Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

drumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

I find this question quite interesting.

I wonder how I'd react if I came across another brit when (if) I live in Canada. Although not strictly a Brit myself, people around me consider me as one (although they are the first to take the p out of my accent and my french ways too!!) - when I first arrived in the UK, I avoided french people like the plague, well I hadn't come here to be with french people afterall!

Only recently, when I occasionally hear a french accent when I speak to people, I might ask whether they are french but I must say I am not that interested, it's quite funny because most of the french I have come across living in the UK feel more comfortable speaking english (and me the first!) - and must say after 19 years here, none of my friends are french. I wonder how I will feel when I hear a Brit accent when (if) I live in Canada!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

If I hear a northern accent I'm more likely to ask! Espcially if I can place it in the region from Liverpool to the west and Leeds to the East.

I miss the northern sense of humour and sense of place/identity.

Maybe it doesn't exist anymore.

When I lived in the UK I could place people by their accent - Northern Manchester, Burnley and Bury (obviously), Blackburn all different. The Wirral is different from Scouse and there's different forms of scouse.

Over the pennines and you've got the Yorkshire accents (that's right love - Sheffield) from Bradford to Leeds again all slightly different.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

I always get the impression that Brits are uncomfortable meeting eachother over here for some bizarre reason. My theory is we all want to be the only people doing this out here and don't like meeting other Brits who are doing the same - not that I think like that, but I get the impression lots of people do. I find it's friendly northerners (like myself) who are more likely to stop and chat to eachother about their commonality. I hate it when you come across a fellow Brit and they uncomfortably ignore the glaringly obvious fact we're both British and totally blank you. Very strange phenomenon.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

It's yer bleedin' sovener wot does that innit!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oops - I think I shut the thread down, I was just kidding!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Originally Posted by triumphguy
If I hear a northern accent I'm more likely to ask! Espcially if I can place it in the region from Liverpool to the west and Leeds to the East.

Maybe it doesn't exist anymore.

When I lived in the UK I could place people by their accent - Northern Manchester, Burnley and Bury (obviously), Blackburn all different. The Wirral is different from Scouse and there's different forms of scouse.

Over the pennines and you've got the Yorkshire accents (that's right love - Sheffield) from Bradford to Leeds again all slightly different.
You obviously haven't met me yet - I am a Yorkshire lass (from the Dales), but my accent is modified by the private school my parents sent me to and elocution lessons (so think "posh" Yorkshire).... no one has commented on my accent being northern tbh. and Mr LW has a Lincolnshire accent cos he grew up in Boston.

Funnily enough,the accent is one thing we haven't lost - if anything it has become more "northern" over the last 3 years.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
I always get the impression that Brits are uncomfortable meeting eachother over here for some bizarre reason. My theory is we all want to be the only people doing this out here and don't like meeting other Brits who are doing the same - not that I think like that, but I get the impression lots of people do. I find it's friendly northerners (like myself) who are more likely to stop and chat to eachother about their commonality. I hate it when you come across a fellow Brit and they uncomfortably ignore the glaringly obvious fact we're both British and totally blank you. Very strange phenomenon.
I am not uncomfortable meeting others - infact I am a total chatterbox who will talk to anyone, anywhere, any place....

to me it doesn't matter if they are Brits, Canadians, Aussies or whatever - I will still talk to them.

I might comment on them being a Brit if I notice the accent though and ask them where they are from... just in part of the normal conversation. I became quite good friends with a lovely Scottish lady a couple of months ago as a result of a chance meeting in a supermarket queue - we have been for coffee several times now (as in nearly every week )

Then again, you said about the freindly Northerners - I am from N Yorks, so I guess I qualify for that... and being a Yorkshire woman I can talk the hind leg off a donkey (my husband has a theory as to why Yorkshire men tend to be the strong, silent type - it is cos they can't get a word in edgeways with their wives....)
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:07 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by triumphguy

Maybe it doesn't exist anymore. - O it DOES

When I lived in the UK I could place people by their accent - Northern Manchester, Burnley and Bury (obviously), Blackburn all different. The Wirral is different from Scouse and there's different forms of scouse. - would be good to meet you....LOL
Originally Posted by LotteW
Funnily enough,the accent is one thing we haven't lost - if anything it has become more "northern" over the last 3 years. - oops looks like mine is here to stay
It doesnt bother me where my friends come from, i refered to earlier that i have kept a few expat friends and the rest of canadian, but thats because i get on with them not because they are expats or canadians.
I speak to anyone, got stopped in a store the other month with a scottish lady, been here 30+years and wow was her accent still strong
The lady accross is expat been her 50+yrs, bloke round corner his dad is english............
But then again i was emailed by a canadian friend who said hed given my cell number to an expat he met, they was finding it hard

To tell the truth it doesnt matter who they are i normally talk to them, i was always the one who had the little old dear talking to me on the bus in the uk

No i haven't got tinted glasses on and we have had deep talks before, during and after the move regarding death in family, i dread to think how we will deal with it, but we know we must.............when it happens

In the meantime MSN is our friend and free uk calls

I miss that cuddle with me old mum and being there for my best friend......
Neally time to wish them a happy new year.......this will be strange, its only just after 4 here
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moondevil
No i haven't got tinted glasses on and we have had deep talks before, during and after the move regarding death in family, i dread to think how we will deal with it, but we know we must.............when it happens
That was my one big worry - the family deaths

Mind you, both my parents have passed on and we are estranged from Mr LW's parents (his choice btw). But I do have one very elderly aunt (bless her, she is as nutty as a fruitcake and isn't even aware that I am no longer in the UK), 2 cousins and a sister. The cousins I have never even met, so really it is only Auntie J and my sister that I have to worry about. Auntie J I expect to go in the next couple of years, and I know I have enough space on a CC or savings in the bank to pay for a plane ticket, it would be me that goes by myself to pay respects, DH and the kids would stay here for practical reasons. My Sis is toying with the idea of coming over too, but has said that she would prefer to wait until after Auntie J has passed over.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

drumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
OMG, I was thinking that but never dared write it (it's not just the brits)! I kinda felt I was the only french person who really "got it" in the UK - so embarrassing to admit (but at the same time so liberating!, what a plonker!) but honestly, when I heard another french in the UK, I used to think "oi, my country, what are you doing here, go back where you come from" (note the "used to"...hmmm ... whatever). how weird is that??!!