuals. I therefore class this as an immoral law.

K.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:31 pm
rae
Settled.

And how much of that is the effects of making it illegal? Why are these diseases so common among drug users? Shared needles. And why do they share needles? Because getting needles has been restricted, forcing you into contact with the legal system, something to be avoided.
K.
not true, 2 needle exchanges in my area, take in as many needles as you like to dispose of and receive a virtually unlimited amount in return, for free.
a fantastic place by the way to wait and catch people wanted for a variety of offences
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
its whether you accept there is a link between soft and harder drug use.
Obviously, I don't. One can say that all users of meth smoked weed but then one can say that all college professors smoked weed; the effect is not causal. Since marijuana is the biggest cash crop in BC and Ontario I think the government should tax the production; the potential revenue is better than that from taxing booze and cigarettes.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rae
again contradictory, yes they wreck lives, yes its legal, so legalising it hasn't made a jot of difference.
Has to me. I can sip a chilled glass of Sancerre when I want.

K.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rae
and simply can't keep up with KT whatisname who must have some amphet.
Oh I wish. All I've got is a a big bag of coffee beans and a machine that can make super strong espresso.

K.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Obviously, I don't. One can say that all users of meth smoked weed but then one can say that all college professors smoked weed; the effect is not causal. Since marijuana is the biggest cash crop in BC and Ontario I think the government should tax the production; the potential revenue is better than that from taxing booze and cigarettes.
Bet it makes more money than lumber, too. That would be one in the eye for the Excited States: "Well, we would have been growing trees instead, but someone not a million miles from here made that uneconomic..".

K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.