Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do UK tv's work in canada?

Do UK tv's work in canada?

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do UK tv's work in canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Because, if you get a Canadian one, it'll just have a load of American shows with lots of adverts and the occasional CTV or CBC production to cure insomnia. If you have a UK one it'll show the BBC and Channel 4 and all of that stuff.

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:03 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Because, if you get a Canadian one, it'll just have a load of American shows with lots of adverts and the occasional CTV or CBC production to cure insomnia. If you have a UK one it'll show the BBC and Channel 4 and all of that stuff.
Damn. Shoulda brought my Sky dish so I could watch Sky TV. Your theory doesn't apply to radio's though cos try as I might, I can't pick up Radio 4 here.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Damn. Shoulda brought my Sky dish so I could watch Sky TV. Your theory doesn't apply to radio's though cos try as I might, I can't pick up Radio 4 here.
dbd33 has Sirius, but for some reason prefers Radio One.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

tracyandneil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Thanks for all the info! Much appreciated. Not sure when we are moving yet so could be here for another year.....

But prob wont buy one now...
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

What are you on? I want some of it!!!! LOL

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:10 am
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by macadian

(3) The expense of shipping your UK tv...not to mention the risk of it being damaged man handled etc and thus developing a fault etc on the way over
Errm, it cost me an extra 75 pounds to ship a TV worth over 1600 pounds when I bought it. So there is definitely merit in it. That shipped the TV in a custom made crate, so the likelihood of it being damaged is rather minor.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
They don't offer Radio 4, only Radio One and the World Service.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Madhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to all

Here is a company that sells converting transformers that allow you to use your UK (240V) appliances in Canada (110V):

http://www.threedoubleyou.com/convertpower.htm

I'm sure there are others.

As they tell you on the website, it is important to check the wattage of your device (it is usually written on the back next to where the power lead plugs in). I've just checked our TVs and our 42" plasma uses 380W, whilst the 50" one draws a whopping 550W! No wonder the screens get so warm.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:46 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

They don't offer Radio 4, only Radio One and the World Service.
During my last visit to the TO area I had the faintly surreal experience of driving around in a Buick Lucerne, equipped with satellite radio. Chris Moyles and an American car designed for old people seemed an odd combination.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
During my last visit to the TO area I had the faintly surreal experience of driving around in a Buick Lucerne, equipped with satellite radio. Chris Moyles and an American car designed for old people seemed an odd combination.
Much more benificial to mankind to have Chris Moyles UNDER the Buick....(having ran over him at least twice)...
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We 'threw' in two TV's into the container when we came, no extra cost to ship..
Don't forget to bring UK extension adaptor leads..real handy..
I bought two cheap transformers via e bay, ( they actually came from india !) and we used a cheap walmart DVD recorder to convert the signal, from the cable input to the TV's.
When we thought things were going to work out OK here, we bought a new TV.
Cheers
Jerry