Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Disposable employees

Disposable employees

Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Disposable employees

Originally Posted by michelle101
Hi everyone,

Oooo this is a worry! So if you get fired over there because your face doesn't fit etc.. even though your good at your job will this affect you getting another job?

How will future prospective employers look on this firing? What do you put on your resume especially if you've only been there for a few months?
The company I work for just puts it down to "reorganisation". Saves them a lot of trouble. I do not know what other companies will put.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michelle101
Oooo this is a worry! So if you get fired over there because your face doesn't fit etc..
It shouldn't be a worry. I've been in Canada for coming up to eleven years and I've not known of anyone being fired simply because their "face didn't fit".

I have always worked in or around the small business sector, in non-unionized environments, and in companies run by cradles and fellow immigrants. I only speak from my experience.

Although I don't know of anyone fired because their face didn't fit, I've know quite a few let go because of their attitude (and this isn't intended to cast any aspersions on previous posters):

* There is the cultural dullard. This is often a very pleasant person but one who just won't acknowledge that "things are done differently around here".

* There is God's gift to mankind. This one knows so much more than everyone else and is not afraid of letting them know.

* There is the malcontent. Worse than God's gift, nothing is ever good enough and don't you know about it?

The essence of a business is that it creates more customer value by collaborative working than people can create on their own. Someone who, wittingly or unwittingly, gets in the way of the company creating that extra value is likely to be let go regardless of their skills. If you keep this in mind you should be fine.

The flip side, of course, is that employers are much more likely to give a newbie a chance if they know they can quickly and easily let them go if it doesn't work out - whether it is the employer's or the employee's fault.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

A quick heads up to Ontarians.... Chris Hedges who was referred to above is about to be interviewed by Alan Gregg on TVO, 6:30 pm EST.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 12:35 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It shouldn't be a worry. I've been in Canada for coming up to eleven years and I've not known of anyone being fired simply because their "face didn't fit".

The flip side, of course, is that employers are much more likely to give a newbie a chance if they know they can quickly and easily let them go if it doesn't work out - whether it is the employer's or the employee's fault.
Quoted because I agree. I actually don't know many people who have been fired. This thread might make it seem like it happens all the time, but thinking among my acquaintances, I don't know many people it's happened (a) and (b) where it has happened, there's been an extenuating reason like the business is going down the shitter. I was fired from my first job back in the workforce because the business had lost 100,000 dollars in 3 months; the guy admitted as much. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise: I got a much better paid job a week later.

I also agree that the flipside of the hire/fire mentality is that it's easier to find opportunities. And I also don't think the stigma is as bad here as it might be in other countries. For example, I was working in a big firm before my latest job, and people seemed to get let go/re-hired according to need. It was not personal. However, they also got bonuses etc. at the ends of projects to tide them over. Sometimes it's not about you, it's really about whether there is work or not.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Mar 22nd 2010 at 12:42 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 12:51 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Quoted because I agree. I actually don't know many people who have been fired. This thread might make it seem like it happens all the time, but thinking among my acquaintances, I don't know many people it's happened to where there hasn't been an extenuating reason like the business is going down the shitter. I was fired from my first job back in the workforce because the business had lost 100,000 dollars in 3 months; the guy admitted as much.

I also agree that the flipside of the hire/fire mentality is that it's easier to find opportunities. And I also don't think the stigma is as bad here as it might be in other countries. For example, I was working in a big firm before my latest job, and people seemed to get let go/re-hired according to need. It was not personal. However, they also got bonuses etc. at the ends of projects to tide them over. Sometimes it's not about you, it's really about whether there is work or not.
Whatever the law says, people where I work don't seem to think they are any more or less secure here than the people in equivalent jobs in the UK. They have mortgages and other normal things that people in relatively secure employment have. The company I work for is a multinational where it's what you know rather than who you know; not sure if this makes any difference as this isn't the normal canadian way apparently.

I'll also admit that I fit into one of JonboyE's stereotypes (but I'm not telling which one it is)
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:36 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Whatever the law says, people where I work don't seem to think they are any more or less secure here than the people in equivalent jobs in the UK. They have mortgages and other normal things that people in relatively secure employment have. The company I work for is a multinational where it's what you know rather than who you know; not sure if this makes any difference as this isn't the normal canadian way apparently.

