Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to upgrade my daughter

How to upgrade my daughter

Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Mermaid2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to upgrade my daughter

Hi there, I need a consultation from the pioneers here, I have a girl born on January 2nd 2005.
Last year she was at year 2 and she was one of the top group in her school and her results was always above expected age.
we moved to Canada( halton district ) this year and instead of putting her in grade 3, she was placed in grade 2 as the cutt off date is 2 days earlier. I tried lots with the principle and the superintendent just to make an assessment tests for her
and they are insisting to refuse. I don't know what to do, do I have to contact the trustee or what? my kid starts to get bored from the
easy work she takes at school. I know that few families whose have simillar cases as mine succeeded to skip a grade for their children, I need your experience and a guide for me.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to upgrade my daughter

This info may help:

http://www.abcontario.ca/success-stories?start=4

http://www.hdsb.ca/Programs/SpecEdSt...tServices.aspx

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/parents/speced.html

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/general.../identifi.html

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mermaid2012
Hi there, I need a consultation from the pioneers here, I have a girl born on January 2nd 2005.
Last year she was at year 2 and she was one of the top group in her school and her results was always above expected age.
we moved to Canada( halton district ) this year and instead of putting her in grade 3, she was placed in grade 2 as the cutt off date is 2 days earlier. I tried lots with the principle and the superintendent just to make an assessment tests for her
and they are insisting to refuse. I don't know what to do, do I have to contact the trustee or what? my kid starts to get bored from the
easy work she takes at school. I know that few families whose have simillar cases as mine succeeded to skip a grade for their children, I need your experience and a guide for me.
We are also Halton District, my youngest son's birthday is the 10th January and he was scheduled for part time kindergarten when we moved here, after having completed a year of full time school in the UK. We didn't think a step back would be good for him so wanted to put him in Grade 1. I called a number of schools and was told that it was 'Board Policy' to place all students with in their birth year group. However, one Principal agreed with us and that is how we selected the school that our children would go to, and hence the area we live in. Added to the stress a bit because we had to find a rental property, and ultimately a home to buy in the school district, but it all worked out. He has just started High School - still a grade above his birth year but we have never had any problems at all.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:12 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help myself.
Daughter 2.0
Available on Iphone 5.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 5:31 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Can't help myself.
Daughter 2.0
Available on Iphone 5.
I was waiting for someone to post that!

Vancouver - no issue - walked in, spoke to head, looked at previous reports and curriculum covered and straight up a grade. In fact 2 grades in Spainish!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RICH
Can't help myself.
Daughter 2.0
Available on Iphone 5.
Haha beat me to it, just saw the thread title and smiled although i was going to say im not sure thats ethical
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Mermaid2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for you help.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

We are in Alberta and step son was a year ahead when he went and her is only average so it might seem your daughter is 18 months ahead but the headmaster would not hear of it. My son is the same age but we do a lot at home with him. There is not many bad things about Canada but schools fall behind Uk