Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does Bad credit follow you from the uk????

Does Bad credit follow you from the uk????

Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does Bad credit follow you from the uk????

Originally Posted by R I C H
I consciously drove over the speed limit on the way to work this morning, and feel no remorse.

I've never consciously chosen to rip anyone off for £2k though.

HTH
So, should I come to you first if I want to break any laws? You seem to know which ones it's ok to break and which ones it's not.
You can actually go to jail for speeding. It's a crime.
I'd say that makes you worse than me. I didnt put anyones life at risk with my actions, you did. What's next? Driven home over the legal alcohol limit?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iaink
Everyone likes to think that everyone would behave the same way as they do.

As someone in another thread said, 75% of the population think they are in the top 50%

You clearly think what you are considering doing is OK, and are rationalising it however you want. But the reality is that EVERYONE ELSE responding to this thread is telling you its the wrong thing to do, either morally, or more importantly on a practical basis.

They are your shoes, and if you want to piss on them and stink for the rest of your life, that's entirely up to you, nothing we can do.

But, based on what you have posted here, I AM clearly a better person than you.

BYE.
Same goes to you. Nice to know the forum has it's very own moral guardian.
Point me to the thread where I said what I was doing right...
I know it's wrong, and I've admitted it.

Admittedly most on this thread are up in arms, but I've had PM's off 8 people saying they've done exactly the same (and worse).
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:39 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
So, should I come to you first if I want to break any laws? You seem to know which ones it's ok to break and which ones it's not.
You can actually go to jail for speeding. It's a crime.
I'd say that makes you worse than me. I didnt put anyones life at risk with my actions, you did. What's next? Driven home over the legal alcohol limit?
I put folks life at risk by driving my quad bike across a field to work? Oh, my bad.

I may have a beer tonight and compound the crime.

Maybe you shouldn't make assumptions about people?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

I put folks life at risk by driving my quad bike across a field to work? Oh, my bad.

I may have a beer tonight and compound the crime.

Maybe you shouldn't make assumptions about people?
Poor response. Must try harder.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I phoned up one of the National debt charities and spoke to a debt counsellor to find out would happen if I did this.
Great, I suspect s/he had worked at the deli counter at Tesco prior to starting there (no disrepect to any deli counter workers)

Contrary to what one of the other posters said above, a CCJ does not have to be served at your current address (ie/ they dont have to track you down). It only has to be served at your last known address.
Once the court receive no reply, they'll ask the creditor what they want to do.

Actually a CCJ does not have to be served anywhere. The fact it exists is sufficient. If you are talking about the proceedings themselves then they do, if they know you no longer live there, the last known address is only any good if they don't know you no longer live there. In any event, you still end up with a CCJ. You need to refer to Part 6 here: http://www.justice.gov.uk/civil/proc...ules.htm#part1

The court will not take any action until the Claimant contacts it, in essence, it doesn't care what happens and will not contact the Claimant at all. Eventually, it will close it's file by striking out the action. If someone has taken the time and effort to issue proceedings, they are unlikely to stop there.

Technically, there are powers in place to allow the courts to enforce the CCJ in Canada. However, first they have to prove that you're actually there.
What the lady told me is that 99 times out of 100, it never gets that far. You have to be talking serious debts (£50k +) to make it cost effective because it is a very costly and lengthy process.

Actually they are relatively straightforward and, relatively, cost efficient. Don't always count on the "it's not worth it to them" argument. One client I used to act for bankrupted everyone they could, just to send a message and avoid defaulters. Large firms of solicitors offices often have very sophisticated case management programs that reduce the actual cost (to them) to very little. They then charge the client very little as the client, usually, sends them other work that is lucrative

After 6 years, it's statute barred so any debts are written off anyway (by law).

Says who, if they have a judgment limitation (the statue barred bit you've referred to) is irrelevant. In fact, once proceedings are issued, the "limitation period" stops. In addition to that, you need to read s.33 of the Limitation Act 1980. If a fair trial is still possible, limitation is not really a defence. In most situations, it is relatively simple to argue a fair trial is still possible, unless all the witnesses (namely you) are dead. If that obtains, you won't care anyway

Yes, yes, I know I shouldnt be doing this, but I am and I dont feel guilty about it. It's my choice, my risk. If I get caught, it's my own fault. Flame away....
That's a matter for you. I make no judgment on your morals.

You have been provided with, or yourself think, information that is clearly wrong. I was a solicitor in the UK for 10 years and if you wish to suggest that I don't know I'm talking about in the future, please provide authority for what you are saying.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jul 25th 2008 at 9:52 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:45 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Poor response. Must try harder.
Eh? I work from home on my own property and travel to work by quad bike. Seemed an appropriate response to me.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Great, I suspect s/he had worked at the deli counter at Tesco prior to starting there (no disrepect to any deli counter workers)

Oh yes it does, if they know you no longer live there, the last known address is only any good if they don't know you no longer live there. In any event, you still end up with a CCJ. You need to refer to Part 6 here: http://www.justice.gov.uk/civil/proc...ules.htm#part1

The court will not take any action until the Claimant contacts it, in essence, it doesn't care what happens and will not contact the Claimant at all. Eventually, it will close it's file by striking out the action. If someone has taken the time and effort to issue proceedings, they are unlikely to stop there.

