Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Disposable employees

Disposable employees

Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Disposable employees

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
An interesting situation, which others might draw some parallels between how things are done in Canada and in the UK....

I got a job at the start of the year. I got the sack at the start of yesterday.

Disappointed i might be, but bitter i am not. And so this is not a diatribe against ex-bosses, companies and the like.

However, whilst i realise i am still within the (seemingly global) standard of 3 month's probation where employers can basically do whatever they like, i do feel a slight element of injustice in my dismissal.

Without going into any specifics, my role was a new one to the company. They seemed to want to exploit my 10 years experience from the Euro-zone. As such, they offered me no Job Spec, no Job description, no guidance of any kind. They showed me how they did things and expected me to fit in and start to tweak it.

I worked hard, cleared my in tray every day, arrived early and usually left late. No feedback was offered, although the occasional exclamation of dissatisfaction arose. But surely such were mere teething pains no? Certainly nothing sustained. My efforts to tweak were often denied, so i tried smaller more 'covert' steps in development....

And so the first and second meetings i had with any official quality to them, was my hiring and then my firing. Nowt in between. The Canada Gov doc that came with my severance cheque stated dismissal due to 'unsatisfactory performance'. Considering the above to be true, is this reasonable?

I guess this post is just an effort to gain sympathy from a bunch of online strangers. My boss was a wally, but i was determined to be 'professional' and not dwell on such personal animosity. I guess he thought the same about me, but had the authority to not have to tolerate me and my strange accent?

Any hoot, live and learn. Anyone hiring?
Same happened to me, 3 days after a fantastic 6 month appraisal in which I was thanked & given a small pay rise, as well as beating all of my bonus targets. HR asked to see me, I thought to sign my PCN, instead they dismissed me "without cause".

Turned out later that another member of the team was going to be laid off but they gave him my job instead along with a much larger salary, he only lasted 1.5 months before they fired him for poor performance. They then approached me to see if I would go back!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:21 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
Same happened to me, 3 days after a fantastic 6 month appraisal in which I was thanked & given a small pay rise, as well as beating all of my bonus targets. HR asked to see me, I thought to sign my PCN, instead they dismissed me "without cause".

Turned out later that another member of the team was going to be laid off but they gave him my job instead along with a much larger salary, he only lasted 1.5 months before they fired him for poor performance. They then approached me to see if I would go back!
Did you ?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

J0n35y will become famous soon enough

They then approached me to see if I would go back!
And I hope you told them to shove it!

I take it there is simply a hiring and firing mentality in North America in general? And I'm assuming that the hiring process is fairly quick also? It's a little daunting reading peoples experiences with this at times!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J0n35y
And I'm assuming that the hiring process is fairly quick also? It's a little daunting reading peoples experiences with this at times!
God no, it can drag out for months, especially over Xmas or the summer cottage season.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

J0n35y will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iaink
God no, it can drag out for months, especially over Xmas or the summer cottage season.
I shouldve read the wiki first! Just read that the now. Thanks though. Bit of a nightmare but I suppose with careful planning and some effective networking (which I hate ) things could be minimised a little.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

And I hope you told them to shove it!

I take it there is simply a hiring and firing mentality in North America in general? And I'm assuming that the hiring process is fairly quick also? It's a little daunting reading peoples experiences with this at times!
I had great pleasure in telling them what to do with their job, I still see them from time to time and they always ask about my availability, you would think they would take a hint!

Hiring takes forever, they really overkill the whole process and make it as hard as they can, but they sure can fire easily with no comeback on themselves.

My wife was fired after 2 years exemplory service, by the manager asking what she was doing in work, my wife said she was scheduled, the manager replied, that no she wasnt and that she had quit the previous day and her resignation was accepted. Ended with the manager barring her from the premises, with no recourse from anyone. The board of diectors rejected her grievance and paid her 2 weeks pay. Done job, but she did not get EI as she had "quit"
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:56 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose with careful planning and some effective networking (which I hate ) things could be minimised a little.
You can't minimise internal process. I regularly see the hiring process where I work take 3-4 months, and 6 months isn't unusual. I waited 8 weeks between submission of application to invitation to interview (which was 2 weeks further on). Two more weeks of waiting before contact for the next stage, then a week of negotiation for a start date.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You can't minimise internal process. I regularly see the hiring process where I work take 3-4 months, and 6 months isn't unusual. I waited 8 weeks between submission of application to invitation to interview (which was 2 weeks further on). Two more weeks of waiting before contact for the next stage, then a week of negotiation for a start date.
Except when firing people it would appear from some of the tales on this thread.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:09 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Except when firing people it would appear from some of the tales on this thread.
I agree, except for in the public service, apparently. Staff here get shuffled sideways and just become another department's problem from what I've seen. 'Special assignments' seems to be the code for 'we don't know what to do with you, and can't upset the union by firing you, so we'll make stuff up until you retire.'
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

I agree, except for in the public service, apparently. Staff here get shuffled sideways and just become another department's problem from what I've seen. 'Special assignments' seems to be the code for 'we don't know what to do with you, and can't upset the union by firing you, so we'll make stuff up until you retire.'
Good one. Where I work (not unionized), "special projects" are the kiss of death. They are usually performed in offices which are conveniently located near the exit door.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that happens in the private sector when you get senior enough.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

my "hiring process", got two on-going (cause you never know):
-one has been dragging along for over 6 weeks now, and is for a job I applied for a year ago. They then hired someone who did not have the skills for the job but was Canadian. They recontacted me, and now they seem anything but hurried to get me (or anyone else for that matter) into the job
-the other one: it's been four weeks, and they would like me to start on April 1, but still no confirmation from them...

"Hire and fire"?
maybe,
but they certainly aren't quicker than France for the "hire" part.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

I have exemplary service of 21 years the last 6 of which I carried (with colleagues of similar years of service) a massive load created by massive internal company changes. It resulted in several of us falling ill due to hypertension, stress etc.. Anyway, I took Dr prescribed sick leave but my employer decided that I had abandoned my job (2 weeks into treatment) and terminated me. The shocker was that the Ontario Labour Board sided with the company despite doctor's evidence that I would almost definitely have suffered a stroke had I not taken the time to get well and into treatment!!!o me, there's something amiss in a system such as it exists where justice is delivered only at the behest of money. MPPs dont want to know...too much above their intellect, lawyers want tens of thousands up front to fight in court, and the wonderful civil rights advocacy groups are overwhelmed right now with similar cases all over Ontario. Companies today, with govt subtlety are dumping employees onto the taxpayer in order to avoid long service employee pension contributions, health plans etc.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:45 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear about that, wheatsheaf.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:30 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
I have exemplary service of 21 years the last 6 of which I carried (with colleagues of similar years of service) a massive load created by massive internal company changes. It resulted in several of us falling ill due to hypertension, stress etc.. Anyway, I took Dr prescribed sick leave but my employer decided that I had abandoned my job (2 weeks into treatment) and terminated me. The shocker was that the Ontario Labour Board sided with the company despite doctor's evidence that I would almost definitely have suffered a stroke had I not taken the time to get well and into treatment!!!o me, there's something amiss in a system such as it exists where justice is delivered only at the behest of money. MPPs dont want to know...too much above their intellect, lawyers want tens of thousands up front to fight in court, and the wonderful civil rights advocacy groups are overwhelmed right now with similar cases all over Ontario. Companies today, with govt subtlety are dumping employees onto the taxpayer in order to avoid long service employee pension contributions, health plans etc.
bastards!!! sorry to hear that !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.