Reload this Page >

Driving liscences??????

Driving liscences??????

Old May 24th 2009, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Special1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Driving liscences??????

Hi,

I've been in BC for just under 2 months and just skimming the above messages.

OMG: I didn't realise they can take your UK licence away from you if you fail your test here!

I'm quite dreading doing the test.
I have the book but not looked at it and I attempted the online practice theory test - I narrowly failed - I found some of the terminology is different (its in Canadian!). I will read/study the book and hope this will assist.

Im thinking of taking some driving lessons so I get used to road and driving on the right hand side.
Did anyone bother doing this?
How long did it take to get used to driving on the right? Will I need many lessons?

I didn't drive that much in the UK, maybe thats a good thing so I don't have (m)any driving habits.

How long did it take to book for the practical test and any tips for it please?

PS: I swear that when I do get a car I will need to put a note on the dashboard to remind myself to stick to the right!!!

Advices appreciated.
Many thanx,
S
Old May 24th 2009, 1:02 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving liscences??????

Driving on the right-hand side isn't so bad because as the driver you also sit on the opposite side of the car too. This means, as the driver, you should always be closer to the centre line and NEVER nearest to the kerb - the same as the UK.

After being here 2 years, I returned to the UK for 8 days and felt THEY were driving on the wrong side of the road . I drove for daily for over 20 years in the UK.

Here is a fantastic website for all Canadian provinces driver's handbooks and associated info:

http://www.drivershandbook.com/topic/2/
Old May 24th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

i found it really simple to switch, just took a day for my brain to adjust, found it hard to drive and navigate at the same time. after about a month i could do both easily so knew i'd fully adjusted to the other side

it is only at certain junctions where my brain still freeze's and i'd have to check where i should go.

there are a couple of roads here that when you drive down they split and every time i still think its sending me on to the on coming traffic and i go down it twice a day lol.

its just remembering the traffic lights are up in the sky.
but its very straight forward. most of the signs make sense and learn what the different road markings are as they are different from the uk
Old May 24th 2009, 6:35 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Special1
Hi,

I've been in BC for just under 2 months and just skimming the above messages.

OMG: I didn't realise they can take your UK licence away from you if you fail your test here!

I'm quite dreading doing the test.
I have the book but not looked at it and I attempted the online practice theory test - I narrowly failed - I found some of the terminology is different (its in Canadian!). I will read/study the book and hope this will assist.

Im thinking of taking some driving lessons so I get used to road and driving on the right hand side.
Did anyone bother doing this?
How long did it take to get used to driving on the right? Will I need many lessons?

I didn't drive that much in the UK, maybe thats a good thing so I don't have (m)any driving habits.

How long did it take to book for the practical test and any tips for it please?

PS: I swear that when I do get a car I will need to put a note on the dashboard to remind myself to stick to the right!!!

Advices appreciated.
Many thanx,
S
Remember you only have ninety days from establishing residency to take your test...hurry up.....
Old May 24th 2009, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Special1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

Thank U for everyone's comments.

I have been advised that I can drive here with my UK licence, for 3 months after landing.
However, there is no such deadline to take the theory and the practical test.
The only difference, is that after the 3 months, if I want to drive, I may need to be accompanied.

Please could someone elaborate & clarify about any deadlines.

Many thanx,
S
Old May 24th 2009, 9:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Special1
Hiya,

Thank U for everyone's comments.

I have been advised that I can drive here with my UK licence, for 3 months after landing.
That is right.

However, there is no such deadline to take the theory and the practical test.
That is right, you don't HAVE to take the theory and road test within 3 months. It is just that your UK license is no longer valid.

The only difference, is that after the 3 months, if I want to drive, I may need to be accompanied.
I am pretty sure this is not correct. To quote ICBC:

After 90 days, you can no longer legally drive in B.C. using your out-of-province driver’s licence.

After 90 days you need to pass the knowledge test and then you will be issued with a learner's license. You can drive using this license if you are accompanied by a qualified driver.

This is all important for insurance. If you are driving without a valid license you will not be insured. If you are involved in an accident you will be liable for the costs, and if someone is injured these can be ruinous.