Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

do you hate vancouver this much?

do you hate vancouver this much?

Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do you hate vancouver this much?

Originally Posted by julius smith
guys; i just found these comments about vancouver....>>

http://www.topix.com/forum/ca/vancou...1PJ6BKH1G4GPQ4

yikes! i hope theyre wrong, cos im wanting to head out there soon..

what do those of you living in vancouver think about the place?
No one place will suit everyone but we are very happy here.

I often read on-line reviews of restaurants. Not to decide where to go, but to see what other people say of places I have enjoyed. There are places I have been to several times and consistently received good food, served well, and at a reasonable price. Looking at the reviews three or four will report roughly the experience I had, but you can guarantee there will be one that says something like, "took ages to get served, rudest staff ever, and when it did arrive it was overpriced sh**e."

Some people obviously feel the need to post provocative and opinionated b*ll*cks. I have no idea why.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Vbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really nice

I agree with a lot of the opinions in the other forum. But it also depends on who you ask. Supposed the same person that complained that house prices are too expensive bought a house 10 years ago and it rose 250% in value...I doubt they'd be complaining!

Over all, if you don't have a lot of money or a good job, it's going to be pretty miserable here for you....It rains all the time and you don't have money to do anything fun

I am looking to move to Toronto, where the current job I'm doing pays 15k more...
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:10 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vbomb
...It rains all the time ..
No it doesn't.

Edited to add: It does get tiresome to keep having to repeat this, but taken from Environment Canada's website (the weather station at UBC):

# of days with measurable precipitation - 178.
# of days with bright sunshine - 285.
# of annual hours of bright sunshine - 1,838.
38.5 % of annual daylight hours are bright sunshine.

No one is trying to deny it rains a bit in Vancouver, and sometimes it can rain a lot, but to say it rains all the time is just rubbish. Why do you feel the need to post it?

Last edited by JonboyE; Jun 27th 2011 at 10:36 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:45 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
No it doesn't.

Edited to add: It does get tiresome to keep having to repeat this, but taken from Environment Canada's website (the weather station at UBC):

No one is trying to deny it rains a bit in Vancouver, and sometimes it can rain a lot, but to say it rains all the time is just rubbish. Why do you feel the need to post it?
People are allowed to express an opinion, if it is put forward as such, in much the same way as others have for Moncton ( some despite never having visited ).
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Lets face it all Canadian cities are crap.
Very intelligent statement, based upon first hand knowledge?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:14 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Tangram
People are allowed to express an opinion, if it is put forward as such, in much the same way as others have for Moncton ( some despite never having visited ).
I have never been to Moncton and have expressed no opinion about it.

Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion and if I said

a) I thought that housing in Vancouver was great value for money

it would just be an opinion. Not a very helpful opinion, but an opinion nonetheless. If I said

b) you could buy a four bedroom single family home in Vancouver for $150,000

it would obviously not be true.

If I said

c) housing in Vancouver is cheap

it could be an opinion but is presented as a fact. 1% of the people reading it would consider it an opinion and 99% would think it was obviously not true. (Percentages made up 30 seconds ago).

It is the same with the "rains all the time" comments. It is not an opinion that anyone in their right minds would consider justified. I get that some people don't like Vancouver. I am happy to give them a ride to the airport. But, I think to give the reason why it is so **** here is because it "rains all the time" is no better than the wanting to leave the UK because it "is full of chavs/going to the dogs" type of comments which rightly are derided by many posters.

I like to think that us longer-term posters can still provide readers with some useful information from time to time.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:17 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been to Moncton and have expressed no opinion about it.

Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion and if I said

a) I thought that housing in Vancouver was great value for money

it would just be an opinion. Not a very helpful opinion, but an opinion nonetheless. If I said

b) you could buy a four bedroom single family home in Vancouver for $150,000

it would obviously not be true.

If I said

c) housing in Vancouver is cheap

it could be an opinion but is presented as a fact. 1% of the people reading it would consider it an opinion and 99% would think it was obviously not true. (Percentages made up 30 seconds ago).

It is the same with the "rains all the time" comments. It is not an opinion that anyone in their right minds would consider justified. I get that some people don't like Vancouver. I am happy to give them a ride to the airport. But, I think to give the reason why it is so **** here is because it "rains all the time" is no better than the wanting to leave the UK because it "is full of chavs/going to the dogs" type of comments which rightly are derided by many posters.

I like to think that us longer-term posters can still provide readers with some useful information from time to time.
I don't to want to get in an argument JB ( as I appreciate help you have given in the past ), but if one starts telling people how to post, one is on a sticky wicket. I speak from personal exp.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

No it doesn't.

In all honesty it does rain quite a bit especially in the last nine months. It's raining right now.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

I don't to want to get in an argument JB
Me neither. And it is just starting to rain now.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:34 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

effing rain.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:42 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaaah Brits and their weather
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:48 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

We had monsoon conditions Saturday. Glad to say it's been 28 here today. A pleasant change from what is so far a wettish Summer.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

We had monsoon conditions Saturday. Glad to say it's been 28 here today. A pleasant change from what is so far a wettish Summer.
For the first twenty days of June we only had four days with no measurable rain. The weather office seems to have quite recording anything after the 20th, I wonder if there is a message of sorts there.

It's a nice sunny 22C today.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is a very varied City if you include the suburbs. I used to really want to live downtown but the novelty has worn off and I'm happy out in the burbs, and despite Surrey's bad rap I think it's a fairly acceptable City and has all the facilities you come to expect, and many new housing developments at affordable prices.

I can understand the reasons people dislike the place, nowhere is perfect after all, but there is just some things here I really enjoy, like the selection of restaurants, the laid back west-coast culture, the style of government (ignoring BCRail and the HST). I think my main gripe is that I wish things were a bit neat and tidier, it seems like many immigrants set up very cheap and shabby looking stores down roads like Hastings and Kingsway. In terms of that and classiness, Seattle blows Vancouver out the water.

Vancouver is definitely a city which won't just be awesome for you automatically, you have to make an effort and keep focussed on what you want to achieve. You might have to start small but I still think it's worth it.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

What is the definition of City in Canada? Everywhere I go seems to be a city, notwithstanding the fact that, for the most party, they are towns and, by UK standards, small ones at that.

Any ideas? It is size of population?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.