Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dogs into Canada - conflicting advice - help!

Dogs into Canada - conflicting advice - help!

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dogs into Canada - conflicting advice - help!

Hey

OK so I just rang my vet to double check that they hold the rabies vaccs in stock and that they can issue a pet passport there and then. The answer was yes.

My understanding is she doesn't need a pet passport if flying direct from UK to Canada but there is a chance she will fly via Frankfurt so getting one anyway and if we end up coming back she may need the passport anyway - no biggie.

Vet just said she needs blood tests 21 days after the rabies vaccs before she can fly out.... I thought that was to get her *back* into the UK. Not out....

I am running out of time because we might be setting off in a month!

Help! Does she need the bloods to get into Canada... ??I know she defo needs them to get back into the UK but not bothered about that for now.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs into Canada - conflicting advice - help!

Dogs in to Canada:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...i/canine.shtml

Dogs in to UK:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2011/12...vel-with-pets/
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

No, dog will not need blood test. We brought our dog over last September, no mention of blood test from anyone involved.
Good luck
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - those were the sites I have been using. Hence why I got so nervous when my vet said I had to get the bloods done before entering Canada. I am sure I don't. I know I will have to get her bloods done before we come back (if we do!)

It's just a big big hiccup to have if I get it wrong so wanted to double check with the other experts - ie you lot!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

My dog didn't have blood tests. She had the rabies injection about 3 weeks before she flew although the timescale wasn't even a stipulation. The vet and I just decided that it was best to be safe than sorry as it apparently takes about 3 weeks for the rabies jab to get properly into the system.
It's was so simple it was laughable.

Since Jan 1st you no longer need a pet passport to get into the UK, it's pretty much the same as getting into Canada now...
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GC44
No, dog will not need blood test. We brought our dog over last September, no mention of blood test from anyone involved.
Good luck
Thanks - I thought that was the case. I can calm down now!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DandNHill
My dog didn't have blood tests. She had the rabies injection about 3 weeks before she flew although the timescale wasn't even a stipulation. The vet and I just decided that it was best to be safe than sorry as it apparently takes about 3 weeks for the rabies jab to get properly into the system.
It's was so simple it was laughable.

Since Jan 1st you no longer need a pet passport to get into the UK, it's pretty much the same as getting into Canada now...
Thanks - yep that's what I thought - about 3 weeks before - still waiting on LMO so not getting it done til we get that through!

"So simple it was laughable" - now that's the sort of comments I like!

Re the pet passport - from my understanding they need them to fly between countries in Europe? hence me getting it in-case she does fly via Frankfurt? I'd rather just get one to relieve the stress levels!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Thanks - those were the sites I have been using. Hence why I got so nervous when my vet said I had to get the bloods done before entering Canada. I am sure I don't. I know I will have to get her bloods done before we come back (if we do!)

It's just a big big hiccup to have if I get it wrong so wanted to double check with the other experts - ie you lot!

Just so you know, rules back in to EU changed as of jan 1 2012 for cats and dogs.

I'm currently collecting quotes to ship a horse and just found out that as of jan 15 2012, all horses from EU in to Canada must go in to pre-exportation quarantine for 30 days. Just added another $1000 to the shipping cost. Crap.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks - yep that's what I thought - about 3 weeks before - still waiting on LMO so not getting it done til we get that through!

Re the pet passport - from my understanding they need them to fly between countries in Europe? hence me getting it in-case she does fly via Frankfurt? I'd rather just get one to relieve the stress levels!
But she won't need the blood test. Just the jab and wait 21 days before travel. Frankfurt has quarantine facility so the dog will just be in transit and not landed in Germany.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Just so you know, rules back in to EU changed as of jan 1 2012 for cats and dogs.

I'm currently collecting quotes to ship a horse and just found out that as of jan 15 2012, all horses from EU in to Canada must go in to pre-exportation quarantine for 30 days. Just added another $1000 to the shipping cost. Crap.
Wow shipping a horse!! Never heard of anyone doing that!

Another $1000

It's costing us more to get the dog across that our 3 flights combined...
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by YYZlover
But she won't need the blood test. Just the jab and wait 21 days before travel. Frankfurt has quarantine facility so the dog will just be in transit and not landed in Germany.
The whole idea of her staying a night in Frankfurt makes me feel so guilty... I have no idea of her surroundings, how scared she will be etc. I have been told they have vets over there that treat them well but you just never know do you? Do you have experience of shipping animals via Frankfurt?

What do you mean "in transit and not landed"

Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Additional Information

The import requirements also apply to dogs that were originally from Canada and are returning to Canada from a rabies-free country.

The import requirements also apply to dogs leaving a country that imposed quarantine, if the dog leaves before that quarantine period is completed.

Canada does not require a waiting period between the time the animal is vaccinated for rabies and the time the animal is imported into Canada.

There you go, confirmation that you don't even need to wait for any period of time after the rabies jab so strictly speaking you could have it done with the fit to fly certificate.

As for horses maybe there are different rules?

Also maybe you should check with German "defra" but you might find it doesn't apply if she remains in her crate and is just being moved from one plane to another?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

The whole idea of her staying a night in Frankfurt makes me feel so guilty... I have no idea of her surroundings, how scared she will be etc. I have been told they have vets over there that treat them well but you just never know do you? Do you have experience of shipping animals via Frankfurt?

What do you mean "in transit and not landed"

Thanks!
Why does she have to go via Frankfurt?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pets
The Germans love their pets just as much as any other people, but they have a lot of rules concerning them.
If you wish to bring a cat or dog into Germany, the animal must have been vaccinated for rabies at least 30 days but no more than 12 months prior to its entry. Proof of examination must be presented at the border.
It is a European Union requirement that dogs and cats have an identification number, either on a clearly visible tattoo or as a microchip, and that this number corresponds to one on the proof of examination. (For travel between European Union countries, the pets must now have a passport, issued by a licensed veterinarian.)

Found this on a "german" website. So it really does depend on what is deemed to be her status in Germany for those 24hrs...
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's costing us more to get the dog across that our 3 flights combined...
How big is your dog? Size of a horse? I can't see why the dog would cost that much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.