Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with Canadian Church...

Disappointed with Canadian Church...

Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all
Default Re: Disappointed with Canadian Church...

We had the Welcome Wagon lady round when we first moved here, she was explaining where everything was in town and when it came to churches she started trying to explain where the Catholic church was...her face was priceless whenever we explained we weren't Catholic nor were either of us religious! It was kinda amusing. However there seems to be loads of churches around, certainly no shortage of them so hopefully you find what you're looking for...sometimes these Canadians can seem a little reserved so maybe introduce yourself to them all and see?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
There are also a great many people that do go to church who live very good lives and help others. Far worse has been in the name of political ideology than has been done in the name of religion.
Disagree entirely. Take a look at the way the church dominated europe in the middle ages, had people put to death and imprisoned. The Salem witch hunt, catholic priests accused of child molestation, missionaries that have forced Christianity on other religions as they were 'heathens', the current issues in the middle east over religion, persecution of one religion over another. The 'Holy War' and the crusades. Each side praying for victory, so they can maim and kill their opponent. All good stuff eh!

Sure politics & politicians have played their role in the world problems and wars, as has human greed. This still does not excuse or negate the role religion has played throughout history.

I am sure there are plenty of people who go to church that live a good life, but there are those who profess to be religious and in no way live by what they preach.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:49 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Sure politics & politicians have played their role in the world problems and wars, as has human greed. This still does not excuse or negate the role religion has played throughout history.
WW1, WW2, Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, Mao.............have killed and tortured far more than any religious conflict.

I suggest reading John Humphry's excellent book, In God We Doubt - Confessions of a Failed Atheist.

Don't disagree with you on the fact that religion has caused pain and suffering, but as always its the fanatics that distort things to their own agenda............the basis of the main religious all preach love to fellow man and to respect each other.

.......and no I'm not particularly religious.

Last edited by Brownstar; Jul 17th 2009 at 5:53 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Was there any reason to believe that church attendance would eradicate hypocrisy from the human condition?

Lots of people in Canada are church goers, more so than in the UK I suspect. But they are still human and will still exhibit the usual weaknesses.

Arguing about which has caused more trouble, religion or politics, seems to miss the point that the two are inextricably linked to the pursuit of power, which is probably the real problem. This probably is not the right forum for that debate though, so if you want to do that please start a thread in TIO
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:55 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
This probably is not the right forum for that debate though, so if you want to do that please start a thread in TIO
Then move it rather than try to shut down what is turning into an interesting debate
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Then move it rather than try to shut down what is turning into an interesting debate
Its a thread about finding social acceptance at a church in canada and therfore is in the right forum here. It was doing just fine up until just before noon. Really I should just close it as its probably served its purpose. Im not sure two off topic posts out of 20 counts as interesting debate anyway.

If you guys want to go off at a tangent and discuss the evil nature of religion and politics which was never the original agenda here, then there are plenty of old threads to chose from in TIO already, where those topics tend to belong.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 7:55 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

When we came over here many years ago we went to a Free Methodist church in Scarborough and were knocked out at how friendly they were. There were greeters on the door and as we went in somebody else spoke to us and picked up our English accent and proceeded to introduce us to another English couple after the service. We got to know a lot of people there and stayed for 9 years until we left the area but since we still keep in touch with friends we made it still remains a friendly church. As we moved into other areas we have found other churches to be friendly but sometimes you have to make the move and introduce yourself to the Pastor and others.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:48 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its a thread about finding social acceptance at a church in canada and therfore is in the right forum here. It was doing just fine up until just before noon. Really I should just close it as its probably served its purpose. Im not sure two off topic posts out of 20 counts as interesting debate anyway.

If you guys want to go off at a tangent and discuss the evil nature of religion and politics which was never the original agenda here, then there are plenty of old threads to chose from in TIO already, where those topics tend to belong.
I'd managed to restrained myself on this one - I would so end up being banned. (Brownstar - if you want this debate, I'll be over it like a rash)
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:25 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'd managed to restrained myself on this one - I would so end up being banned. (Brownstar - if you want this debate, I'll be over it like a rash)
That would be a shame
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

austinallegro will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Flogger
That would be a shame
I got married in a catholic church in Scarborough in 1987 and the priest was an old Irish guy who boasted about how he never let the Union Jack inside any of his churches. I have an English accent and an Irish name I guess he figured one trumped the other. Back to the point, I am still going to that church and the priest, Fr. Thomas More, is excellent and friendly. It just takes time to acclimatise. Even Catholic masses can vary significantly (albeit not at all on certain crucial points) around the globe. Obviously, Protestants have the advantage of being able to pick and choose a bit more to suit personal taste.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:10 am
Banned

It would be fairly pointless as we would just end up going round in circles.........I'm of the opinion that people's belief systems are just that, their own and neither side (religious, atheist, agnostic) should force their views down the others throats.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:12 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be fairly pointless as we would just end up going round in circles.........I'm of the opinion that people's belief systems are just that, their own and neither side (religious, atheist, agnostic) should force their views down the others throats.
A bit like 99.99% of threads then... but fair enough.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:49 am
Banned

A bit like 99.99% of threads then... but fair enough.
Which I doesn't bother me but like I say my belief system is different to yours and there is no point arguing about it...........that sort of behaviour causes wars.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

katie1962 will become famous soon enough

We go to a great church in Missisauga - very welcoming, made some good friends and spiritually it was just what we needed after the stuffiness of high Anglican churches in the UK. Yes, we dance and sing loudly,but isn't that one of the reasons for church - to celebrate faith. I think you need to try another church
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

You don't go to church because of religion you go because of faith in God. To be with people who believe as you do.

Why do people go to bars? to be with friends who want to spend time together. Church can be the same. There will always be some who say one thing and live another. But God is their judge not us! Take a look around the world there will always be hypocrites in everything..take a look at most governments!

Religion doesn't start wars, fanatics do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.