Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do UK tv's work in canada?

Do UK tv's work in canada?

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

tracyandneil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do UK tv's work in canada?

We are thinking of buying a new one soon but if it wont work in Canada then we wont bother buying something good.. lol!

Do they work in Canada!?
Ta
x
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice
Default Re: Do UK tv's work in canada?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compat...y_of_Goods#TVs
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:10 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Further to the WIKI the answer to your question is 'possibly' but really it's not worth it. Buy a new TV when you arrive here.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

This tip may help.

Samsung do a multi-region television series that works anywhere in the world. They are purchased mainly by military personnel who move from country, and therefore negates the need for them to buy a new tv in each country.

I have one of these tv's they come with an american plug, and I just use an adaptor, which you can get from any dixons, curry's or comet.

I will be shipping this TV when I go.

I bought it, 4 years ago with taking it with me in mind.

There will be other manufacturers that do then, but you will need to ring or contact them direct.

Dont go into a store to ask, as they will tell you that the manufacturers dont do them.

I am trying to see if I can locate details for you, If I locate them I PM you the details.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:30 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracyandneil
We are thinking of buying a new one soon but if it wont work in Canada then we wont bother buying something good.. lol!

Do they work in Canada!?
Ta
x
i live in kent.....we're going end of jan....i have telly's to get ride of, do you want one? it'll do you until you go to canada.....PM me...

....we're not taking anything electrical unless it converts from 110/240....sooooooo not worth it. it won't work properly and converters are expensive....
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Further to the WIKI the answer to your question is 'possibly' but really it's not worth it. Buy a new TV when you arrive here.
If it works, surely its worth it.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
If it works, surely its worth it.
Not really....

(1) your warranty on your UK purchased TV won't be worth anything in Canada

(2) Your 'bought in Canada TV' will likely be cheaper...and warrantied!

(3) The expense of shipping your UK tv...not to mention the risk of it being damaged man handled etc and thus developing a fault etc on the way over

The only scenario where I can see the advantage would be if you have a 'pile' of videos and video player on the European format then bring a UK TV would allow you to veiw them without the need for a mulii region TV and they tend to be a tad expensive depending on the size/features you want.

NOTE: For those looking at multi-region TV's, see:

http://www.samstores.com/Store.asp?CtgID=409

Last edited by macadian; Jan 2nd 2009 at 3:16 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

We brought our DAEWOO small LCD with us as it was 2 yrs old. Anyway we changed the kettle lead on it to a canadian one. We also had to get FIL to bring over an ariel lead as the metal part that goes into the TV was different to the ones here. TV works great and darling son uses it for his computer games and DVD's.

Also brought my CD/Radio player as that was too new to leave, sell or throw anyway this also works well. Hubby just changed the plug over.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:27 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Any TV by Canadian stds will be small, I bought my 54" rear projection DLP here from costco on sale for $950. I remember my last 28" widescreen in UK costing 450 quid!

Plus theres the PAL/NTSC issue to deal with, Id get one here. The same cost if not cheaper and way less hassle!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 4:00 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
i live in kent.....we're going end of jan....i have telly's to get ride of, do you want one? it'll do you until you go to canada.....PM me...

....we're not taking anything electrical unless it converts from 110/240....sooooooo not worth it. it won't work properly and converters are expensive....
$20/$30 for a converter - hardly bank breaking and it will work properly. But I wouldn't buy a TV just before moving over here.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macadian
Not really....

(1) your warranty on your UK purchased TV won't be worth anything in Canada

(2) Your 'bought in Canada TV' will likely be cheaper...and warrantied!

(3) The expense of shipping your UK tv...not to mention the risk of it being damaged man handled etc and thus developing a fault etc on the way over

The only scenario where I can see the advantage would be if you have a 'pile' of videos and video player on the European format then bring a UK TV would allow you to veiw them without the need for a mulii region TV and they tend to be a tad expensive depending on the size/features you want.

NOTE: For those looking at multi-region TV's, see:

http://www.samstores.com/Store.asp?CtgID=409
We didnt bring our TV, because it wouldnt work, but if it had, it wouldnt have cost me anything extra to ship it with the rest of my furniture. I was particularly pissed off because it was a 42" plasma that I bought only a year before.
Warranties, I dont really care for. I've never had a TV breakdown within the first 12 months.
Buying a new TV cost me $1000. I'd have saved that much if my UK TV worked.
I dont see the point in splashing out on a new TV if the UK TV worked.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

But why on earth would you lash out on a new TV just before moving? It's not as if they are hard to come by in Canada!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:49 pm
Humm

Chipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really nice

Hello
Here are some of the thing to think about, when taking a UK TV to Canada
1) Voltage UK = 240vac, Canada = 110Vac
2) Transition system UK = PAL, Canada = NTSC
3) Warranty world wide?
4) Cost and space in shipping container.

1) The voltage can be converted, at a cost would need a box (if the TV has on the back “110/240v" then it should work on Canada mains.

2) There system can be converted, at a cost would need a box. Check the manual if the TV can pick up PAL and NTSC ok, it should work in Canada BUT most TV that say NTSC will only accept NTSC threw the SCART, so you would need a Canadian box e.g. VCR or cable box to change the channels as the TV could not be able to do so its self.

3) Warranty check it, UK only you will probably be on your own, if like some (usually manufactures 1year only) it could be world wide.

4)Every time I go over to Canada electrical good have seamed to be cheaper over there. (Use Google for comparison). But if you have one that will work in Canada and have space in your container then why not.

Would I take a TV over? Yes I am looking at doing that it would be a multi - region TV, I have. That is only as I have a lot of old VCR tapes which some are family ones (and no time to convert to DVD).
Would I by one just before going unless I needed to watch UK VCR tapes probably No, to easy to get damaged and I have enough of fixing TVs.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

A Sony will work in any county,
Sony fit a universal transformer in there equipment, most up to date tv's have a pal/nstc option so you dont have to worry about region either.
I have a samsung 40 inch lcd and debating to take with us.
I bought my sony ps3 in new york last year and was told it wouldnt work in UK by store attendant, but I took a chance because it was Sony, plugged it in and switched on at arms length. It worked!
chris

Last edited by englishintruder; Jan 2nd 2009 at 9:15 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
But why on earth would you lash out on a new TV just before moving? It's not as if they are hard to come by in Canada!
Because, if you get a Canadian one, it'll just have a load of American shows with lots of adverts and the occasional CTV or CBC production to cure insomnia. If you have a UK one it'll show the BBC and Channel 4 and all of that stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.