Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Old Dec 24th 2008, 10:39 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

The last few days, in two different shops I've heard Brit accents - quite rare for here I think, in fact, I only know of two other people on this forum from the area. So, just wondered, when you come across another Brit - do you strike up a conversation with them, or run past not wanting to be reminded of the motherland?
Old Dec 24th 2008, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Originally Posted by G77
The last few days, in two different shops I've heard Brit accents - quite rare for here I think, in fact, I only know of two other people on this forum from the area. So, just wondered, when you come across another Brit - do you strike up a conversation with them, or run past not wanting to be reminded of the motherland?
I keep my mouth shut. I have no desire not to be reminded of the UK, it's the bitching and whining that I don't want to hear. On the whole, I find them way too negative
Old Dec 24th 2008, 10:48 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I keep my mouth shut. I have no desire not to be reminded of the UK, it's the bitching and whining that I don't want to hear. On the whole, I find them way too negative
Although by virtue of them being here, wouldn't they have a similar view, so less likely to whinge?
Old Dec 24th 2008, 10:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I usually proposition them. I find the British have enjoyably slack morals.

One must be nimble though, they're a violent people, usually under the influence of booze and drugs, and may react badly.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have come across two. One was a manager or buyer or something in Superstore. He was deep in a conversation and I hung around 'looking' in the freezer cabinets until he finished. At an appropriate moment I said something along the lines of it being nice to hear another Brit. He smiled and then treated me as if I wasn't there.

The second one was in the post office queue. She had just moved here from BC. I told her about this site. I don't know if she joined.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:12 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I know a few Brits who are unaware of the existence of this forum and have varying degrees of accent (some would be impossible to spot from accent as they came to Vancouver as children 30+ years ago) so I don't think this board is representative of all the Brits I come across in Vancouver. I don't actively avoid Brits (members or not of this board) but neither do I actively seek Brits out. Except fellow passengers on flights, I tend to interact with people I have interests rather than nationality in common with.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

Oh I've met quite a lot of Brits in the supermarket. They approach me as they hear me chatting away to my son. I always get into long conversations with them, one even gave me a free family pass for the swimming pool where she worked! I find it fascinating to hear that many of these Brits have lived here for 40 or 50 years, stressing how much they miss England.

The other Brits are at my son's pre-school - yes we have playdates & coffee mornings but I spend more time with the canadian mums/neighbours then I do them.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:16 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I have chatted to a english couple we met at a party the other day - only others have heard have been in the mall - but too hectic to talk - and still a bit blinded by everyting - me that is!!
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Although by virtue of them being here, wouldn't they have a similar view, so less likely to whinge?
Unfortunately, no.

Until I moved here, I could never understand the "Whinging POHM" reference. Now I do.

Of course, not all are like this but, unfortunately, I have met enough that are not to wish to tempt fate.

As another poster has said, I prefer to mix with those that have similar interests, rather than those with whom I have a common birthplace.

I also find that, on the whole, even though they state that they hate the fact that the UK has become a drunken cesspit, they all still seek to get legless at any excuse. I have seen enough pavement pizzas to last me a lifetime. I am amazed at how many Europeans (Germans, Italians, etc) we count amongst our closet friends.

Summer BBQ time is always "international" at our house
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:47 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
At an appropriate moment I said something along the lines of it being nice to hear another Brit. He smiled and then treated me as if I wasn't there.
Perhaps he's heard about your flyer scouring philosophy
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There is only one Brit I meet with on a regular basis, but she has been here for 45 years. I was introduced to another a few years ago, but he was a Millwall supporter so obviously I ignored him.

Otherwise I tend to run at the sound of a British accent.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

I would've said that Millwall supporter was my husband but we've only been here 8 months
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I also find that, on the whole, even though they state that they hate the fact that the UK has become a drunken cesspit, they all still seek to get legless at any excuse.
It's what we are, it's what makes us British, is it not?
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:20 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's what we are, it's what makes us British, is it not?
Part of at least - I must admit I'm fairly partial to a drink myself
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:41 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I don't go out of my way to say anything and I don't go out of my way to be quiet.
To me they are just people and to be quite honest they wouldn't give me the time of day in the UK so I don't see what being in Canada has to do with it.

In fact of the Brits / Brit-Canadians that have clocked on to me roughly a quarter have been idiots. Either too familiar, punchy with a drink inside them, or a bit Johnny and Tabitha (you know the sort). You can take some people out of the UK but you cant take the UK out of some people, mores the pity.

That said I have met a few expats here that I like. But not enough to make me seek them out for sure.

I actually prefer to mix with the Canadians. Hence moving here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.