Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Don't Trash the UK!

Don't Trash the UK!

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

londonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Chistmas

Of course you are entitled to your opinion as am I entitled to mine. It doesn't bother me at all that you post on here. In fact its been a lively and interesting debate.

Its been emotive

see ya
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Well we had our murder here in Fredericton last week (NB has about three murders a year). The murders all seem to be crimes of passion with the murderers often committing suicide. Last the one last week. The RCMP found him dead in his car in Moncton.

I think you will find that knife crime and major crimes are committed mainly in larger cities such as Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

Crime in our area is very low and we rarely lock our door. While we were out the delivery guy dropped off our central vacuum into the garage and then shut the door behind him.
I agree with all that you say.
But we did have Dupree (prob spelled wrong), who chopped up his elderly neighbours with a chainsaw.

But then nutters pop everywhere from time to time.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:13 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirstya
ok got to answer this ...

We live in Luton (yes a complete and utter hell hole) we live in a cluster of houses converted to flats , and are the only native English speakers out of the 12 flats clustered here.. So far this year someone the OH worked with was killed in a road rage attack , someone 5 doors down the road was murdered in there own house and we witness on our doorstep 2 stabbings ... But this still doesnt stop me from loving England .. As someone else stated its like a devorce that went wrong , ok well for others its still there first love , you always leave a little bit of your heart with them...

We have lived all over the UK and got family all over the world and relise one place is pretty much the same as another , its what you make of it that matters .. Now this is when everyone goes what the hell you moving to canada for , well there are some things that UK doesnt offer, also for the great adventure and fun of it all, we are still young so whats with seeing a little more of the world and what it can offer us, and who knows we may love it in Canada more than England, but that doesnt mean i will slag it off and turn my back on it...

PS sorry for my spelling being a little thick today.
Somebody that lives in a village nr.Amersham is so far removed from all of this and will probably never see any of this, unless they travel outside of their comfort zone and venture into the dark and gloomy places that Luton has to offer In fact their only reason for ever going to Luton, could well be just to pick up a flight to some exotic location in Europe or further afield.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
I cannot for the life of me comprehend anyone immigrating to canada or even considering it
if they do not absolutley love canada and all that it is ,both good and perhaps a little behind the times in the nicest possible ways!

If you feel postive about the Uk and wish to defend it then why on earth are you consdiering becoming canadian????

If you come to canada then your heart and sole should be canadian should it not?
I don't think this holds at all. If you're mildly interested in seeing Canada you might want to go there. If you get the chance of a promotion at work at the promotion entails moving to Canada you might want to go there. If you get fed up with the monoculture in the UK and want to try somewhere with a really diverse population, somewhere that you'll be the minority, you might want to go to Canada. There's no need to have any particularly strong feelings about Canada, indeed it'd be pretty peculiar to hold such feelings about a place defined by its lack of identity.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Somebody that lives in a village nr.Amersham is so far removed from all of this and will probably never see any of this, unless they travel outside of their comfort zone and venture into the dark and gloomy places that Luton has to offer In fact their only reason for ever going to Luton, could well be just to pick up a flight to some exotic location in Europe or further afield.

Bollocks. Amersham is on the tube. It's not in Alaska.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:19 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Bollocks. Amersham is on the tube. It's not in Alaska.
So crime can easily commute there as well Oh dear! maybe Amersham is not all wine and roses after all
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this holds at all. If you're mildly interested in seeing Canada you might want to go there. If you get the chance of a promotion at work at the promotion entails moving to Canada you might want to go there. If you get fed up with the monoculture in the UK and want to try somewhere with a really diverse population, somewhere that you'll be the minority, you might want to go to Canada. There's no need to have any particularly strong feelings about Canada, indeed it'd be pretty peculiar to hold such feelings about a place defined by its lack of identity.
Totally agree. I didn't move to Canada because I loved the place in fact I'd never even been to Canada before I moved. I moved to Montreal with my OH at the age of 25, he had left Canada at the age of 14 and had always wanted to go "home" and so after a few beers one night I thought it sounded like a good idea.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And local taxes can be spread over 10 months instead of having to be paid in one go .
Thats because they are so expensive!!!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

There's no need to have any particularly strong feelings about Canada, indeed it'd be pretty peculiar to hold such feelings about a place defined by its lack of identity.

