Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving record - the where and how PLEASE?!?

Driving record - the where and how PLEASE?!?

Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Antstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really nice
Default Driving record - the where and how PLEASE?!?

Hi all,

I'm moving to Calgary in August having accepted a job in March and I'm panicking trying to sort everything out (only 4 weeks to go ). One thing I keep being told to bring is a driving record/reference, I assume just a piece of paper saying that I've been a good boy and haven't incurred any points but does anyone know how you obtain this information? Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated, even Google has let me down on this one but I know one of you guys will have the answer!!

Thank you.........
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:51 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation
Default Re: Driving record - the where and how PLEASE?!?

Originally Posted by Antstar
Hi all,

I'm moving to Calgary in August having accepted a job in March and I'm panicking trying to sort everything out (only 4 weeks to go ). One thing I keep being told to bring is a driving record/reference, I assume just a piece of paper saying that I've been a good boy and haven't incurred any points but does anyone know how you obtain this information? Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated, even Google has let me down on this one but I know one of you guys will have the answer!!

Thank you.........
I sent the following to my insurer and after several attempts finally got something back from them which was accepted in Canada. It is hard work and you might have to keep asking as British insurers like nothing more than ignoring your request and prefer to send out a standard letter which doesn't cut it in Canada.

RE: Request for non-standard Proof of No Claims Letter

Policy No XXXXXX

I am writing to you today to ask if you can provide me with a non-standard Proof of No Claims Letter. I will soon be emigrating to Ontario, Canada, and in order for me transfer my No Claims Bonus to a Canadian insurer, I require a letter which is different to a standard British proof of no claims letter.

Please note, at this stage, I do not want to cancel my insurance, I will notify you once I know when this needs doing.

This non-standard letter, printed on letter-headed paper, must include the following information:

• The Policy Number I held with you.
• The date my Motor Insurance Policy with you started.
• Description of insurance held - Comprehensive
• A sentence explaining that I made no claims during this time.
• Total number of years for which no claims were made. This needs to be stated as number of years of claim free driving, not as no claims discount which is not recognised in Canada.
• If you could also mention that my husband Mr xxxxx was also insured during this period as a named driver.

Please can you send three original copies of the letter to my address?

Yours sincerely,

xxxxxxx

Hope this helps
Good luck
Jane
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:52 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

My policy was with Direct Line so I sent them a letter asking for specific details:
  • How long I had been with them (ask to give specific dates)
  • How long I had accident-free driving and no claims on my policy

If you get insurance through a broker then you need to approach the company that issued the policy not the broker.

We shopped around for car insurance over here. Several companies said they they did not recognise UK driving history but 2 others did. The difference in quotes was $950 for recognised UK driving history to $2700 for not recognising UK driving history. Shop around, for sure
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

bigbob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi We got ours through DVLA in UK. just wrote to them asking for a record of our driving record for immigration purposes, you can get the information from their web site. i think it cost £10. our insurance company accepted it as the same as the Alberta drivers extract. it will either show clear or list any driving convictions etc. hope that help. regards Bob
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Antstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really nice

Thanks guys this was driving me (no pun intended) nuts!! Much appreciated.......

I'll let you know how it goes, I'll try the DVLA and my insurance company and keep my fingers crossed!!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Spoke to the DVLA and a print out can be obtained for £5 - job done! Thanks all....Now just got to get confirmation of my no claims from my insurance company!!