Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do I need a humidifier in Toronto?

Do I need a humidifier in Toronto?

Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

canadagirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need a humidifier in Toronto?

Hi! Would you be able to tell me if I need a humidifier in Toronto? I am coming from dry weather where we use humidifier at least 3 months a year. Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

nfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do I need a humidifier in Toronto?

Originally Posted by canadagirl
Hi! Would you be able to tell me if I need a humidifier in Toronto? I am coming from dry weather where we use humidifier at least 3 months a year. Thanks for your advice.
Not really. But a dehumidifier would be useful. Personally I wouldn't have survived last summer without having the bedroom air-conditioned ... well I would have, but I wouldn't have pretty miserable for many weeks ...

Nick
Old Mar 17th 2006, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

In summer no way, the heat is very humid. In winter however you might. I've been thinking about it recently. It can get very dry when you get long spells of cold temperatures and no moisture anywhere, especially coupled with the air conditioning systems in most offices and buildings. I currently find the skin on my hands getting so dry they bleed. Possibly a humidifier would be a good idea.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

nfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wizzard
In summer no way, the heat is very humid. In winter however you might. I've been thinking about it recently. It can get very dry when you get long spells of cold temperatures and no moisture anywhere, especially coupled with the air conditioning systems in most offices and buildings. I currently find the skin on my hands getting so dry they bleed. Possibly a humidifier would be a good idea.
I was pondering this a bit more ... if one is prone to dry skin and such, then a humidifier may help when you get the good cold snaps. But even then, I haven't found Toronto as bad as colder Canadian cities. Though you might find there are years when you'd never turn it on (though 2 years ago, I never turned on my air-conditioner). Depends on the type of heat you have as well.

Nick
Old Mar 17th 2006, 11:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly houses in Toronto are heated with forced air, that it is a lot of duct work hooked up to a furnace. The furnace will typically have a drum humidifier, that is a tray of stagnant water covered in scum and mould through which a drum of foam plastic turns. These humidifiers don't work very well but for a $150 or so Home Depot will sell you a "flow through" humidifier which plugs into the duct work and works much better.

I think most people would say you need a humidifier here in the winter, certainly visitors from Arizona complain about getting dry skin here. Some people complain about the heat and humidity in summer, and it does get almost like Houston, but to my mind there's enough cold and misery in the winter, anything warm is good even if the government tells you to stay indoors and not to breathe.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by canadagirl
YES!!! You won't need one in the summer, but as soon as you have to start running your heat you will want a humidifier as it gets very dry. If I don't run one, I get splits in my lips and very dry skin so I keep one going all winter.