That's the attraction about Canada. It's under the radar like Scandanavian countries. No empire baggage like the UK or world domination baggage like the US.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:48 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by flashman
That's the attraction about Canada. It's under the radar like Scandanavian countries. No empire baggage like the UK or world domination baggage like the US.
Thats largely my attraction for Canada as well. Its lack of national identity which is very far removed from that of the USA.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Ruby Murray;

then i would suggest you return to the UK, may i ask where & what did you do for a living also what type of house did you live in when in the UK
Believe me if I could, I would!! I'm stuck here with a massive mortgage round my neck and now, like everywhere else at the moment, house prices have taken a dip!! And since we only bought the blasted thing last year, we currently owe more than it's worth. So no, going home for me right now is not on the cards unfortunately. Why do you ask about my origins, work and house from the UK? What has that got to do in all this? But for the sake of it, I will include that a/. Hyde, Cheshire. b/. I work in Admin. c/. We had a link detached house. There, but I still don't understand why you want to know these things!!

Last edited by Ruby Murray; Nov 3rd 2008 at 2:12 pm. Reason: Couldn't be bothered being awkward!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:58 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

I lay into you because you post a load of bollocks. Not because I'm unduly sensitive.

That made me smile.....
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:09 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
My husband works in central London every day (as I did for many years) and even he says he's not seen it (people are still polite on the tube, wait their turn and give up seats for the most part). You've only got to compare the pushing and shoving that comes with public transport in most other cities around the world to realise how polite the Brits still are. Granted, he hears a few more Polish voices than a few years ago but is that so horrendous?
I wasn't going to get involved in this, but Christmasoompa, as you can see I have heavily edited your post down to my point of contention - because this is the one thing that irks me every time I arrive in the UK. From the airport onwards, it's how rude everyone is. Now you may think I've just been unlucky, but I go back so frequently I don't believe so. Just getting out of the airport is a challenge, and from then on it's like every man for himself, to the point where I have even been "nudged" by a car while on a crosswalk because I didn't move fast enough! I am not tarring everyone with the same brush, there are some very mannerly people, mainly the older folk, but few and far between. Shopping areas are horrendous for pushing and shoving, and the rudeness of the clerks is astounding. I am always glad to get back to Vancouver where it's like the league of nations and in the main, polite.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:19 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Originally Posted by startwin
I wasn't going to get involved in this, but Christmasoompa, as you can see I have heavily edited your post down to my point of contention - because this is the one thing that irks me every time I arrive in the UK. From the airport onwards, it's how rude everyone is. Now you may think I've just been unlucky, but I go back so frequently I don't believe so. Just getting out of the airport is a challenge, and from then on it's like every man for himself, to the point where I have even been "nudged" by a car while on a crosswalk because I didn't move fast enough! I am not tarring everyone with the same brush, there are some very mannerly people, mainly the older folk, but few and far between. Shopping areas are horrendous for pushing and shoving, and the rudeness of the clerks is astounding. I am always glad to get back to Vancouver where it's like the league of nations and in the main, polite.

I find the folk in Australia much more rude and unfriendly than the Brits back home...try smiling when you get back...that might help
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by Obancop
Nice title for a thread here, eh?
The U.K., the "United" Kingdom...
well I am the rat who left the sinking ship, I saw it coming years ago.
Yes I plan going back on holiday and to fill my plot when the end does come,
jings that's morose!
The only reason I can see now for heading back for good is if the south is given its freedom back, we Scots have fed off the great southerners for to long.
there are parts of England I like, Lots of Wales too, I've never been to N.I. but the peolpe I've met from there have all been gems. i'm a Scot through and through, NOT british, and certainly NOT from the U.K.
it seems the world over you'll get the "but there's nothing to do here"
normally from the "entertain me" type with no imagination.
Back home I heard it from the kids, and a few parents too. I built a list of a good number of things and hit them with it, metaphoricaly speaking, though the temptation was always there to do it literally
Me? I left school at a time when Maggie had just raped the country, and I watched as the dope, then the "E"'s took hold, finaly came the smack, or skelp as we liked to call it, hit town. Then I knew no matter where in the world I went the kids would always be open to threats and offers such as that. Now I make the best of it where ever I am and try to make a difference in my job. in my line of work I find 1% of the populus hate me, 1% love me, and the other 98% don't even know who I am. As for that first lot, well I suppose I should care about them, but sometimes it's bloody hard.
Okay I digress.
Love the U.K., then you stay there!
Great post Couldn't agree more. Think I'll have my ashes scattered in Canada though, when the time comes, hopefully a long time from now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.