Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DO ALL your homework :0)

DO ALL your homework :0)

Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

little flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant future
Default Re: DO ALL your homework :0)

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
I think thats the the reason the op made her post. Lots of folks do get caught up in the dream. Maybe they are not in the lucky position of having lots of canadian contacts to provide answers for them.
Hopefully these fora help people find out about the potential negative points of their new life. Lots of posts tend to be a bit self congratulatory or painting a distinctly rosey glow of life , rather than focussing on the things that are not immediately apparent but can bite you on the bum and spoil your day.
ss
My bum still hurts
we did lots of homework visited NS found out cost of living mortgage etc etc we DIDNT find out how much TAX etc we would have to pay, My hubby gets paid $1105.74 Gross he takes home $680. Now that we didnt take into account
Life here is great BUT I think realistically for our families future we may have to move back to the Uk
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by little flower
My bum still hurts
we did lots of homework visited NS found out cost of living mortgage etc etc we DIDNT find out how much TAX etc we would have to pay, My hubby gets paid $1105.74 Gross he takes home $680. Now that we didnt take into account
Life here is great BUT I think realistically for our families future we may have to move back to the Uk
Good grief, is tax really that high? Does anyone have a link to a page explaining about the tax system in Canada?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dboy
However, loss of position and having to start over, no relatives to ease child care issues, and loss of equity on top of relocation costs are factors that need to be seriously considered.

of course every person's life circumstance differs, as much as their priorities do. but are these really the most pivotal areas of consideration?

loss of position to me is a kind of bonus... you get to hit the bottom rung running, aware of what lies (theoretically) before you and thus have experience to ascend without past mistakes.

starting over is no bad thing. tis why there are 'gimmes' in golf

i have no kids and the few relatives i do have are spread wide and thin anyways....

it is true that a loss of value to my savings due to the current currency exchange horror is a troublesome thing to swallow, but that is life...

and relocation costs are inversely proportional to how light you travel.... as part of the 'start over' logic, i am thinking of taking over next to nothing.

i am suddenly left feeling a bit gung ho about it all!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Originally Posted by riosangel
Good grief, is tax really that high? Does anyone have a link to a page explaining about the tax system in Canada?
YIKES! I had no idea that tax was that high. I have an idea of what I could be earning when I qualify, but no one has ever explained the tax to me. I sure hope this isn't the norm...

ETA Just looked at the tax calculator though and see that I could lose about $1000 pm on tax deductions, seems like a lot until I checked what I lose here on tax and NI and I lose about £4000 per year here, about $7000, so all in all it isn't that bad, bear in mind I have a much lower pay here. Is there any other deductions I need to be aware of?

Last edited by Summer-Caitlin; Feb 25th 2009 at 3:28 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:31 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

My bum still hurts
He is losing 38.5% to deductions that seems awfully high even for Canada.

For that level I can only assume that's a weekly salary but even then the deductions seem to be too high.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:36 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

For that level I can only assume that's a weekly salary but even then the deductions seem to be too high.
Maybe he's signed up for an expensive range of benefits. I agree that 38.5% off the top is way above the norm and I would question it.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

little flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant future

Yeah that is weekly, that includes Health and Detal. For a family of 4.
Still pooh!!! lol
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:40 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that is weekly, that includes Health and Detal.
Still pooh!!! lol
How much is the deduction for dental coverage and what does it cover ? If it covers braces and such then it will be expensive.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
How much is the deduction for dental coverage and what does it cover ? If it covers braces and such then it will be expensive.
Dental is $7.92 weekly.
We have 2 young kids so need good cover. :0)
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:46 pm
Bon Vivant

Dental is $7.92 weekly.
We have 2 young kids so need good cover. :0)
If it is only $7.92 a week for a family of four, which sounds cheap, then I would certainly question every other deduction.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:46 pm

I wonder if he is being taxed as a single man with no dependants.

If you are not working he should confirm with payroll that he is being deducted as married with two children.

Maybe that will help?

If he fills in this form and gives it to payroll they might be able to confirm or fix his tax rate. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/td1/td1-09e.pdf

If you are not working he should be able to claim the basic $10,100 for himself $10,100 for you and $2,089 for each of the children for a total claim of $24,378

Last edited by Steve_P; Feb 25th 2009 at 4:03 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:48 pm
Bon Vivant

I wonder if he is being taxed as a single man with no dependants.

If you are not working he should confirm with payroll that he is being deducted as married with two children.

Maybe that will help?
Good point Steve.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
of course every person's life circumstance differs, as much as their priorities do. but are these really the most pivotal areas of consideration?

loss of position to me is a kind of bonus... you get to hit the bottom rung running, aware of what lies (theoretically) before you and thus have experience to ascend without past mistakes.

starting over is no bad thing. tis why there are 'gimmes' in golf

i have no kids and the few relatives i do have are spread wide and thin anyways....

it is true that a loss of value to my savings due to the current currency exchange horror is a troublesome thing to swallow, but that is life...

and relocation costs are inversely proportional to how light you travel.... as part of the 'start over' logic, i am thinking of taking over next to nothing.

i am suddenly left feeling a bit gung ho about it all!
The lighter you travel the more you gotta buy!

having said that you dont need to buy it all at once!

We brought over a few boxes, irreplaceable things - family pics, professional text books, kids toys

We bought the cheapest sofa/beds/tables and chairs we could and a 18 inch telly to amuse this kids - its a bit like being a student again. Still in rented house 18 months later and so havent felt the need to update yet - not sure we could afford to just yet anyhow (ikea doesnt arrive until 2012 - if we are still here we might be able to afford some newer stuff!)
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:03 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I have 35% of my salary lost in various deductions - this breakdown might help explain things:

Canada Pension Plan
EI
Federal income tax
Provincial tax
Union dues
Long term disability
Short term disability
Employers pension

Taxable benefits also include life insurance and medical cover.

These are all compulsory deductions, and it makes the take-home pay seem fairly slim, but having said that Mrs Rich has needed 4 crowns this month (total cost to us was $125), and prescriptions are 100% covered as are all opticians and contact lens costs.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H
I have 35% of my salary lost in various deductions - this breakdown might help explain things:

Canada Pension Plan
EI
Federal income tax
Provincial tax
Union dues
Long term disability
Short term disability
Employers pension

Taxable benefits also include life insurance and medical cover.

These are all compulsory deductions, and it makes the take-home pay seem fairly slim, but having said that Mrs Rich has needed 4 crowns this month (total cost to us was $125), and prescriptions are 100% covered as are all opticians and contact lens costs.
I know 3.5% is not a lot but 34-35% is more what I would have expected for total deductions for a couple or even taxed as single no kids.

38.5% total deductions for married, wife not working and two kids just seems too high to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.