Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving History

Driving History

Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future
Default Driving History

Hi All

Could anybody help me with regards to the DVLA and car insurance.

I've read on other threads that people have requested a copy of their driving history from the DVLA to show insurance people in Canada (Ontario specifically).

Well I've just tried to phone the DVLA to request somethime to this effect and I had no luck. Can anybody tell me specifically what form I should be asking for? They seemed to think my counterpart Driving Licence should be enough but I'm not convinced.

Thanks very much

Alex
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving History

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472501

think this will answer your questions

costs £5, arrives next day.
i had no problems requesting on the normal DVLA help line, they gave me those details. guess you spoke to a lemon.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:34 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ernie_wise
Hi All

Could anybody help me with regards to the DVLA and car insurance.

I've read on other threads that people have requested a copy of their driving history from the DVLA to show insurance people in Canada (Ontario specifically).

Well I've just tried to phone the DVLA to request somethime to this effect and I had no luck. Can anybody tell me specifically what form I should be asking for? They seemed to think my counterpart Driving Licence should be enough but I'm not convinced.

Thanks very much

Alex
To get discounts on insurance you will need to be able to demonstrate your claims free history (or not as the case may be). We brought previous renewal notices, and letters from our insurers going back 10 years. This got us a discount right away. If there is a break, this is as far back as they will accept the claims history. Ontario insurers may be different, but then having too many papers is better than not having the right ones. If I could have gone back another 5 years I would have got even more off.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future

Hi

Yep I'm trying to do that at the moment although Admiral are insisting that I have to cancel the insurance before I get the no claims history. Saying that, I'm only 24 and I've only had my own insurance for a year and a half so I'm fully braced for a big hit. I've gotta do it as I've got a commute to work in the morning.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ernie_wise
Hi

Yep I'm trying to do that at the moment although Admiral are insisting that I have to cancel the insurance before I get the no claims history. Saying that, I'm only 24 and I've only had my own insurance for a year and a half so I'm fully braced for a big hit. I've gotta do it as I've got a commute to work in the morning.
We didn't bother with dvla as oh had points on his license, we just waited till we swaped them for alberta ones with no points
as for insurance we got a letter from the Uk before ours expired, just a letter with the number of years on. this allowed us the full no claims over here so the insurance for our 03 suv is under $1k
jo