Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Doggies Have Arrived

Doggies Have Arrived

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doggies Have Arrived

For those of you who worry about how your dogs will make the journey, our two German Shepherds arrived safe and sound in Calgary yesterday afternoon (we arrived on Saturday). Apart from being rather humble they seemed just as perky and happy as when then went off to the airport kennels last Wednesday. So full marks to Airpets. Although for what we had to pay the dogs should have been drunk on the free business class champagne.

Using Airpets actually worked out cheaper than booking Air Canada Cargo ourselves plus the purchase of two crates. I'm surprised. I'm still pissed at Air Canada for changing the weight limits for dogs traveling as excess baggage though

They arrived at the Air Canada Cargo terminal 30 minutes after the plane landed. I then took the paperwork to Customs at the passenger terminal building to pay the inspection fees. Much to my surprise, I didn't have to show the rabies vacination paperwork to anyone. All in all, an hour after the plane landed we were on our way home.

Last edited by Posidrive; Nov 22nd 2005 at 11:26 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:24 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Re: Doggies Have Arrived

This helps me rest my mind a bit. We are off in a couple of weeks and our dog is going to be right below us!
Still know I will be worried all the way, but know that a bag full of food on arrival will soon put her back to normal!

Originally Posted by Posidrive
For those of you who worry about how your dogs will make the journey, our two German Shepherds arrived safe and sound in Calgary yesterday afternoon (we arrived on Saturday). Apart from being rather humble they seemed just as perky and happy as when then went off to the airport kennels last Wednesday. So full marks to Airpets. Although for what we had to pay the dogs should have been drunk on the free business class champagne.

Using Airpets actually worked out cheaper than booking Air Canada Cargo ourselves plus the purchase of two crates. I'm surprised. I'm still pissed at Air Canada for changing the weight limits for dogs traveling as excess baggage though

They arrived at the Air Canada Cargo terminal 30 minutes after the plane landed. I then took the paperwork to Customs at the passenger terminal building to pay the inspection fees. Much to my surprise, I didn't have to show the rabies vacination paperwork to anyone. All in all, an our after the plane landed we were on our way home.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:54 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Must be great having them back with you. I still miss our GS which we lost to cancer some 5 years ago.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Must be great having them back with you. I still miss our GS which we lost to cancer some 5 years ago.
It is. House was really empty without them. We are still tinged with sadness that we only have the two tails rather than the three that we had hoped for. Our beloved GSD ****** died of gastric torsion the week before I first came out to start my job in June. He would have loved it here.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

wickham is an unknown quantity at this point

They arrived at the Air Canada Cargo terminal 30 minutes after the plane landed. I then took the paperwork to Customs at the passenger terminal building to pay the inspection fees. Much to my surprise, I didn't have to show the rabies vacination paperwork to anyone. All in all, an hour after the plane landed we were on our way home.
Can I ask how much it cost to ship them - we have a GSD too and a collie x breed and are trying to decide the best and cheapest way to ship them. We're not yet sure whether they will be able to come out with us or later (depends on whether we can find a rental that will allow dogs).

Our collie is quite elderly (12 yrs) and is also very nervous. I am quite concerned how she will cope with the journey and whether she will stay in her crate ...she can chew her way out of metal cages (I kid you not!) and even bleeding gums and loose teeth doesn't stop her!! Are you allowed to sedate them for the journey?
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Daveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wickham
Can I ask how much it cost to ship them - we have a GSD too and a collie x breed and are trying to decide the best and cheapest way to ship them. We're not yet sure whether they will be able to come out with us or later (depends on whether we can find a rental that will allow dogs).

Our collie is quite elderly (12 yrs) and is also very nervous. I am quite concerned how she will cope with the journey and whether she will stay in her crate ...she can chew her way out of metal cages (I kid you not!) and even bleeding gums and loose teeth doesn't stop her!! Are you allowed to sedate them for the journey?

my Lab is flying with my wife in a couple of weeks with BA as excess luggage. BA still allow upto 60kg although the limit is 32kg you just pay extra. its costing us about £250 for the dog plus £400 for the seat. which works out far less than a pet carrier.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wickham

Best sit down first. £2800 or there abouts. We were planning to bring them via the excess baggage route but because our house buyers buggered us around we missed the 12th October deadline when Air Canada/BA lowered the weight limit. I think that some companies are cheaper, but we had little notice and to take what we could get. Interestinly when we arrived we saw all the customs paperwork and of the £2800 approx £2100 was the Air Canada cargo fee and approx £200 was for the crates.

The Airpets crates are custom made. They seem well made. Wooden costruction with doubles layers of mesh at each end.

Take care about trying BA with the excess baggage route. We considered doing this via Vancouver then driving across the Rockies to Calgary. We were then told that the weight limit per item 32kg had to be adhered to. 32 kg is not much use for a GSD plus wooden dog crate. The baggage handlers do not have to lift anything over 32 kg, whereas the Cargo guys do. Don't ask me why.

Do NOT sedate them. They will die since a sedated dog cannot properly control it's body temperature.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is. House was really empty without them. We are still tinged with sadness that we only have the two tails rather than the three that we had hoped for. Our beloved GSD ****** died of gastric torsion the week before I first came out to start my job in June. He would have loved it here.
Anyone like to tell me why my dog's name (*********** ) is considered offensive enough to be censored by ******
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:16 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone like to tell me why my dog's name (*********** ) is considered offensive enough to be censored by ******
No idea Posi, unless you named it something offensive but then shouting it in the park would have drawn some looks...go figure.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Daveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud of

Best sit down first. £2800 or there abouts. We were planning to bring them via the excess baggage route but because our house buyers buggered us around we missed the 12th October deadline when Air Canada/BA lowered the weight limit. I think that some companies are cheaper, but we had little notice and to take what we could get. Interestinly when we arrived we saw all the customs paperwork and of the £2800 approx £2100 was the Air Canada cargo fee and approx £200 was for the crates.

The Airpets crates are custom made. They seem well made. Wooden costruction with doubles layers of mesh at each end.

Take care about trying BA with the excess baggage route. We considered doing this via Vancouver then driving across the Rockies to Calgary. We were then told that the weight limit per item 32kg had to be adhered to. 32 kg is not much use for a GSD plus wooden dog crate. The baggage handlers do not have to lift anything over 32 kg, whereas the Cargo guys do. Don't ask me why.

Do NOT sedate them. They will die since a sedated dog cannot properly control it's body temperature.
now i'm worried!

the've confirmed the dog's space on the flight and know his weight.

should we re-confirm?
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Daveyboy_The_Red
now i'm worried!

the've confirmed the dog's space on the flight and know his weight.

should we re-confirm?
I would check. Get them to send something in writing.

Our problem was not the weight of the dogs alone, but the total once you added in the crates
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tangram
No idea Posi, unless you named it something offensive but then shouting it in the park would have drawn some looks...go figure.
S
a
s
c
h
a
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe there is a policy about the public naming of canines without their express permission ...protecting the innnocent and all that

All a bit ****ing bizzare if you ask me.

Glad you are reunited with your doggies and the trip went well...just in time for the cold walking season
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

S
a
s
c
h
a
What a beautiful name....our GS was Cimber ( not named after the Lion King 'Simba' but a character out of Julius Caesar ).

No idea on that one.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering the same myself!

How bizarre!! I wonder if anyone will come along and explain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.