I'll also admit that I fit into one of JonboyE's stereotypes (but I'm not telling which one it is)
2nd one
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:08 am
Just Joined

jeshas is just really nicejeshas is just really nicejeshas is just really nicejeshas is just really nicejeshas is just really nicejeshas is just really nicejeshas is just really nicejeshas is just really nice

Originally Posted by albertabound
I have worked in Canada for just 3 months and every week someone is "fired".
No one bats an eyelid. It seems to be the norm.
One manager was fired because they had "philosophical differences" with the owner!! It doesnt seem to matter where on the hierarchy you are. Anyone is very dispensible.
My position was made into a permanent one last week which is good but I have never felt so insecure in any job before.
It is very different to the UK.
Welcome to the "american way of life" -- Well, "always look at the bright side": it's also easier to get hired.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

I have always worked in or around the small business sector, in non-unionized environments, and in companies run by cradles and fellow immigrants. I only speak from my experience.

Although I don't know of anyone fired because their face didn't fit, I've know quite a few let go because of their attitude (and this isn't intended to cast any aspersions on previous posters):

* There is the cultural dullard. This is often a very pleasant person but one who just won't acknowledge that "things are done differently around here".

* There is God's gift to mankind. This one knows so much more than everyone else and is not afraid of letting them know.

* There is the malcontent. Worse than God's gift, nothing is ever good enough and don't you know about it?

The essence of a business is that it creates more customer value by collaborative working than people can create on their own. Someone who, wittingly or unwittingly, gets in the way of the company creating that extra value is likely to be let go regardless of their skills. If you keep this in mind you should be fine.

The 3 examples of "attitude" you have given there, are rocking the boat in my opinion, and if these people are forced out as a result, they have only got themselves to blame. I think we all know of those 3 examples no matter where you work!

I feel in Canada "fitting in" is very important and high on the priority list, as long as you are reasonble at your job too.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Mar 24th 2010 at 4:25 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:28 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
The 3 examples of "attitude" you have given there, are rocking the boat in my opinion, and if these people are forced out as a result, they have only got themselves to blame. I think we all know of those 3 examples no matter where you work!

I feel in Canada "fitting in" is very important and high on the priority list, as long as you are reasonble at your job too.
Everyone is guilty of those attitudes to an extent. In fact an employee who doesn't question the way things are done, doesn't think they are good at their job, and thinks everything is perfect the way it is is no kind of employee at all - at least in any thinking profession.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Everyone is guilty of those attitudes to an extent. In fact an employee who doesn't question the way things are done, doesn't think they are good at their job, and thinks everything is perfect the way it is is no kind of employee at all - at least in any thinking profession.
This IS an absolute truth imo. One of the overpowering reasons for the economic failures of governments (whether political, business or financial) is because differences are silenced in the name of 'effectiveness". How many times does this have to be proved in the colossal way it has been already? Set
"matrix's", conformity, and blind subservience kill creativity and progress dont they?. However, if Canada only wants new canadians to be slaves, then the coming years are going to be a rude awakening.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:03 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
This IS an absolute truth imo. One of the overpowering reasons for the economic failures of governments (whether political, business or financial) is because differences are silenced in the name of 'effectiveness". How many times does this have to be proved in the colossal way it has been already? Set
"matrix's", conformity, and blind subservience kill creativity and progress dont they?. However, if Canada only wants new canadians to be slaves, then the coming years are going to be a rude awakening.
Can't say I've experienced blind subservience nor am I expected to conform. I'd say being adaptable and open to new ideas is an advantage.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Can't say I've experienced blind subservience nor am I expected to conform. I'd say being adaptable and open to new ideas is an advantage.
Precisely. This only works if it works both ways in the relationship. Again, the point is that new canadians are necessarily more open and more adaptable, but are faced with a closed minded ultra defensive, easily insulted, ignorant establishment.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:15 pm

wheat, where did you live? I'm now curious. you can PM if you'd prefer.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.... but there is a time to be DEstructive and a time to be ....constructive along with related methods like a nice portion of diplomacy... a pinch of asertiveness.... and zero "i am a know it all" even if a person does....no one does of course....no one is perfect.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I agree.... but there is a time to be DEstructive and a time to be ....constructive along with related methods like a nice portion of diplomacy... a pinch of asertiveness.... and zero "i am a know it all" even if a person does....no one does of course....no one is perfect.
An intelligent employee, even a shareholder, has a duty to point out when his employer is being Destructive. It is not a question of being a "know it all" when an employee expresses alarm which reflects customers and a majority of colleagues opinions. IMO it is a rare 'know it all' who isnt in management anyway. What is one to do if diplomacy is perceived as 'manipulativeness'. Wasnt this scenario the case with Lehman brothers? Which then begs the question: can Canadian financial reporting regulations be relied upon if employees have to keep their mouths shut to stay employed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.