Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence Issues with Supervisa

Driving Licence Issues with Supervisa

Old Dec 31st 2013, 3:16 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Supervisa and BC Drivers Licence Exchange

Hi there,
Have just arrived and found, much to my surprise, that the driving license/supervisa issue and exchanging licenses for a BC one still hasn't been resolved, at least not where we are (Langley).
Does anyone have a definitive answer to what doc ICBC need to issue a BC license.
Dave_J
Old Dec 31st 2013, 3:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Supervisa and BC Drivers Licence exchange?

Originally Posted by dave_j
Hi there,
Have just arrived and found, much to my surprise, that the driving license/supervisa issue and exchanging licenses for a BC one still hasn't been resolved, at least not where we are (Langley).
Does anyone have a definitive answer to what doc ICBC need to issue a BC license.
Dave_J
The thread you posted to was an old one and so I have moved your post to a thread of it's own. It's always better to start your own thread.

As to the SV / Drivers licence, you should have obtained a Visitor Record on entry and can obtain the drivers licence using that.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...e/accepted-id#

Old Dec 31st 2013, 3:48 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Driving Licence Issues with Supervisa

I know that one thread was started a few years ago about this, but the Supervisa has been up and running for some time now and I'm asking for help from those who've encountered the problem and how they managed to resolve it.
The issue concerns the limit of 6 months placed on the use of UK driving licences and the inability to obtain an exchange BC one.
I arrived at YVR two weeks ago for a stay of two years. Yesterday I visited a BC licence centre and was told that I was unable to change my UK original for BC licence because all I had was the 'Supervisa Letter of Invitation' and this was insufficient.
An earlier thread suggests that I should have obtained a 'Visitor Record' at the POE but this was not offered nor was I aware of it's existance nor do I know what it does or looks like. The same thread suggests that an IMM1442 should be obtained, but the matter was left hanging.
There must have been many other people who have found themselves in this situation. If you fall into this category, or know someone who has, I would be most grateful if you could pass the knowledge onto me.
If you live in the Langley area, would most like to meet and discuss this with you.
It seems unreasonable to me to open the door for two years and then stop you driving.
On the other hand, as a visitor, would a short trip across the border reset the 6 month clock for the UK licence?
Many thanks in anticipation of assistance
Old Dec 31st 2013, 3:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence Issues with Supervisa

I know that one thread was started a few years ago about this, but the Supervisa has been up and running for some time now and I'm asking for help from those who've encountered the problem and how they managed to resolve it.
The issue concerns the limit of 6 months placed on the use of UK driving licences and the inability to obtain an exchange BC one.
I arrived at YVR two weeks ago for a stay of two years. Yesterday I visited a BC licence centre and was told that I was unable to change my UK original for BC licence because all I had was the 'Supervisa Letter of Invitation' and this was insufficient.
An earlier thread suggests that I should have obtained a 'Visitor Record' at the POE but this was not offered nor was I aware of it's existance nor do I know what it does or looks like. The same thread suggests that an IMM1442 should be obtained, but the matter was left hanging.
There must have been many other people who have found themselves in this situation. If you fall into this category, or know someone who has, I would be most grateful if you could pass the knowledge onto me.
If you live in the Langley area, would most like to meet and discuss this with you.
It seems unreasonable to me to open the door for two years and then stop you driving.
On the other hand, as a visitor, would a short trip across the border reset the 6 month clock for the UK licence?
Many thanks in anticipation of assistance
You have already posted about this in a separate thread and so I will combine your two threads together.

Yes, you should have obtained a visitor record - the easiest way for you to remedy this would be to go to the border and ask them to issue you with one. Take a copy of your Supervisa and request one.

Old Dec 31st 2013, 5:10 pm
Listen to the Music

Many thanks Siouxie, will certainly try that.
Plan is to approach the Aldergrove officials first for help/advice and then Peace Arch/YVR. Do you know if CBSA at YVR will meet with enquiries on the 'landward' side of the airport?
Thabnks again
Dave_J
Old Dec 31st 2013, 5:22 pm
Banned

Many thanks Siouxie, will certainly try that.
Plan is to approach the Aldergrove officials first for help/advice and then Peace Arch/YVR. Do you know if CBSA at YVR will meet with enquiries on the 'landward' side of the airport?
Thabnks again
Dave_J
You are most welcome.

I don't believe it is possible to make an enquiry on the landward side of an airport, you would need to go to the border. I would suggest perhaps a day trip over to the US for some lunch or shopping and then request it on the return into Canada.

Old Dec 31st 2013, 9:09 pm
Listen to the Music

Thanks again,
We visited Aldergrove crossing today and explained the situation.
The officers there were extremely helpful but somewhat annoyed.
In their opinion ICBC should have issued licences given the two year passport stamps.
However, they issued us with the 'Visitor Record' documents at no cost to us. They did explain that it would incur a cost to them and when we left they were adamant that ICBC would be hearing from them.
The advice to visit a border crossing was good and since it wasn't our original POE it seems that any crossing will do, although they did explain that they didn't normally issue it.
We have yet to exchange our licences at ICBC but anticipate that this will now be a formality.
As this scheme has been in operation for two years or so I have to say that it must have been a nightmare for those who chose enter using it in the early days. It exemplified a not very well planned or thought through policy.
We will update in a week or two.
Dave_J
Old Jan 1st 2014, 12:08 am
Listen to the Music

As anaddendum, I have just received this reply from ICBC:

Dear David,

Thank you for your email dated December 30, 2013.

The legislation for visitors is as follows: Non-resident drivers, such as tourists and non-resident workers, can drive on their valid out-of-province driver's licence for up to 6 months from the date they last entered the province. The 6-month time period applies to all non-resident drivers, including those who may also have an international driving permit. So if you leave the province for even one day your six month time frame resets. You may start the licensing process if you have been issued a Visitor Visa from Immigration Canada; please be advised we cannot accept a stamped passport as the Visitor Visa. Also here is the link for a list of acceptable identification.

What this apparently means is that if you have an issue obtaining a BC licence and you live near the border then you can drive on your UK licence indefinitely provided that you enter and leave the US once every 6 months.
Note that they endorse the advice we received that passport stamps are inadmissable as identification.
Dave_J
Old Jan 1st 2014, 1:54 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Keep their reply safe. You may need it sometime in the future.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Keep their reply safe. You may need it sometime in the future.
And a photocopy in the car.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 3:01 pm
Listen to the Music

Many thanks Martin,
Not a lot of confidence expressed in ICBC on this forum....
Will do.
Dave_J
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Realised not updated the original forum post
We waited the 6 months (5 1/2) for a cannot process response after I'd been advised offically that was the way forward.

Ultimately we did an early renewal of the supervisa which came with the proper documentation, a nice colourful IMM 1442, fortunately we were not required to purchase a fresh year of medical insurance. As we were 8 - 9 months in on visa we thought a flagpole would require renewal of the 1 year minimum med insurance at 'each entry' into Canada would be required, so did an early renewal to avoid that, it was quite straightforward that way and processing was around 2 months