Reload this Page >

Driving Licence in NS

Driving Licence in NS

Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:27 am
Just Joined

262kph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence in NS

Hi,

We are already to move to Nova Scotia other than we cannot sell our house.
We have decided to give it till August and then come over and start to get everything in place for when the house does finally sell and we can leave GB behind for good.

We are thinking of coming over for 3 months but have a few questions about driving.
We want to do our proper driving licence in this time but how does it work if you are living in rented accommodation in NS. Is that still ok or do you have to have a permanent address?
Also how does it work for leasing a car, rather than renting from someone like Hertz, Enterprise or Avis?

Thanks for any help.....
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence in NS

Rented accommodation is a permanent address until you choose to move. Some people rent their whole lives.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:44 am
Banned

mrshamster is a jewel in the roughmrshamster is a jewel in the roughmrshamster is a jewel in the roughmrshamster is a jewel in the roughmrshamster is a jewel in the rough

no prob re home rental

leasing is almost impossible to find in the short term most agreements are for 2 years

I would suggest you buy a cheap second hand vehicle and believe me they are cheap here!! you could get something for $1500 ( £750) and if you go to the right place it could last you a couple of years or more.
It would pay for it self anyway in less than 2 months even if it did conk out on you.
Repairs are also ridiculously cheap anyway scrap yards are full of parts if you buy the right car eg dodge, ford, pontiac etc
renting is exepensive in the region of $800 a month for the most basic.
all above applicable outside of the Halifax area of course where everything is so much cheaper
good luck!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

We took our tests when in rented accommodation, I passed my test a couple of days before we moved - I explained this to them and they put the new address on the licence. Our ID cards (arranged at the same place) had our rented address on - you just tell them when you move and they print you off 'official' stickers to put on the cards - no problem at all.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

262kph is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the answers people, that helps Do they have cheap car dealers around Halifax, that sell half decent cars, or is it a better idea to buy from the classifieds in the paper?