Actually they are relatively straightforward and, relatively, cost efficient. Don't always count on the "it's not worth it to them" argument. One client I used to act for bankrupted everyone they could, just to send a message and avoid defaulters. Large firms of solicitors offices often have very sophisticated case management programs that reduce the actual cost (to them) to very little. They then charge the client very little as the client, usually, sends them other work that is lucrative

Says who, if they have a judgment limitation (the statue barred bit you've referred to) is irrelevant. In fact, once proceedings are issued, the "limitation period" stops. In addition to that, you need to read s.33 of the Limitation Act 1980. If a fair trial is still possible, limitation is not really a defence. In most situations, it is relatively simple to argue a fair trial is still possible, unless all the witnesses (namely you) are dead. If that obtains, you won't care anyway

That's a matter for you. I make no judgment on your morals.

You have been provided with, or yourself think, information that is clearly wrong. I was a solicitor in the UK for 10 years and if you wish to suggest that I don't know I'm talking about in the future, please provide authority for what you are saying.
I dont intend to reply to each of your comments because it's late and im bored of the issue already.
However, if whoever it is decides to pursue me in Canada, fair play to them.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:51 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that hundreds of Brits have and continue to leave the country owing thousands, but that nothing happens to them. She even wished me good luck and that she hopes I get away with it.
If no one from a debt collection agency has contacted you for 6yrs, then the debt will be written off under the UK Limitations Act.

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/...tation_act.php

6yrs is a long time to be looking over your shoulder though, especially for the sake of two grand.
Why don't you just burn the car and claim on the insurance?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:53 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you ever watch CSI or anything? Hell you can't get away with anything these days. Sleep with one eye open...............muwhahahahahahaha
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I dont intend to reply to each of your comments because it's late and im bored of the issue already.

Fantastic answer - well done. I take it that is as good an admission I am going to get that you have no answer.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Fantastic answer - well done. I take it that is as good an admission I am going to get that you have no answer.
If you read my first post, I made it pretty clear that I was told by someone else. Not once did I offer anything as expert opinion or that I was qualified to give financial advice. However, what I was told was that creditors might make it their policy to chase everyone down, regardless of the cost, but that it was unlikely if it didnt make business sense.
Get off your high horse.

Last edited by jericho; Jul 25th 2008 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you read my first post, I made it pretty clear that I was told by someone else. Not once did I offer anything as expert opinion or that I was qualified to give financial advice. However, what I was told was that creditors might make it their policy to chase everyone down, regardless of the cost, but that it was unlikely if it didnt make business sense.
Get off your high horse.
If you re-read the second quote of your's that I quoted above, you will note that you stated that others on this thread had given incorrect information. I think I was the only one that commented on that particular issue (although I didn't refer to a CCJ) but, if others did, I apologise unreservedly to you.

As I have said previously, it makes no difference to me what you do but attitudes like your's are one of the reasons I left the UK. Yes there are people like you over here but one doesn't tend to run into them with quite the same regularity that one did in the UK, whcih has to be good
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

When we leave for Canada, the only debt i'll be leaving behind is on my car finance. I'll be posting the keys and V5 back to the vehicle company, and telling them to collect. They'll sell the vehicle at auction, and technically, I'm liable for the difference (i estimate it at approx £2k).
I just don't get this. If a car will get just 2,000 pounds less at auction than the outstanding finance, why not sell it privately?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I understand both points of view in this discussion but ann £2000 may as well be 2 million if you don't have it. So to some yes it is a big deal. Would be to me anyhow!
If you don't have it, then you can't afford to emigrate, can you?
That's what I was getting at really. If you don't have a spare £2k in your budget - then I just think, boy, something, anything in the emigration will come and bite you on the backside. That's not even a cushion. That's barely an emergency flight home, or a year's car insurance in some provinces. I dare not add up all the 'little' things that one pays out for on arrival in their new land ....

(and mandymoochops - you work in a bank - would you be so charitable if it were one of your customers doing a runner )
Old Jul 25th 2008, 11:45 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Right so, as I previously asked, how is it fraudulent to answer no to the original question when, it would appear, the OP is not a bankrupt and never made an agreement with creditors ?

It's not fraud if the person has never been Bankrupt/Made an Arrangement.

The Opening Poster didn't say he had been Bankrupt, but I was answering the question as to when bad credit can follow you, and the consequences if you tell a little fib about it.

I was not implying that the OP was a Bankrupt, nor making any judgements, merely serving up the facts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.