Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Domestic plumbing/gas work

Domestic plumbing/gas work

Old Sep 24th 2012, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

myatt123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Domestic plumbing/gas work

I am thinking of moving to Edmonton area with my friend as he is allready sorted for work in a different trade... wondering if there is much demand for domestic plumbing/heating/gas work out there? As i have searched on the internet and can only see commercial work :/ thanks, Tom.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic plumbing/gas work

Originally Posted by myatt123
I am thinking of moving to Edmonton area with my friend as he is allready sorted for work in a different trade... wondering if there is much demand for domestic plumbing/heating/gas work out there? As i have searched on the internet and can only see commercial work :/ thanks, Tom.
Presuming you are able to work - you hold a Temporary Work Permit, a Working Holiday Visa or are a Permanent Resident/Citizen, have you checked whether you need to have your qualifications authenticated?

Most Provinces require either Red Seal or certification for plumbing/gas fitting etc.

You can see which do (and see what jobs are around) here: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...atedOccupation

Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by myatt123
Plumbing and gas don't go together here the way they do in the UK. Most heating does not have water filled rads etc. The boiler does not heat the water it's usually a separate water heater.

This link will be helpful, you need to retrain.
http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/ne...Fact_Sheet.pdf
Heating, gas and oil tech furnace work is often seasonal too. September to January.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You would need a gas ticket from the provincial safety authority and a plumbing ticket from the provincial training authority. You would either have to prove 9000 hours of experience or re qualify. Your foreign qualification cannot be accredited in Canada, but your experience (so long as you can prove it) is worth something.

http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?#contact_

http://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/Conte...3085&SNT_ID=25

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 24th 2012 at 10:58 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

myatt123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks folks
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

Yes you need to get you red seal but its not easy at all pluming is a lot different here in Canada you need to know venting code fixture units, wells and sewerage fields that's just to start with money is good when you have experiance $35 to $42 and a lot of new condos use boilers now