Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dogs into Canada - conflicting advice - help!

Dogs into Canada - conflicting advice - help!

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs into Canada - conflicting advice - help!

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass

What do you mean "in transit and not landed"

Thanks!
When you change flights at an airport you are transiting. Many many animals change flights on their way from one country to another, just like us humans. As the dog is not being imported to Germany you should not need to conform to German import rules.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Additional Information

The import requirements also apply to dogs that were originally from Canada and are returning to Canada from a rabies-free country.

The import requirements also apply to dogs leaving a country that imposed quarantine, if the dog leaves before that quarantine period is completed.

Canada does not require a waiting period between the time the animal is vaccinated for rabies and the time the animal is imported into Canada.

There you go, confirmation that you don't even need to wait for any period of time after the rabies jab so strictly speaking you could have it done with the fit to fly certificate.

As for horses maybe there are different rules?

Also maybe you should check with German "defra" but you might find it doesn't apply if she remains in her crate and is just being moved from one plane to another?
Thanks - will do.

Why does she have to go via Frankfurt?
Because it's miles cheaper but at this rate I might not bother if they have different rules etc. See post below re the 30 day rule.

Pets
The Germans love their pets just as much as any other people, but they have a lot of rules concerning them.
If you wish to bring a cat or dog into Germany, the animal must have been vaccinated for rabies at least 30 days but no more than 12 months prior to its entry. Proof of examination must be presented at the border.
It is a European Union requirement that dogs and cats have an identification number, either on a clearly visible tattoo or as a microchip, and that this number corresponds to one on the proof of examination. (For travel between European Union countries, the pets must now have a passport, issued by a licensed veterinarian.)

Found this on a "german" website. So it really does depend on what is deemed to be her status in Germany for those 24hrs...
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. What a mare to sort. Might fly her direct at this rate.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. What a mare to sort. Might fly her direct at this rate.
Well, are you importing your dog to Germany or to Canada? Which is it?

German Embassy for UK info page:

http://www.london.diplo.de/Vertretun...erbereich.html

BTW - there is this thing out there called google. :-)
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Well, are you importing your dog to Germany or to Canada? Which is it?

German Embassy for UK info page:

http://www.london.diplo.de/Vertretun...erbereich.html

BTW - there is this thing out there called google. :-)
Yes I know there is this thing called Google and I thought I had it all sorted until I spoke to my vet this morning - hence the posts. What she said conflicted with what I thought I had to do... so it's the age old thing - do you go with what the vet says or an article on google? Hence why I wanted answers from people on here that had recently done it. There is method to my madness you know!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I know there is this thing called Google and I thought I had it all sorted until I spoke to my vet this morning - hence the posts. What she said conflicted with what I thought I had to do... so it's the age old thing - do you go with what the vet says or an article on google? Hence why I wanted answers from people on here that had recently done it. There is method to my madness you know!
You go with what the embassy say.

I had one shipping company, a canadian one, get back to me today thanking me for informing them of the new rule for horses starting jan 15 and they will now inform all their agents so they are kept up to speed. In other words, things change and it's hard to keep up so always check what the government say.

My vet for the cats didn't know about the new rule for small pets either.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

You go with what the embassy say.

I had one shipping company, a canadian one, get back to me today thanking me for informing them of the new rule for horses starting jan 15 and they will now inform all their agents so they are kept up to speed. In other words, things change and it's hard to keep up so always check what the government say.

My vet for the cats didn't know about the new rule for small pets either.
Exactly - it's hard to keep up so it's good to have reassurance from people who have recently done it and of course check the embassy sites.

Good luck with transporting your horse.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Exactly - it's hard to keep up so it's good to have reassurance from people who have recently done it and of course check the embassy sites.

Good luck with transporting your horse.
Thanks! So far I'm up in €6400 door-to-door and I *have* to use a freight agent. No DIY there.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks! So far I'm up in €6400 door-to-door and I *have* to use a freight agent. No DIY there.
Wow... that's a lot of money...
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow... that's a lot of money...
Yeah, well, to buy a horse like him I'd have to pay a lot more.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

How big is your dog? Size of a horse? I can't see why the dog would cost that much.
Mine cost £1200 whereas 3 of our flights cost about £1450 so pretty much the same too!!
You have to love those hairy buggers!!! lol
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mine cost £1200 whereas 3 of our flights cost about £1450 so pretty much the same too!!
You have to love those hairy buggers!!! lol

Are you guys using a shipping agent?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Are you guys using a shipping agent?
We did ours in August and had no choice but to use an agent as Thomas Cook won't allow DIY. Air Canada was pretty much the same cost for DIY and we would have had to travel much further to get o an airport...
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

We did ours in August and had no choice but to use an agent as Thomas Cook won't allow DIY. Air Canada was pretty much the same cost for DIY and we would have had to travel much further to get o an airport...
OUCH!

But they are worth it though.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

OUCH!

But they are worth it though.
Oh they are. We also now have a Newfoundland and I dread to think how much it would cost to transport 160lbs of dog across the Atlantic!!!!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh they are. We also now have a Newfoundland and I dread to think how much it would cost to transport 160lbs of dog across the Atlantic!!!!
Mine is 63lbs and the cost is bad enough. Could you not paint yours black and white and pretend it's a cow? would that be cheaper?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.