Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:48 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you speak to other Brits you come across?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've been in and around Toronto since 1981 and am I stingy bastard. I live in the snow belt. I've never had any until a month or so ago. I do notice that they're better in specific circumstances, in heavy snow on all seasons I run uphill stop signs for fear of not being able to restart, whereas on the winter tyres I stop, but these are very specific instances, 6" or more of snow and a slope. I think they're nice to have but I wouldn't give up having a roast on Sunday or switch to domestic beer for them.

I rest my case.
That is one of the most irresponsible comments I have ever heard.

You see that car you're about to T-bone?
Thats every poster on here and their children in that car.

FFS

Edit.
Actually, having read several of DBD's comments I have decided he likely has a personality disorder.

I promise not to feed the troll any more.

Last edited by wbexpat; Dec 27th 2008 at 8:51 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wbexpat
Please back up your assertions. with evidence.
Toyota, chunky tyres:

http://upperappalachia.blogspot.com/...al-ritual.html

Dealership where I bought the tyres, the offer's over so you'll have to phone them to confirm that they had a tyre promotion:

http://www.guelph.vwdealer.com/

I don't have pictures of the neighbour's tyres but, tomorrow's Sunday, I guess I can walk around and photograph them.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I rest my case.
That is one of the most irresponsible comments I have ever heard.
Blimey, that's a sheltered life.

You see that car you're about to T-bone?
Thats every poster on here and their children in that car.
Obviously not. In twenty years of driving 25,000 miles a year or better I don't recall colliding with even one child of a poster on this site.

If you like having winter tyres, fine and good, they're nice, but there's no need to make a rubber fetish of it, most people manage perfectly well without them.

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 27th 2008 at 9:42 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Blimey, that's a sheltered life.

Obviously not. In twenty years of driving 25,000 miles a year or better I don't recall colliding with even one child of a poster on this site.

If you like having winter tyres, fine and good, they're nice, but there's no need to make a rubber fetish of it, most people manage perfectly well without them.
Now that's not strictly true is it.

This year especially, most people in our area (and bear in mind we don't live that far from one another) seem to have opted for snow tyres this time around. Probably due to last winter and its never ending snow. I believe there was even a shortage due to increased sales thereof.

We were reluctant to buy them but too much slipping and sliding last winter made me consider the investment. I can honestly say they are an improvement over our all-seasons on snowy roads.

Anyway - how have we got on to this from a discussion about whether or not we talk to other Brits?

Last edited by Mr Lee; Dec 27th 2008 at 11:34 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 11:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
This year especially, most people in our area (and bear in mind we don't live that far from one another) seem to have opted for snow tyres this time around. Probably due to last winter and its never ending snow. I believe there was even a shortage due to increased sales
If there was a shortage it was probably due to the change of law in Quebec.
Most everyone on our street has an F series, I don't know if you can get snow tyres for them but I know for sure that no one has.

Anyway - how have we got on to this from a discussion about whether or not we talk to other Brits?
Dunno. I talk to other Brits, no more or less so than anyone else.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
The last few days, in two different shops I've heard Brit accents - quite rare for here I think, in fact, I only know of two other people on this forum from the area. So, just wondered, when you come across another Brit - do you strike up a conversation with them, or run past not wanting to be reminded of the motherland?
LOL I love rooting out the Brits for a chat and especially the ones over here on reccies.....so I can give them the warts'n'all way of life here Hey, you can't expect those coming over for their "new way of life" to walk away still wearing those rose tinted specs!!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 2:45 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
LOL I love rooting out the Brits for a chat and especially the ones over here on reccies.....so I can give them the warts'n'all way of life here Hey, you can't expect those coming over for their "new way of life" to walk away still wearing those rose tinted specs!!
Charming.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Charming.
What's wrong with that?

I wish we'd have had somebody tell/warn us about certain aspects of Canadian life before we moved here. Especially from a Brit who would have told it how it is as opposd to a Canadian who, on the whole, tend to "put up and shut up".
Would have saved us a lot of money and stress.

