Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does anybody know what shops stock corn meal

Does anybody know what shops stock corn meal

Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does anybody know what shops stock corn meal

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I have tried to make cornbread without success. It always tastes bitter. I think its the baking powder but am not sure.

Any suggestions??
Yes the recipe I am using requires sugar so that might sweeten it. I am making it Sat so if it is a success I will post the recipe I have on BE.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Thanks for the advice everyone it was so helpful and I managed to find it in Superstore. This site is great as you can get info at your fingertips.

Thanks again
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:29 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LotteW
Sometimes it is listed as Cornmeal, other times it might be Polenta.
in my book cornmeal and polenta isn't exactly the same. the "real" cornmeal is ground whereas polenta is rather crushed - you can compare that with the differences between oatmeal and porridge.
i use cornmeal for corn bread but prefer crushed corn for a polenta italian style (served as side dish) or à la grandmaman (a full dish) - which is similar to porridge in making and consistency.

happy cooking / baking to you all!
Old May 23rd 2009, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

john sosebee is an unknown quantity at this point

I have tried to make cornbread without success. It always tastes bitter. I think its the baking powder but am not sure.

Any suggestions??
John from Georgia.........Here in N. Georgia, we LIVE on cornbread. Yes, it is the baking powder that causes the cornmeal to taste bitter. Here in the N. Georgia mountains, we ALWAYS use white cornmeal. To make authentic cornbread.......

In a skillet (preferably black iron)
put 3 Tblsp shortening (the Not all vegatable type makes better bread) place in a 400 degree oven while assembling the rest of the ingredients. The shortening should be smoking when it is removed from the oven and poured into the mixture............

3 cups Cornmeal
1/'2 cup plain flour
1 Tblsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 Egg..beaten
3 Cups Buttermilk

combine the dry ingredients. Stir to distrubute them evenly. Add egg to the buttermilk, stir and then add to the dry mixture. Stir only until the ingredients are no longer dry (don't over mix..should have the consistency of thin Oatmeal..depending on the thickness of the Buttermilk, add a little more if too thick, or a little less if it seems to be too thin.)

Take the smoking shortening from the oven and pour into the mixture. Stir to incorporate. Place in a 400 degree oven until Golden Brown....

If you can find Stone Ground Cornmeal, that's best.......enjoy...Grandpa John
Old May 23rd 2009, 4:39 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by john sosebee
John from Georgia.........Here in N. Georgia, we LIVE on cornbread. Yes, it is the baking powder that causes the cornmeal to taste bitter. Here in the N. Georgia mountains, we ALWAYS use white cornmeal. To make authentic cornbread.......

In a skillet (preferably black iron)
put 3 Tblsp shortening (the Not all vegatable type makes better bread) place in a 400 degree oven while assembling the rest of the ingredients. The shortening should be smoking when it is removed from the oven and poured into the mixture............

3 cups Cornmeal
1/'2 cup plain flour
1 Tblsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 Egg..beaten
3 Cups Buttermilk

combine the dry ingredients. Stir to distrubute them evenly. Add egg to the buttermilk, stir and then add to the dry mixture. Stir only until the ingredients are no longer dry (don't over mix..should have the consistency of thin Oatmeal..depending on the thickness of the Buttermilk, add a little more if too thick, or a little less if it seems to be too thin.)

Take the smoking shortening from the oven and pour into the mixture. Stir to incorporate. Place in a 400 degree oven until Golden Brown....

If you can find Stone Ground Cornmeal, that's best.......enjoy...Grandpa John
Wow, thats a little weird seeing this post so long after the thread stopped, and there's me thinking about cornbread only yesterday too.

I will try your recipe. I will have to subsitute gluten free flour for the plain flour though. Baking soda isn't the same as baking powder?? And cornmeal isn't the same as cornflour or is it? (Cornstarch is called cornflour in the UK)

Anyway thanks for the recipe and the tip about the smoking shortening.
Old May 23rd 2009, 5:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Rube's Flour, under the St. Lawrence market, keeps all manner of corn meal.
Old May 23rd 2009, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Rube's Flour, under the St. Lawrence market, keeps all manner of corn meal.
Is there anything that you can't buy at the St Lawrence market??
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anything that you can't buy at the St Lawrence market??
Not much. I love the place. That said, not everything at the market is a bargain, that meat stand Deliso, Delucca, DeSomething, offers routine meats with attitude, style, and attitudenal prices. Best to buy just the bag and to put meat from another stand in it, then you can go to the Biermarkt and fit in and still have good steaks.

I have, btw, been going to the market since Rube was an old Jewish guy, not some Asian who changed his name to match that of the stand he'd acquired!
Old May 24th 2009, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

john sosebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thats a little weird seeing this post so long after the thread stopped, and there's me thinking about cornbread only yesterday too.

I will try your recipe. I will have to subsitute gluten free flour for the plain flour though. Baking soda isn't the same as baking powder?? And cornmeal isn't the same as cornflour or is it? (Cornstarch is called cornflour in the UK)

Anyway thanks for the recipe and the tip about the smoking shortening.
Do you have an allergy to wheat gluten? Yes, baking powder (Sodium Aluminum Sulfate) is not the same as Baking Soda (Bi-carbonate of soda). In the US, the most commonly sold Baking Soda is Arm & Hammer. Corn Meal is much coarser than corn flour. Corn flour can't be used to make cornbread. Corn starch is a white very fine powdery substance, that is used to thicken gravies and sauces.

I hope your bread comes out good....have a nice day....