Last edited by Mr Lee; Dec 28th 2008 at 4:47 am.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:10 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with that?
Well, objective and reasonable advice is one thing, but taking pleasure in pissing on another person's dreams and aspirations is pretty pathetic.

Last edited by JonboyE; Dec 28th 2008 at 6:35 am.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:16 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

I was introduced to another a few years ago, but he was a Millwall supporter so obviously I ignored him.
Oi, i hope that wasnt me!

Remember my boss saying, my neighbour supports Millwall, you should come round and have a fight with him. Made me laugh coming from a Canuck.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, objective and reasonable advice is one thing, but taking pleasure in pissing on another person's dreams and aspirations is pretty pathetic.
It's called "balance".

So many immigrants come here with hopes and aspirations, seeing Canada as the answer to all their problems and such a wonderful country to live in. Why should they have that impression?
A few negatives to balance out the positives is no bad thing. Fellow immigrants are perhaps the best positioned to point those negatives out.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Charming.
I feel it my duty to give across the "con's" side to living over here...as well as the "pro's" (and there are some great pro's). I agree with Mr Lee...I wish we could've had some negative advice for us to consider back then....whether it would have made us change our minds about coming, who knows? People need to know the truth about living in a frigid winter wonderland for close to 6 months of the year....yes it looks pretty and the first couple of years are great and so refreshing to the doom and gloom of the rain in the UK. However, I'm on for my 5th winter here now but it was my 4th that I hit the "I've had enough of this freezing white sh[t now" way of thinking. And don't even get me started on how the d'ckheads drive here in Winter...Summers are bad enough, but Winter they are lethal on these roads!!

I believe people need to hear about an Expats experience of family loss. It is damned hard! We did give it some "consideration" at the time of our immigration process but had the "cross that bridge when we come to it" mentality. If you are going through your own immigration process right now, and you have a fantastically close relationship with your mum, dad, siblings, grandparents, nieces, nephews, etc....then it will hit you like a double-whammy living over here. Not only are you hit with the financial implications of flights and the stay in the UK, but also, in your grief you may experience extreme guilt that you chose to live your life in Canada rather than spending close, loving times with your parents/siblings and building up memories for you and your kids. And this is the case with me....I am choosing to return home to pick up where I left off with my sister & her kids and my Mum & Dad. You can't argue with homesickness and a longing to be back with family.

Hope that has explained more in detail about what advice I give to Brits I meet, rather than look like some sick biatch having a "kick" putting folk off deliberately Although I did have a few Jack'n'cokes last night when I posted that so I admit there was an element of controversy running through me

Last edited by Ruby Murray; Dec 28th 2008 at 6:21 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:27 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I am choosing to return home to pick up where I left off with my sister & her kids and my Mum & Dad. You can't argue with homesickness and a longing to be back with family.
I thought you was going to say you're returning home due to the lack of Curry Personally I think that's a great thing as I can't stand the stuff and having FIVE curry houses in the town I left (with a pop of just 50k) struck me as ridiculous... I've not even seen a single one here, though apparently there is one downtown, but not something I've looked for obviously...
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G77
I thought you was going to say you're returning home due to the lack of Curry Personally I think that's a great thing as I can't stand the stuff and having FIVE curry houses in the town I left (with a pop of just 50k) struck me as ridiculous... I've not even seen a single one here, though apparently there is one downtown, but not something I've looked for obviously...
LOL....of course curry is just as important as my folks....the pathetic excuses of curry houses here in Red Deer make me yearn all the more for a good ol' Ruby Murray
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

Hope that has explained more in detail about what advice I give to Brits I meet, rather than look like some sick biatch having a "kick" putting folk off deliberately Although I did have a few Jack'n'cokes last night when I posted that so I admit there was an element of controversy running through me
I can't argue with any of your post. Each person's experience is equally valid. Sorry if I read your post the wrong way.

PS we've only had snow on the ground fro a week or so in Vancouver and I'm sick of shoveling it already.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.